Spider-Man: The Animated Series

The Return Of Hydro-Man (2)

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Oct 31, 1997 on FOX

• The Most Controversial Episode!

This is it. The most controversial episode of Spider-Man: TAS. Personally I enjoyed this episode. Part of Spider-Man's character is he can never be truly happy. They couldn't kill anyone in a "kids show" so they killed off a clone. Not a bad compromise. Christopher Daniel Barnes is at his finest here. He does an incredible job conveying the emotion of the scene.

I also understand why many others are critical of it and/or think it ruined the series. You do feel kind of betrayed, learning that MJ is just a clone. It makes you view the previous episodes in a different light. However, even though she is just a clone, I believe she still acted and behaved the way the real MJ would (since she had all her memories and emotions).
  • Kind of worng for a kids show

After rewatching this entire series about 12 years later then when I originally saw it, this episode is very raw for the target audience. Dont get me wrong this episode is amazing and shows the true emotion of Peter Parker at the end but wow how tragic. You could literally feel the pain of the voice actor / peter parker when MJ bit the dust. This episode had a lot of allusions in it to the future of the series and the inevitable series finale. Its a shame this show had to end but I hope the new series on now can build upon this and make it just as good.
  • Tragic story

This is a great episode...I remember watching this when I was 12 years old or so, and this one seemed very intense. They really ended the Mary Jane clone character in a tragic way (much better than the story on Lois & Clark by the way). What really sold this episode was the Peter Parker voice acting at the end...you could hear so much pain in his voice, and then Madame Web comes and whisks him away. It seems like the worst possible time for her to come, but it was probably best because he can keep busy instead of sulking over Mary Jane. And of course, this is the beginning of the setup for the amazing series finale.