Re-Watching Episodes

invisiblish

[1]Feb 16, 2013
    • level: 9

With this weeks repeat of the series thus far I've begun to find new meaning in each episode.

After re-watching Episode 1 Gannicus made a remark to Spartacus that caught my attention. After their conversation about Gannicus' past with Oenomaus and his wife, Gannicus remarks that he will f*** women and drink whine in Spartacus' name and that he will take up sword to fight at the steps of the Roman Senate. I think it would be absolutely wonderful to see Spartacus and his men at war in the streets of Rome itself. I know that it is farfetched, if not ridiculous, but the idea is wonderful to dream of.

Another note: Gannicus says that he stands equal with swords to Spartacus, now take that with a grain of salt because it was he who said so, but it is interesting to note that they stand equal. It lends to the importance that Spartacus puts towards Gannicus' becoming a leader.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 75
    invisiblish wrote:

Another note: Gannicus says that he stands equal with swords to Spartacus, now take that with a grain of salt because it was he who said so, but it is interesting to note that they stand equal. It lends to the importance that Spartacus puts towards Gannicus' becoming a leader.

Which episode was this? I'd like to check that out again because just going with "Gannicus says that he stands equal with swords to Spartacus" and without context I understand that they stand equal regarding their fighting skills rather than their leadership status.

Leadership-wise, I always picture Spartacus as the leader and then, one step behind, Crixus, Agron and Gannicus stand as equal. I actually think I read that in the official site.

invisiblish

[3]Feb 17, 2013

Just after the fight with Crassus' messengers. Spartacus throws the spear and kills the lone rider. Gannicus then says his line about being equal in the sword but Spartacus would best him with the Spear. No one seemed to question his statement, though his attitude was light hearted if not half joking.

Edit: So to answer your question: Episode 1.

Edited on 02/17/2013 5:48pm

boom-moo

[4]Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks for getting back at me

Found it, around the 29'30 mark. Gannicus: "I stand your equal with sword. Yet you have me by fucking spear."

Now within context I still think that Gannicus means that they stand equal regarding their fighting skills rather than their leadership status. However, as to leadership status, I forgot that in this same episode there was a better example of this:

invisiblish wrote:

it is interesting to note that they stand equal. It lends to the importance that Spartacus puts towards Gannicus' becoming a leader.

Around the 16'40 mark, Spartacus summons Gannicus and tells him that he should have reported after battle like Crixus and Agron did. Then Spartacus says: "I would have you stand more than just another sword. Take rightful place beside Crixus and myself as a leader" but Gannicus declines. He says he will follow, fight when called upon and give his life to Spartacus' cause in honor of Oenomaus. And he adds: "I may even believe in it myself upon a day. But I am no leader, nor seek to be one."

Looks like I was wrong when I said:

boom-moo wrote:
    Leadership-wise, I always picture Spartacus as the leader and then, one step behind, Crixus, Agron and Gannicus stand as equal. I actually think I read that in the official site.
    Apparently Spartacus pictures himself and Crixus leading, hopes that Gannicus would join them and thinks of Agron as a right hand man or something. Actually Agron is the one left behind (to lead in Spartacus' place) when Spartacus, Crixus and Gannicus go to take the villa at the end of the episode.

invisiblish

[5]Feb 18, 2013
    I see it as you said beforehand: Spartacus leads with Crixus and Agron as his right and left hands. A general and 2 Colonels with Gannicus running around as more of a Sergeant of the guard. What I meant to say with the comparison of Gannicus' swordsmanship is that Spartacus sees his swordsmanship as close to his own and that it would prove useful in a more leadership role.

It seems weird to say it but it seemed that Spartacus would groom Gannicus to be his successor, more so than Agron or Crixus (who have both proven to be more hot headed than level headed). I believe Spartacus sees Gannicus' value in all lives whereas both Crixus and Agron would waste many lives for a single task (saving Naevia or fellow Germans). Even now they have both proven themselves again with Crixus and his Roman gladitorial battle while Agron battled with the pirate for Nasir. Gannicus simply knelt to Attius' side and obeyed command.

boom-moo

[6]Feb 19, 2013
    invisiblish wrote:
    What I meant to say with the comparison of Gannicus' swordsmanship is that Spartacus sees his swordsmanship as close to his own and that it would prove useful in a more leadership role.
    Oh sorry, I get you now. Yes, I agree. Spartacus, Gannicus and Crixus are pretty much of a kind when it comes to swordsmanship regardless if they have managed to beat each other in contest in the past. I guess that upon contest one might be victor once, then the other... but I think that they stand more or less equal. Agron is the one who remains a bit behind (or maybe I have that impression because he has never stood sole champion in the arena), although no doubt that he has gone a long way from the skills that he showed in the ludus (that weren't bad btw).

invisiblish wrote:
    It seems weird to say it but it seemed that Spartacus would groom Gannicus to be his successor, more so than Agron or Crixus (who have both proven to be more hot headed than level headed). I believe Spartacus sees Gannicus' value in all lives whereas both Crixus and Agron would waste many lives for a single task (saving Naevia or fellow Germans).
    I have a feeling that even though Spartacus has no doubt that Gannicus will fight by his side to the end, he somehow wishes that Gannicus had a strong motivation of his own which might push him to step up and become the leader that Spartacus wishes him to be. As Gannicus himself said in ep 1, he is yet to believe in Spartacus' cause and lacks one of his own not being honouring the memory of Oenomaus.

Swift79b

[7]Mar 21, 2013
    • level: 1
    invisiblish wrote:
    I see it as you said beforehand: Spartacus leads with Crixus and Agron as his right and left hands. A general and 2 Colonels with Gannicus running around as more of a Sergeant of the guard.

That was how I saw it in Vengeance, but the dynamics in War of the Damned have certainly changed my point of view.
    Spartacus leads with Agron AND THEN Crixus as his right and left hands. Crixus still holds his status quo amongst the rebellion but Spartacus has been relying more and Agron than Crixus lately. Crixus seems to serve more on the battlefield than in the daily runnings of their camp. And the surprise? Gannicus...
    invisiblish wrote:
    It seems weird to say it but it seemed that Spartacus would groom Gannicus to be his successor, more so than Agron or Crixus (who have both proven to be more hot headed than level headed). I believe Spartacus sees Gannicus' value in all lives whereas both Crixus and Agron would waste many lives for a single task (saving Naevia or fellow Germans). Even now they have both proven themselves again with Crixus and his Roman gladitorial battle while Agron battled with the pirate for Nasir. Gannicus simply knelt to Attius' side and obeyed command.

Funny enough, I agree... Gannicus character is evolving this season, changing from the simpleton dinking/whoremonger I loved before to this new "dark" hero, caring more for what Spartacus is fighting for.
    boom-moo wrote:
    I have a feeling that even though Spartacus has no doubt that Gannicus will fight by his side to the end, he somehow wishes that Gannicus had a strong motivation of his own which might push him to step up and become the leader that Spartacus wishes him to be. As Gannicus himself said in ep 1, he is yet to believe in Spartacus' cause and lacks one of his own not being honouring the memory of Oenomaus.

By episode 7, Gannicus seems to have found that strong motivation, thanks to the help of none other than Sybil... can't wait to see how it all pans out in the next episode!