Old vs. New

lee1496

[1]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    My question to you guys is which is better the new Spiderman they have out now or the old Spiderman they made back in the 90s?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[2]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 21
    Lol 90s Spiderman old? What does that make the Spiderman and Friends or Spiderman 80s versions, Older?

But for the record, I liked the 90s one despite the fact it was hampered by too much political correctness [can't say kill, no mention of sucking blood, laser guns over 9mm/bullets, etc].

jwgrlrrajn

[3]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 23
    I so far prefer the new one, if for no other reason than the fact that the new Spidey isn't as irritating to listen to. (and he's not narrating every other second of the show)

SpaceWay2007

[4]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    The new one is much better.

Codeguru

[5]May 11, 2008
    • level: 6

So far I'd rather be watching both at the same time. The new one is extremely fun to watch but they still don't have sagas. They are conforming to the current trend of Kids WB to put out two-parter episodes instead of constantly making sagas. As far as animation goes both look great to me, I'm just glad Spectacular Spiderman isn't some 3D bullcrap. As far as I'm concerned the 90's version of Spiderman and X-men are about the greatest shows I've seen, I'll have to wait and see about the new one but to judge right now I'd say the new one is definately as good...

Codeguru

PS- Also, in response, the narration of the show by spiderman was one of the main reasons it was the best. He wasn't just web swinging around beating the hell out of badguys, there was actually a reason behind it that you got to hear.

Edited on 05/11/2008 12:21am

silverfoxy8472

[6]May 18, 2008
    • level: 14

ok you all are not going to like me one bit but here it goes all the versions of spiderman including the amazing friends have a certain appeal BUT as far as i know i could be wrong so please correct me if i am none of them really had that much direct input from the creators and i mean both of them and i mean directly in the spectacular spider man it seems stan lee and steve ditko marvel gods have direct input so i think the newest one is superior to any gen before it sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings on this. plus i noticed that the style seems to have followed the lead of a recent dc inspired show called the batman in one respect they villains and heroes both were techno geeked out in terms of looks i can explain in another post if ppl wish to understand my meaning behind it and the supporting characters were hipped up a bit hell even aunt may seems hipper and definately not your father's aunt may heh so in final yes the newest one is 10/10 the others and remember based on content not feelings maybe a 6/10 at best

sincerely,

silverfoxy

mk335

[7]May 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    I like the new one but I think that the one in the 90's blows the new one out of the water. I think that everything was much better and the storylines are better. One of the biggest problems in the new one is the fact that if you blink then you miss it because all it is the little grey lines with no sound what so ever and the other problem is that everyone is a little to young but I can get passed that but I still think that the 90's is the one for me hands down.

silverfoxy8472

[8]May 19, 2008

ok mk335 don't take this the wrong way i view things through the eyes of a purist i know all about spidey's adventures and looking at the 90's series through those eyes and i have no other's to look through it failed on alot of fronts like those before it but still maintained enough of the spirit of spidey to make it enjoyable unlike what i considered the ultimate spiderman cartoon unless there were parts of spidey in the future i didn't know about but then again if they were anything like the cartoon i wouldn't have cared for it all that much anyway. Now the new one is stan lee's and steve ditko's will they made spidey originally and since it is theirs no matter what others have done in the long run it is still theirs because i am sure they have to negotiate for the rights to do the series which i find funny though i could again be wrong when the gods of spider man will a change then it is so and if they ever wish to do a new comic like the show omg i would collect it but as to the shades of grey in the 90's one um uh no i read between all the lines believe me half the time i found it like um why did they do it this way rather than going to original way for the story lines that were brought in the story lines were rushed like the appearance of venom i am sure it took more than three issues but it is 30 minutes 22 if you take out comercials the 90's spiderman failed on many fronts but still is enjoyable which is why at 7am every morning i am up and watching it that an i tend to get up around that time anyway well maybe slightly earlier but still it is enjoyable but once more the 90's spiderman gets a 6/10 at best and now having thought about it the new one gets a 20/10 that is how good it is in my eys but you are entitled to your opinion that is the purpose of the board eh?

