Where do the airdates come from?

Jon_Talpur

[1]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 10
    To whoever added the episode airdates for the 1981 Spider-Man show; where did you get this information from? This show was syndicated in the early 80s, and to the best of my research, no one has any copies of confirmed airdates for the series. Even confirmed airdates for the networked Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends aren't known - and that was on NBC!

If you can provide proof, that would be great. But otherwise, I'd advise all readers to take that particular data with a grain of salt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

flashgarrick

[2]Nov 25, 2005
    What's next, a petition?

Jon_Talpur

[3]Nov 30, 2005
    So...is that a petition to bring back the show to TV or DVD, or just to replace the questionable airdates? Any one of those would be fine by me for this almost-forgotten gem of a show!

flashgarrick

[4]Nov 30, 2005
    Well, no offense, but you have been hounding whoever edits both this show and the one from 1967 about the airdates. I say it's time to lighten up and relax a little.

And I agree, the TV show (and its later incarnation, "S-M and His Amazing Friends") should be brought to DVD.

Jon_Talpur

[5]Dec 1, 2005
    Well yes, I have been quite persistent with both shows. But it's only in the name of accuracy - which can really only be a good thing for TV.com in the end.

MasterAndrew23, who's editor of over 50 shows aside from this one, didn't even come forward with any claims of ever actually having seen this show in that locked forum thread.

I have seen and am a fan of both shows in their entirety, so I really can't apologize for wanting both shows to be accurately represented. It can only be good for them and for TV.com.

Sorry for being a stickler for accuracy anyway; I never knew that would ever be such a problem on an episode guides website!

dantvfan

[6]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 17
    I've found that a good source for airdates for old shows is the United States Copyright Office at www.copyright.gov. They have searchable records, and many (though not all) old TV shows can be found there. They list "publication dates", which I assume for TV shows to be airdates. For example, I found the Spider-Man 1981 series records (under "SPIDER-MAN : NO. 5001, etc.), which seem to show, that even though the copyright notices say 1981, the show actually aired starting in 1982! For example:

5001 4Sep82 Bubble, Bubble, Oil and Trouble
    5002 19Sep82 Dr. Doom, Master of the World.
    5003 26Sep82 Lizards, Lizards, Everywhere
    5004 3Oct82 Curiosity Killed The Spiderman
    5005 10Oct82 The Sandman Is Coming

To further corroborate the 1982 airdate, note that the dates in the copyright records are Saturdays, while the ones in the tv.com guide are Fridays. As I remember the 1980s, these sorts of cartoons aired on Saturday mornings, not Fridays.

I'd submit these myself, but I really have no interest in becoming editor for this show. So for someone who IS interested, you can rack up a bunch of contribution points. Just search for these records at copyright.gov (warning: the site is very slow and cumbersome).

I've also found airdates for the 1967 Fantastic Four there, and guess what, both the production codes AND the airdates are wrong on the tv.com guide!

Unfortunately, the copyright records are no help for Spider-Man 1967, as it lists all the episodes as "1Jan67". It could confirm all the production numbers, though.

Jon_Talpur

[7]Dec 24, 2005
    That's some pretty good research!

A friend and I have been in contact with writers for both the networked Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the syndicated 1981 Spider-Man show, and they did say that both shows began airing in 1981, so on the strength of that I'm still not 100% convinced the solo show aired a year later.

It's possible that those particular dates could simply indicate when the episodes were actually registered rather than when they aired (like with patents, which concentrate on the date the patent is finalized rather than when it was initially filed).

The production codes I added for the 1967 Fantastic Four were simply arbitrary ones (which I hope was obvious since they simply went 01, 02, 03...) based on a thoroughly-researched animation book that listed the episodes in production order (but without the prod. codes). Naturally if any correct-sounding production codes and airdates for any show I'm interested in are on the copyright site, I'll be adding what I can to TV.com.

Needless to say, as far as some rarer shows go, that site could be extraordinarily useful!

SpideyFan914

[8]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    Um, am I the only one who noticed that all the air dates currently up are in 2007! This makes no sense! I've never even seen the show and I know that's not right!

RaijinPaladinix

[9]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 52
    SpideyFan914 wrote:
    Um, am I the only one who noticed that all the air dates currently up are in 2007! This makes no sense! I've never even seen the show and I know that's not right!
    They were put on 2007 because the airdates were unknown. Since the episodes aired, it'd be incorrect to put them on "never aired." But this was done months ago before 2007. So according to the system, they aired New Years' Day 2007. I'm not going to do anything to the dates because I don't have the correct dates. Googling can only get you so far. I can't find any offical copyright website with the dates, so it's better to just leave the default dates there.
    Edited on 05/25/2008 6:28pm

Rahnebow

[10]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 1

Hey all:

This show, along with a ton of other 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s Marvel toons, are available on DVD, butin the UK.

Check the following sites:

www.clearvision.co.uk -- exclusive UK distributor for most all Marvel animated shows

www.amazon.co.uk -- all titles available here for sale

Mind you, these are all Region 2 DVDs - PAL format. The US and Canada is Region 1 -- NTSC format.PAL format DVDs willNOT play in the US unless you have a region-free DVD player/DVD-ROM drive or software that will allow for viewing PAL formatted DVDs on your PC.

Note: I've already bought the following titles, along with this show, from Amazon UK: Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends, Spider-Man 1995 series, Spider-Man Unlimited, Spider-Man 60s; The Incredible Hulk (60s, 80s, and 90s); Fantastic Four (70s and 90s); Thor (60s and 90s); Captain America 60s; Sub-Mariner 60s; Spider-Woman 1979 series;X-Men 1990s series; and the Avengers 1999 series. I even found the obscure 80s X-Men pilot "Pryde Of The X-Men" online and have that too. So, my collection is pretty much complete.

Some of the above titles are available here in the US, but with Disney holding the copyrights to these titles hostage (along with Gargoyles), it's anybody's guess whe they'll all be available domestically for purchase by the rest of us die-hard fans. Just check Amazon (US and UK) for what you're looking for.

So, fear not, true believers -- there is hope after all. Enjoy.