Do you think Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends would sell pretty well on DVD?

Antiyonder

[1]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 39

I'd say yes simply on the fact that Spider-Man is right up there with Mickey Mouse, Superman and Bugs Bunny in name recognition. As for why I'm asking this.

The reason why Disney never gave the show a box set much less an individual release is on the grounds that it probably wouldn't sell well (Their hesitation to release Marvel based DVDs is part of the reason I believe why Marvel has been trying to get the rights back from Disney). First two reasons why I believe Disney was wrong in their decision:

1.Again it's a Spider-Man product.

2. 80s cartoons have been proven to be a success in sales.

And of course Disney would generally release Marvel related DVDs to coincide with the movies (Spider-Man VS Daredevil for Daredevil). That said 2003 would have been the best opportunity for the set for the following reasons:

1. The set would have the advantage of tieing into two Marvel movie franchises:

a. The Spider-Man movie from 2002 and the upcoming movie for 2004.

b. X-Men 2, due to Iceman being part of the main cast and the 4 appearances made by the X-Men (2 cameos, 2 full appearances). Plus Magneto's full appearance and the cameo of The Brotherhood.

2. Since there were also the Daredevil and Hulk movies coming out, they could have advertised the appearances made by those characters (albeit Matt Murdock made the appearance with a cameo of Daredevil). And of course there's the Kingpin's appearance to factor in.

Edited on 06/28/2007 12:15am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sporkman5353

[2]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 18
    Of course it would!

suplex2000

[3]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 11

Antiyonder wrote:
    2. 80s cartoons have been proven to be a success in sales.

I have to be honest with you about that. The "Amazing Friends" Spider-Man cartoon was the ONLY Spider-Man cartoon I ever really liked. You know how you can get the full 1960's Spidey on DVD?

Well it's beyond me that they aren't continuing with that and releasing "Amazing Friends" too. I even think there was a newer Spider-Man cartoon that aired on MTV that has a DVD Release, just no "Amazing Friends" yet.

I recorded the whole series (except those four episodes that I posted about not airing in repeats) on DVD and I am thrilled to at least have that. However I do now have the Toon Disney Channel (where I didn't before) so maybe they will run them again sometime, or even on Boomerang would be great.

If they ever do release an official DVD Set, I will be sure to pick one up. Until then, we may have to settle for this...

http://www.imissmytvshow.com/id163.html

Edited on 06/28/2007 3:45pm
    Edited 2 total times.

PPG-Katelyn

[4]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 16
    I hope it comes out on DVD boxsets some day!

leofiregod

[5]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 7

it would definitely sell. I'd buy a copy as soon as it came out.

GavinGibbons

[6]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 29
    i would queue outside any sop that was selling an official boxset. it was (and always will be) one of my favourite cartoons.

EVENINGWOLF666

[7]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 7

This would ABSOLUTELY sell if they released it on DVD. I've been looking for it for several years and I know a number of other people that also have been. I am frankly surprised that it hasn't been, especially since several more obscure shows from that same time period have been, and seem to have done fairly well. Someone REALLY needs to get on to these people to release it. I'll be the first on in line.