sincerely,

silverfoxy

CrochetOwl

[9]May 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    Just caught the newest Spidey this weekend. The stories are fine but the animation itself is not on par with the 90s version which is still my favorite. The biggest problem is the de-aging of the characters (they've done it with the X-Men, Batman, the Justice League and now Marvel is introducing the next-generation Ultimate Avengers). The prior versions were more mature and I think brought a wider audience than the current version. I will keep watching the new Spidey but it is unlikely to ever to take the place of the 90s one.

silverfoxy8472

[10]Jun 20, 2008

wow CrochetOwl you are right to a certain extent they have done this to alot of cartoons within the last few years but surprise surprise i liked Xmen evolution big time however the batman another example of the same thing is the worst ever and it isn't because it is back in time attempting a prequel to batman the animated series it was because the tech was out of synch much more advanced than batman the animated series on the other hand xmen evolution did nicely with keeping in tune with the spirit of the xmen and the techy was in synch with the time plus nice to see scott and company as a younger bunch a different view of the xmen now to the newest spiderman oh man where to begin oh yes about time to see a new vision by the CREATORS of the character aunt may is hiper mary jane is a cool future model and current goth sooooo cool gwen stacy yes you heard me gwen stacy one of the biggest events in spidey's history is in the show why didn't they do that in the 90's one hmmm ? simpl avi arad stinks at picking what is to be included in the series and the interpretations are much better plus i will restate it this show is the will of the creators stan lee and steve ditko are you telling me you challenge their right to revamp the creation they made together? and the animation is super wonderful i love it alot all the emotion the drama ect that is spiderman is there and the most recent exmaple is the venom episode unlike the movie eddie brock is seriously pumped up which is how venom is supposed to be not the dark flip side of peter parker sheesh with all this said the 90's one still gets at best a 6/10 while the new one the spectacular spiderman gets a 10/10

sincerely,

silverfoxy

SpaceWay2007

[11]Jun 20, 2008
    CrochetOwl wrote:
    Just caught the newest Spidey this weekend. The stories are fine but the animation itself is not on par with the 90s version which is still my favorite. The biggest problem is the de-aging of the characters (they've done it with the X-Men, Batman, the Justice League and now Marvel is introducing the next-generation Ultimate Avengers). The prior versions were more mature and I think brought a wider audience than the current version. I will keep watching the new Spidey but it is unlikely to ever to take the place of the 90s one.
    Actually, the animation is fine. It's very fast, fluid, and smooth. Spider-Man: TAS is still one of my favorite Spider-Man shows, but when it comes to animations, Spider-Man TAS cannot compare to the new one. I think what you meant to say is the character designs. I agree that the character designs are simple, but in my opinion, the creators made the right choice. With the simplistic designs, you have fluid, smooth, fast, and very good animation.

GoHaN_Buu

[12]Jun 23, 2008
    old one is better becuase spiderman looks like a kid in a holloween costume and venom is like a sybiote with a gorilla

SpaceWay2007

[13]Jun 24, 2008
    GoHaN_Buu wrote:
    old one is better becuase spiderman looks like a kid in a holloween costume and venom is like a sybiote with a gorilla
    So you like the old one better because of the character designs? How about comparing the voice acting, the plot, the animation, etc?

JCTStrife

[14]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    I'm more of a fan of the 90s comic TV series (STAS, Xmen, DCAU, etc), than these newer ones (the Batman, young justice league, etc..) but I have to admit the new Spiderman series does stack up against the 90s but its too early to tell the 90s spiderman has 5 seasons of relatively high quality, this one has 1 season, I'm not saying the new one sucks or anything, but I can't compare the 2 untill this one gets into season 2-3 area. The new one is good, animation is of course better than the 90s, better character development goes to TSSM, story arcs in general go to 90s but that is up for debate in a year or two, voice acting I think goes to 90s as well, both are very different, but the 90s series to me feels more mature than TSSM currently, but like I said in a season or two that can change.

