Spin City

ABC (ended 2002)

witchinsider

Spin City Fan Reviews (27)

• One of the best comedies ever. Spin City has a great cast and funny storylines that keep you laughing every episode. There is never a dull moment in City Hall.

This situation comedy originally starring Michael J. Fox is very catchy, and will leave you wanting more and more everytime you watch it. From seasons 1-4, Michael stars as the deputy mayor of New York, Mike Flaherty. He must help the mayor get though all the events that go along with being mayor, as well as juggle his many romances. Mike is joined by the Mayor, as well as the rest of the City Hall staff, to make for some hillarious events. The cast is what makes this comedy stand apart from all the rest. Each character has their own story and different personality. Stuart is a sex-crazed womanizer, Paul is a very clumsy and usually clueless press secretary, Carter is a black gay man who stands up for what he believes in, Nikki is the office accountant who just cannot seem to find that true romance. These are just a few of the great characters that make up this show.

After season 4 Michael J. Fox had to leave because of his parkinson's disease, which ended up changing others in the cast as well. Nikki, James and Janelle all left without an explanation, but this didn't stop the show from being great. The new deputy mayor of Ney York was Charlie Crawford, played by Charlie Sheen. A lot of people say the show went downhill from here, but I still thought it was wonderful. Charlie brought a differnt personality into the office, and it worked great with fellow employee Caitlin Moore (Heather Locklear). The show remained very funny with great storylines and certainly wasn't a disappointment to me.

Spin City spanned over 6 great seasons without a single dull moment. Watching one episode of this show just isn't giving it a fair chance. Let the characters grow and you and you'll find that you'll feel like you're part of the City Hall staff. Once you get to this point you might understand why I think the show is so great. I can watch the epiodes over many times and still laugh because they are just that funny. This show has it all, which is why I say it's the best comedy ever, period!
  • One of those really enjoyable shows that really didn't get it's place in history.

One of those shows that I really enjoyed watching right up until the end. I just didn't like the fact that it ran for six years and never had an official send off. That did bother me. But on the bright side, if it wasn't cancelled "Two and a half men" might have never made it to air.
  • i think this is a great tv serier and i realy like it...

i think this is a great tv serier and i realy like it...

its easyer for me to writh i danish so i do that...

jeg synes dette er en kanon fed tv-serie og er helt vild med den og ville enlig gerne have alle avsnit af den...
    så der for er jeg på jagt efter den på denne side...
  • It wasn't suppose to end. It was suppose to have another season what happened?!

A day in the life of new york mayor, literally. The clever character personalities and situations. The loser guy who wife left him. The sex freak. The gay guy. The one girl in the office. And Charlie Sheen, how can this not be a good combination? It was hiliarious when it last.
  • One of my favorite shows. This show was so hilarious, and I think it was very underrated.

This is definitely my second favorite show. The writing was so good, and the whole cast was perfect. Everyone had great chemistry, and the characters were definitely classic. I wish they didn't cancel it though. Even though I've only seen a few episodes with Charlie Sheen, they're still as good as the old episodes with MJF. I think this show was definitely underrated, and deserves much more credit than it's given.
  • This is one of the most under-appreciated shows in TV History!

Spin City is my favourite show. Its been off the air almost 4 years but still makes me laugh out loud whenever I watch it and I am always trying to get people to sit down and watch it!

The Show was different from most other Sitcoms for its large cast, an average of nine regular characters populated the first four seasons and although the show always centred on Michael J Fox's Character, the amazing supporting cast would regularly steal the show.

Michael J. Fox left at the end of the Fourth Season to give himself time to battle Parkinsons Disease, he was replaced by Charlie Sheen who was entertaining, but couldnt fill the collossal void left by Fox. The Fifth Season also saw the departure of several cast members bringing the show down to a sitcom-standard 6 cast members for its final years.

Spin City was at its best at a time when there were many great Sitcoms around and was sadly overlooked by many but it deserves all the credit in the world for being a hilarious, original show which did more for a office sitcom than Just Shoot Me or Less than Perfect could ever dream of.
  • I'm always trying to get people to sit down and watch it, because no one I know has even heard of it, let alone seen it...

ok, I *love* this sitcom. It's so funny. The first four seasons were just pure gold and although Charlie Sheen does an admirable job, he'll never be able to replace Michael J. Fox.

This sitcom was smart, witty and hilarious, with an absolutely incredible ensemble cast - one of the best. I have the two DVDs and both are compiled of classic episodes - of which there are so many.

Spin City has to be one of my all-time-favourite sitcoms - its characters are brilliant, particularly the highly intelligent Carter and the woman-crazy Stuart, whom is definitely my favourite after arrogant and witty Mike. I just cannot give this show enough credit - it remains, to this day, one of the more underappreciated shows around.
  • great show

i love watching spin city i only watched seasons 5-6 the show was very funny the show also had this great cast to keep it up beat and nice i dind't like the was that abc ended the show spin city did not even get a final espsode they should of gone ahead an greenlighted a seventh season so they could of ended the show right
  • One of the best shows i've seen.

