Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Sins of the Fathers (14): Turning Point (2)

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Nov 23, 1996 on FOX

• Lost Victory.

The greatest crime a supervillan commits is not robbing a bank or even trying to take over a city but attacking the ones you love.

This episode is loosely based on a famous tragic comic book arc in the series. It's a bit different here obviously, but still I felt it did a good job at tugging at our emotions, this episode really takes an unfun turn and just like that arc it shows sometimes Superheroes can have empty victories.

I really did love the drama before the incident which I though was sweet seeing both Peter and Mary Jane becoming a couple again, from their interaction you know those two belong together.

Down to the final conflict where Norman/Green Goblin is at his scummy worst, I was litterally begining to hate the villian because he crossed the line. It's a tense situation where we see Mary Jane's life is held hostage, Spiderman tries to negotiate but it does no good. Green Goblin simply just drops her down into a vortex that leads nowhere. At that point Spiderman beats the crap out of Goblin till he falls into the same portal.

In the end I just felt empty even though Peter won the conflict he was unable to save Mary Jane whom is now lost in the portal. In a way that left a cliffhanger where we wonder if Peter will be able to find a way to get her out of there but I wasn't sure.

I don't feel this episode has the same impact as that arc due to the fact I presented but all the same I felt sad in the end, Spiderman has gained a lost victory.