Speed Racer

The Most Dangerous Race (Part 3)

Aired Unknown Oct 21, 1967 on

• Speed has crashed down into a deep chasm which he was attempting do jump the Mach 5 across. When he regains consciousness, he discovers that he is blind.

This episode blew me away the first time I saw it as a little kid. I was very nearly traumatized by it. SPEED IS BLIND! I was freaking out! And the horrible nightmare that Trixie has in which a figure she believes to be Speed turns around and faces her, revealing itself to be a hideous fire demon--YIKES!
    The most emotional element of this episode, though, involves the Speed/Racer X motif. Unaware, of course, of Racer X's true identity, the scene in which the two of them manage to pilot the Mach 5 along the rest of the course with Racer X (Rex) serving as Speed's eyes, while thinking to himself how proud he is that Speed is his brother, is genuinely touching. I've always wished that there were an episode in which Racer X tells Speed that he is indeed his older brother Rex. The Big Revelation would come towards the end of the episode, and it would go something like this: Rex and Speed stand facing each other. Speed removes his helmet . "I just know it's you, Rex! I know it", he says. Racer X then places his hands on Speed's shoulders. "Oh Speed, I can't keep the truth from you any longer", he says, and then removes his mask. Speed's eyes begin welling up with tears. Then they embrace--a pure and innocent brotherly love embrace, in case anybody was afraid that this was heading in an unseemly direction...