Spin CIty is a hilarious comdey show. I laugh so hard, i turn fifteen shades on purple from one good joke on the show. I love who the recurring gay joke happens. It's a very funny comdey show. If you don't watch it, wake up & smell the coffee. You're missing a funny show.
  • C'mon, why so few people know about this great show? I wish they would release it on DVD.

I'm still trying to watch every episode of this incredible show on TV. This is one of those shows that is not well known, but should be. I wonder why most people never heard about Spin City.
    This show never had a single bad episode. It's hilarious and most jokes are actually smart. There is a veriety of well developed characters that creates a great mix. It's hard for me to even pick a favorite one because they are all great. If you are a fan of sitcoms, you simply must check this one out. You won't be disappointed.

They should finally realease the show on DVD. I would give up all other sitcoms just to have the set of Spin City and watch it over and over again.
  • awesome show

spin city was a great show very funny. i would laugh my ass off of the show. but when mick, and some of the other cast members left it wasnt funny anymore!!!! i lost interset in the show!!! they should bring the show back but wit mick and the original casts memebers!!!!
  • I used to enjoy this.

6.2
    Michael J Fox is an engaging personality and `Spin City' was just the show for him. His early co-stars were a wonderful ensemble, providing warmth, humour & sarcasm in equal doses. Heather Locklear's arrival followed later by Fox's departure was the death knell for me. James, Janelle & Nikki disappeared without mention and `Spin City' morphed into `The Charlie & Heather show'.
  • A great show.

The show was definetly better with Michael J.Fox though I still enjoyed it with Charlie Sheen.

The Depute-Mayors who actually take care of all the mayors buisness are very smart, though the situations they end up in dont reflect it.

A very strange staff that work for the mayor, yet he stays in office for all of the seasons.

8/10

Everyone should watch this.
    Or atleast some of season 1-3
  • Spin City is a show based in, New York and Starred Micheal J. Fox

This was a really good, show, it has an all-star cast, Richard Kind as Paul, Berr Boswick, as the Mayor, and Micheal J. Fox as Mike, The whole cast made up some really funny and classic moments, Stuwart and Carter, where always a laugh, as where James and Paul, this show had everything comedy, action, and a little romance, between Mike and Nikki, and later Mike and Catilin, and the Mayor and Janielle, When Heather Locklear was bought in the show was still good. After Mike left the show I really didn't watch it so I really can't say how Charlie Sheen was, since I stopped watching it after Mike left.

• A great show, one of the best sitcoms of all time.

This is one of the best shows of all time. Very rarely would the story lag, but the comedy was very quick-witted and always funny, no matter who you are. But even better than the comedy writing was the incredible acting talent on the show. Almost every actor and actress that ever apearred on the show, whether it be for one episode, 100, or all of them, was very talented and very capable of stealing the show. Michael J. Fox carried the show for the first four seasons, which is a big reason the show went downhill in the last two seasons, but as far as the first 100 episodes go, this is a must watch. Spin City is probably one of the most underappreciated shows of all time, as this is a very good show.
  • Bets ensemble show ever!!

Anything Andy Cadiff does is something I'm going to be watching. And Spin City is one of his all time best series to direct. Everybody gets a scene, the characters diverse and compelling.

It also has a stereotype-smashing homosexual as a lead character, wonderfully acted as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

But the freshness, uniqueness, and oddly enough a sincere feeling in the stories... this stuff is great.

The show never survived Michael J Fox's loss... and his own swansong was beautifully done. The atmosphere of the piece has a downbeat, somber mood. It works fantastically well, on multiple levels. TV rarely writes off characters - usually killed offscreen. But in Spin City's case, it's not a case of killing off Michael's character. It's discrediting. And that's far, far worse. Definitely sad. :(

• A great idea!

Yep, I've just started watching another old show and I must say, this is great! Michael J. Fox was at his prime and stole the show even from the mayor. So far, I've seen over ten episodes on FX and it's a pretty funny show about working in City Hall or about anyone else associated with that type of work. The idea of making it into a comedy alone in which everyone can understand, whether they know practically nothing or a lot about politics, is genius!
    Fox was really good and I wonder myself how Charlie Sheen could've ever filled his shoes.
    Top-notch writing, pretty quick-witted, and a pretty good cast make this a great idea done quite well.
  • I woes see that before