MajLorne

[15]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 21
    CrochetOwl wrote:
    I totally agree, I caught a few episodes of the new show and I do like the storylines and action scenes, but I just don't like how young everyone is and still prefer the 90's animation more. The only thing about the 90's one is that they did recycle some scenes too many times and seemed kinda tied down by political correctness [can't say kill or sinister, etc...]

pepsi_twist2008

[16]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    It kills me say this but Spectacular Spider-man is the better show (so far) I was really expecting to hate Spectacular and I didn't. But I put the 90's series right under it. The designs of the 90's are certainly better but the animation/movement is vastly superior. Compare this shows Spidey web swinging to Spectacular's Spidey web swinging. He looks like he's barely moving. Both shows are still the best interprations of Spidey even more than the overrated live action movies

silverfoxy8472

[17]Sep 16, 2008

ok have been away a while so now to respond some things i see on this board that have been posted since my last comment

1)Spaceway2007 thank you i agree with you to a certain extent the creators the true creators who are involved in the series have every right to make the choices they want in animation and do what they wish with the characters the characters are their character not like a third party doing this it is straight from the source of the characters so i think all their choices wether others are giving opinions as to wether or not their decisions are correct i think their choices are correct because they are their choices.

2) ok Gohan_Buu spiderman aka peter parker is a kid he is in college and venom is a dude that is seriously pumped up before the symboite after the symboite he is even more pumped up so venom is DEAD ON.

3) ok JCTStrife yes i have a special place in my heart for the 90's version but it failed on the most important front for a comic series and that is accuracy about well JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING plot lines got compressed important events got left out because it was for kids things were changed because it was for kids the whole space time continum of spidermen was all out of place sheesh but i still have a special place in my heart for it.

4) Well pepsi_twist2008 i wish i could disagree but you are right all three now well the first one was ok the second one was decent but #3 oh sheesh venom was soooo offf the actor was not the right one and though to a certain extent they played that character correctly the movie was tooo crowded with villains two is one too many.

sincerely,

silverfoxy

fred_thd

[18]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 5

I'm gonna definitely have to go for the 90's version, which is, along the the x-men 90's series, my two favourite, and i think the best marvel shows there are. I'm probably going to get whinged at by silverfox now tho, (no offense, but you seem to be taking this post WAY too seriously). I appreciate the fact that both writers had influence, rather than just stan lee\s, this time; but every revamp, or just about, done in this century on marvel cartoon/comics have been teenage-afied or whatever , and its annoying. and although the drawing is more fluid these days, the shapes of the bodies are just weird, i mean the movements are fluid, but their body shapes just don't fit. spec spiderman just doesn't look like he could throw a punch if he wanted to, and although thats prob not a huge factor, its just strange, imo anyways. and another thing about the spec spiderman i don't like, is what people said earlier about no saga', the best they have is i think two episode linkages? and to me, that's what made the 90's cartoons, like x-men and spiderman, great.

in all respect tho, spec spiderman is def one of the better, if not best, revamp of this century (don't even get me started on that crap x-men evolution! ), and is a fair show, and the inclusion of gwen stacey is pretty cool, but as said earlier, to me, u can't top the 90's cartoons, including spiderman.

thats my 2 cents anyways

pepsi_twist2008

[19]Oct 8, 2008
    There are actually about 3-4 episodes arcs in Spectacular. And they still have great continuity throughout the whole season. Better than The Batman and Teen Titans anyways. Spectacular Spider-man is at least the best super hero cartoon since Justice League Unlimited ended.

tenacon

[20]Nov 30, 2008
    I like 90's better. Better vioces, good plots, more conectiveness to others. spidey feels like a god among gods in it.