Spider Riders Forums

TELETOON (ended 2007)

Q/A thread.

HunterSteele

[21]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 2
    Spider Riders fans: Thanks all for the info.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Soaker87

[22]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 6

I was looking through some back posts in this thread, and regarding Quake's secret, I always had the theory that perhaps he was dead. Since he was around the same age as the Lost Mariner, who's more than likely a ghost, I bet Quake might be a ghost as well. I'm also half starting to beleive my brother's nonsense theory that Quake is actually evil and wants to destroy all life. Kidding. That can't be true.

Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten used to using "Quake" as his name. He'll always be Brade to me. Any reasonikng behind some of the name changes? I understand Lemin to Kati, because that was to create a pun, but I don't get the rest. What really baffles me is using Invectids instead of Insectors, because weren't they Insectors in the books?

4numbah3

[23]Feb 28, 2007
    no. problem...

HunterSteele

[24]Feb 28, 2007
    Soaker: Yeah, you're close to one of Quake's secrets, but he has an even bigger one. Brade sounded too much like a hair style in the English speaking version, so we went with Quake. I try to use underground names like Magma, Igneous, etc. I considered changing Brade to Blade, but it didn't fit the specs. Maybe you can answer a question for me: Does Aqune by any chance mean something like "water" in Japanese? I never got the chance to ask our translator back when we started the show and the Japanese asked us to add the Aqune character. Regarding "Invectids" vs. "Insectors"...I preferred Insectors, too, but there was a legal issue of some sort. I suspect there might have been an established toy line that was too close or the same as Insectors so the studios needed an alternate for the TV series. It was quite a contest around here as the staff came up with dozens of new names for the bug people. Invectids won.

Soaker87

[25]Feb 28, 2007

Now I'm very curious about Quake. Initially, I actually thought his name was Blade, based on the pronunciation. It wasn't until I actually read somewhere that it was spelled with an "r" that I figured it out. If you did name him Blade, it wouldn't have made a difference. Nothing wrong with Quake though, except for the fact that I initially had no idea who they were talking about in episode 30.

I don't think Aqune means anything, actually. I always assumed it was French or something, since I know Spider Riders airs in French too. I don't think I've ever seen a "q" in a Japanese word. Aqune is usually written in a way which romanizes to Akuune. In that case, I'm still not sure if it means anything. I can't find a literal translation for "Aku" but I know it's often used on the start of words to imply evil. (ie: akuma- demon) Actually, I think it can be translated to evil by itself. But then, Aqune isn't really evil, so I don't know about that. I just sometimes think that's what it means jokingly. So I'll stick with my theory that maybe it's French. I put way too much thought into these things.

4numbah3

[26]Mar 1, 2007

hi, i thought hero quake was a hero...? not evil...

4numbah3

[27]Mar 1, 2007

hi gang... i cant think of any other q's 2 ask ... but i do think the last show was fabulous...

actually hunter, what's the name of this sunday's eppy?

Soaker87

[28]Mar 1, 2007
    4numbah3 wrote:

hi, i thought hero quake was a hero...? not evil...

I think he meant that my first theory was close. At least I hope so. If Quake was evil though, admittedly I'd die laughing.

Edited on 03/01/2007 5:26pm

4numbah3

[29]Mar 2, 2007

hey soaker,

u think we get 2 c hunter eat corona nasty cooking? she said it's something new, i wondering if it's something she can actually cook, that is tasteful... lol...

Soaker87

[30]Mar 2, 2007
    4numbah3 wrote:

hey soaker,

u think we get 2 c hunter eat corona nasty cooking? she said it's something new, i wondering if it's something she can actually cook, that is tasteful... lol...

Probably not. I think Hunter would die, and then the show would have to end.

sportsy-girl

[31]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 4
    lol phew i just finished reading the posts here im very dedicated to sr as well i just havent had time to post lately but i really wanna be here ill try and reply to random posts. i like invecteds better probably cuz im used to this and im goin wit haqune being somethin close to water my mom thought so too and as for the game i beat all the levels i wished they'd make more also lol u guys give so much thought into names like quake and aqune also ive never actually read the books but im taken it theyre different than the shows im excited for sunday

4numbah3

[32]Mar 3, 2007

hi sporty,

i have read the books... they r pretty different from the show... but i notice some chapters in the books has the same title as the show... im decated 2 the spider riders show/books also... more 2 the show because i hate reading books...

sportsy-girl

[33]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 4
    sr is my fave show it's sooooooo awesome!

Soaker87

[34]Mar 4, 2007

Got another question.

Were there any significant changes between the original and dub scripts for episodes 27 onward? Obviously, I wouldn't know because they haven't aired in Japan yet, but I'm just a bit curious.

HunterSteele

[35]Mar 4, 2007
    Soaker: Just a few that I can think of. In the Japan version, Mantid keeps the body of his dead sweetheart in a room of his palace, hoping to use the Oracle's power to bring her back to life. It was just a bit sick for the North American broadcasters, so we had to cut her out until... well, you'll see when you get to ep. 52. Also, for example ep 33, you'll notice in the Japan cut that Grasshop raises a sword and is about to kill Sparkle. Broadcasters felt that and a few other sequences in other eps were too violent, so we cut around them. These edits really had no effect on the stories and character arcs. Other than that, the English versions are pretty faithful to the originals.

Soaker87

[36]Mar 4, 2007
    Very interesting. I had been curious about just who that girl was supposed to be. I found her to be creepy, but I liked the fact that it makes Mantid look really, really psycho to have a body lying around.

4numbah3

[37]Mar 6, 2007

from what i read in the posts... that creepy and weird... im glad they changed it...

4numbah3

[38]Mar 9, 2007

hi hunter,

i read that Manid is secertly human... is that true?

HunterSteele

[39]Mar 9, 2007
    No comment. Don't want to spoil eppy 52 for you.

Soaker87

[40]Mar 10, 2007

This is a really dumb question, but if Corona and Aqune are sisters, why does their hair-color differ so much? My only guess is that one of their parents had yellow hair and the other had purple.

Also, is there anyone back in the outer world worried about Hunter? He has been gone for quite some time.