The true I love this show I woes watch at every time I just like that this woes the best show ever every one woes funny there bat I sad to say that when Charlie Sheen Enjoy the them in J.Fox Place this not wily woesw fun like before J.Fox woes moor funny then sheen Dont make me wrong I like Sheen Just I dont thing that He can make funny moor then J.fox This Just my REVIEW
  • When Mike Flaherty is still in Spin City, it\'s still my favorite. but until charlie Sheen comes, I didn\'t watch. because I am MJF fans so I watch spin city. I believe that many fans are watching it for MJF not Charlie Sheen who has worse image than Fox

4.6
    Good and funny. people should really enjoy this show. as long as MJF exists yes ... but charlie sheen\'s appearence, people should shut the TV off. not to hate Sheen, but he is not good man, not good guy. degrade spin city. sorry if offend sheen fans, but yes I believe, many people, like me, watch spin city to support and love Michael J Fox. no matter how Sheen fan speak. Fox is far better than Sheen. Sheen is no match to Fox
  • Spin City has held up over time.

You know how you look back on shows you used to watch back in the 90s, and remember how much you loved them?

Then the show comes out on DVD and you buy it, excited to be able to watch your old favorite again!

..except it isn't as good as you remembered. Case in point: 3rd Rock. I used to watch it all the time when I was about 10 to 15, but when I bought the DVD sets I was dissapointed.

Spin City however was a show that I never really cared for when it was initially on, but now that I've seen a bunch of reruns on FX I'm surprised that the show wasn't a bigger hit. Each episode was hilarious, all the characters were likeable, and it was just so different. 3rd Rock was like that too but it really was just a lot of puns and the novelty of them being aliens didn't stay funny after all these years. There was no novelty in Spin City - just good characters, good stories and funny actors.

I'll be waiting for this to come to DVD in full seasons, or at least track down MJF's "favorites" that I saw a while ago at Wal-mart.
  • I really like Spin City because the cast is great and it really shows what could go on in City Hall. They take something serious and make it a comedy. The tension between co-workers is great and to see what happens with that tension.

This show is great because it has the executive producer from Scrubs. The two shows resemble each other in the way it can make you laugh even when something serious happens. It was great to see the two shows cross over when some of the Spin City stars guest starred on Scrubs. Those episodes were great. There is never a show in either series that is boring something exciting is always happening to keep you interested. Spin City's cast is flawless. I was only disappointed when Mike had to leave the show. I really never got used to Charlie but he had his moments too. Caitlin sort of took the place of Nikki but she did fine on her own. I wish this show had more appreciation.
  • Michael J. Fox's best project ever!

When Michael J. Fox was on Family Ties in the 1980's, yeah that was funny but Spin City is my favorite project he has ever done! It was smart, funny, shot in the best city in the world New York City, and the funniest cast before Scrubs. In fact all the cast were later on Scrubs as guest stars. These guys were New York "bread & butter" actors just like Michael. They all blended so well together and made the show a hit. He was very nice to keep the show on after he left in 2000 to take a break from show business due to his illness. I feel the show was never the same after that but Spin City is one of the funniest shows period and I hope to do a sitcom as funny and exciting as it was. It is just as much fun as the cast to have as much fun as the live audiance does. That's what made Spin City great! ROCK ON!
  • Always good for a laugh.

A year ago i was flipping trough channels, and all of a sudden i was watching spin city.

I started to look it reguarly, and after 2 weeks i was hooked.

I love Charlie and Mike, they are both great actors, and even though i love Mike more than Charlie, Charlie does a great job to.

The mayor is really funny, the make him look so dumb and unknowing. It is good to see he has this great crew behind him.

James, he is so unknowing and cute. He is the little brother of the team.

Stuart is so juvenile, and yet so fun.

Paul is the dumbass, but i think he h as more than that.

And finally Carter xD, he is portraited so gay it is not funny anymore. But i love how he plays it.

Then there are all these women, and they are strong and everything, but i have the feeling they are more eyecandy than really part of it.

The episodes are funny, they make you laugh, but if you stop watching during an episode you don't have this nagging feeling that you really need to see the ending.

All in all, this is a nice show that i love to watch.
  • One of the funniest sitcoms ever!!!

Spin City is one of those shows that doesn't seem to ever get old. The basic idea is awesome because it makes politics seem fun. It brings the office sitcome to a new level which makes it much better than NewsRadio, Just Shoot Me, and The Office or any other sitcom for that matter. Its characters are just drop dead hilarious and more appealing than that of the other three. Whether it be the crazy storylines, jokes, or the characters this show measures up to the best like Seinfeld, Fraiser, and Friends. Both Mike and Charlie do a great job as Deputy Mayor but of coarse Mkie comes out on top always. The rest of the cast is amazing in thier own way except Heather Locklear who is very anoying. The humor is still fresh today because it doesn't rely solely on slapstick comedy and sex jokes but rather impliments them respectively and instead uses more of the storylines and charecters to propel the humor. Overall one of if not the funniest sitcom.
  • One of the funniest shows i've seen

