Speed Racer

The Man on the Lam

Aired Unknown Dec 29, 1967 on

• Speed and Spritle help an escaped convict get reunited with his very young and blind daughter.

This is without a doubt the most dramatic episode in the series. It's been a good twelve years since I last saw it( I think it was on the Cartoon Network or something) however I remember that it almost made me cry when I saw it for the first time as a little kid back in the late '60's. But then, that was one of the main things that I dug about "Speed Racer"-the fact that it was often so dramatically intense. In its finest episodes, it was like an animated soap opera for kids. I do have one gripe about "Man on the Lam", though: Why isn't Trixie in it? She would have been a great big sister figure for Delicia. All the same, the episode is great, and the ending, with Delicia able to see with her father's eyes, gazing up at the sky after being told that that's all she has to do when she wants to remember her dad ("Look at the sky--what a lovely idea") tears your heart out.
  • even when Speed minds his own business, trouble finds him.

poor speed. but if he didn't get knocked out every episode, it wouldn't be a good show. it would be a show for softies. this is easly one of my favorite episodes. i mean, it has everything! the mach 5, an excaped convict, guns, people being shot with those guns, it's everything a kid could possibly ask for! my only complaint is... wait, i don't have any complaints! this episode rocked! in my book, this is one of the better episodes. it really should have been a two parter though. more could have happend. but no use crying over an episode made 40 years ago! but there is one thing I don't get. Speed has that bullet proof defector thing when he presses the "D" button. and if i had adventures like that nearly every day of my life, i would be pressing that "D" button to death. but every fan of this show has to see this episode! if you don't, you don't quilify as a speed fan.