Spin City Forums

ABC (ended 2002)

spin city cancelled?

mvscali89

[1]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 29

why was spin city cancelled?

also, does anyone know what episode michelle was in?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seanlyger

[2]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 7

The show was cancelled because a lot of viewers (and half the cast) left with Michael J Fox.

Mike was so important to the show that it never had a chance without him.

As for Michelle, could you be a little more specific? I'm not sure who that is.

mvscali89

[3]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 29

oh, sry, i found out which eps michelle was in today and was able to watch it!

I meant michelle, who was going to have a baby with carter (i think it was carter- i'm a new fan of the show, but i think carter wanted to adopt a child and rather than wait, asked his friend michelle who was dating stuart.

so, i found the ep. and maybe i will be able to catch some other eps - this show is great!

seanlyger

[4]Apr 18, 2007
    It's one of the best ever. It's too bad that they never put it's season's on DVD.

Hulkamaniac14

[5]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 17
    The show lasted for 2 more years after Micheal J. Fox Left.

PiperPrueLover4

[6]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 18
    Yeah but 2 means nothing. It means that in the first year the ratings started to decline, but not enough for a cancelling and in the second year it declined more, resulting in the ax. If it had lasted 3 more seasons...

CMSquirre1

[7]May 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    Spin City was put on DVD but it was as "Michael J Fox's favorite episodes"  Each disc had 6-10 episodes and they included episodes with Charlie Sheen.  I didn't like it after MJF left but I did watch occasionally because of the stories between Stuart and Carter.  If they would release all the episodes similar to how other shows have well than to bad the last 2 years don't sell as well, atleast I could have it on disc with no commercials.

jxsilicon9

[8]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    Well pretty much everyone left the show and the show was moved to Los Angeles. The ratings were consistent but lowering by the 5th season. By the 6th season the ratings dropped fast.

I think people still stuck around to check out the 5th season. But after they saw where the show was going they bailed.Paul and Carter were still interesting. But without a lot of the cast especially MJF the show just got worse.

mrjimmyjames

[9]Mar 9, 2011

Spin City was cancelled due to ABC's infamous abuse of the show "Who wants to be a Millionaire", which at first got huge ratings but after a year it still got very high ratings but only very old demographics were watching it (which was so bad for advertisers, because this age group does not buy much at all). Now, what does this have to do with Spin City? Well, ABC put "Who wants to be a Millionaire" on at 7PM on both of the networks prized comedy lineups (Tuesdays and Wednesdays). As a result nobody from the demo that was watching "millionaire" was interested in watching Spin City, Dharma & Greg, or Drew Carey. By the time ABC tried to fix this ratings instantly tanked and they were forced to cancel Spin and Dharma. Drew Carey Show switched nights in an attempt to reignite ratings but couldn't (ABC made an idiotic contract extension with that show forced them to burn off two more seasons in the summer). This is why Millionaire was cancelled by ABC and ended up fleeing to syndication where it is today. These sitcom lineups were the most popular things on the network and after unintentionally destroying them with a game show, ABC was practically dead as a network until "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" premiered. With the premiere of Modern Family, The Middle, and Cougartown, this is the first time in almost a decade that ABC had a successful comedy lineup.

Now, don't get me wrong if you want to say that Spin City decline a bit after Michael J. Fox, I would agree. It would have to; he's just too good. However that did not cause the show to be cancelled. Charlie Sheen and Heather Locklear were pretty good. But it was never going to be quite as good as it was without Fox because well, it's Michael J. Fox. And it was widely considered to be a successful transition from Fox to Sheen. Sheen even won a Golden Globe for his role. My biggest problem with the last two seasons is that James, Nikki, and Janelle left. The cast was too small.