Spin City is a show where every episode is different and funny and entertaining. I prefer Mike to Charlie, and i've seen most of the ones with Mike and only a few with Charlie. The characters on the show are all funny and are all very well represented. I don't think Caitlin ruined the show. I think she did a good job making the transition between Mike and Charlie. The later years were like a whole other show with most of the original cast gone, but Spin City really knew how to carry on with the show.
    I think the show is underappreciated and i wish they played it in Canada.
  • A great show - just wasn't the same without Michael J Fox

I loved this show when it started up - even though it was a little too gag-based at times and the emphasis on Mike's relationships did occasionally steer into corny drama, the dialogue, the jokes, made up for it.

And the cast was a strong one - every member of the initial cast was perfect for their role. They weren't just believable, they executed every line and dialogue naturally and easily and with perfect timing and expression. There was never that awkward moment of something slightly off when you could sense, "Oh, they're acting." Even when the dialogue wasn't the strongest, they could deliver. You felt like you were watching a moment in their lives, not a set with actors reciting from memory and choreographed movements.

... But it changed. And the big reason - Heather Locklear. I know, this sounds cliche. But the problem with Locklear was twofold.

First, the writers seemed to feel obligated to insert her into the show, so her appearance, her role - it all seemed so forced. Like they'd been forced get her character established front and center at gunpoint. She was the sassy strong female stock character who everyone wants and no one can have - a terrible cliche. Obviously, she needs to becomes Mike's love interest. Nikki gets written out of the show to make room and I'm convinced that Stacy's unexplained disappearance between seasons is related to Locklear's introduction - there's only enough screentime and Locklear needs to be the big star and I imagine it was made obvious at some point to Jennifer Esposito that she wouldn't have much of a role anymore.

And we, as the audience - we're forced to love her. The writers don't organically introduce her as one of the cast and have her grow into the storylines (like they did when they intro'd Stacy). Instead, Locklear's character gets all the main plotlines from the get-go - she is the new focus of the show.

Which I think is why most fans didn't like her. Spin City was no longer Spin City. It was a completely different show. Because the Spin City in its prime was an ensemble cast - a group of different actors playing off of each other in stories that involve all of them. Mike was the center, but he wasn't out there on his own. And that's what made it so good - the dialogue. That natural, smooth-flowing dialogue and movement between characters that I pointed out before - nine different characters with very different roles and actors who fit those niches so well - that was the great part.

But when Heather Locklear was introduced, suddenly, the show wasn't about that anymore. The show wasn't an ensemble cast - it was "Michael J Fox and Heather Locklear, with assorted supporting actors and extras." And that is the reason why the other actors left. Why stay if you essentially are just background?

That's why fans hated Locklear's character so much - not necessarily because of her character, who, though annoying, could've become an interesting addition to the group (the cold ambitious selfish bitch - hey, Dierdre made it work) - but because they changed the show entirely to make her the star.

I dunno who made that decision, whether it was the producers, the writers, the network, but someone, somewhere, decided the show needed to focus on two central characters rather than an ensemble cast. And that person needs to be forced to sit in a chair and watch all those later season episodes of Spin City until they weep and repent, because they ruined what could've been a great send-off to Michael J. Fox's distinguished career.

Because I know that someone was thinking, "Heather Locklear's available for the show? Oh, man, she's HAWT. Make the show about her." And that leads me to the other thing: Heather Locklear isn't actually that good an actress. She's adequate. Not bad, not the worst. But if it wasn't for her looks (which I personally don't like) and her reputation in soap operas (which aren't actually known for strong acting), she would be completely average.

The other actors on Spin City - hey, I'm realistic, they're not exactly Meryl Streeps or Tom Hanks. But they were PERFECT for the specific roles they played on the show. Maybe Barry Bostwick could not have been convincing in any other role - but he was a natural as the Mayor. All the actors were in precisely their element.

Heather Locklear simply was not. Every line she delivered, she delivered like she was selling makeup on one of her TV spots - a clean, polished line in a pleasant, lyrical tone - but people don't talk like that in real life. She wasn't terrible - she was adequate - but she simply did not belong on Spin City.

So instead of trying to make Heather Locklear belong on Spin City, they changed Spin City to make it belong to her. There was just enough of the original Spin City to keep the show just watchable in the fourth season, but with Michael J. Fox and Bill Lawrence gone, it plummeted.

And Charlie Sheen - ugh. Dude's like Heather Locklear - delivers every line in just one way - only for him, it's always a low, grating deadpan, like he's soliciting prostitutes on the street.
  • Wonderful show.

Great idea for a show even a comedy. Loved the whole cast but hated when Michael J. Fox left. He was the show to me. But I HATE Charlie Sheen.