SpongeBob SquarePants

Blackened Sponge / Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Aug 03, 2007 on Nickelodeon

7.7
  • Mediocre pair with boring storylines

Blackend Sponge: I thought this episode was okay. The storyline was okay to me, but it seems a little idiotic at times such as SpongeBob and Jack M. Crazyfish complaining about Rock, Paper, Scissor, SpongeBob's lies, and the ending. However, I did admitted that the lies were a little funny to watch. The beginning was funny as well up until they played RPS. I don't really got any more stuffs to say about this episode. So overall, Blackened Sponge was just an okay episode, with some boring/idiotic parts in it. 6/10

MM vs SB (Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob): MEH!! This is the worst Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode ever. It was so boring (much boring than BS) that I couldn't stand watching. Plankton using that thing to control Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy was gross and pathetic. What I meant gross is that the way they looked when Plankton was in control. No, no, when I first saw it like exactly 5 years ago, I knew a Plankton episode with MM and BB wouldn't work. I only laughed at the commercial, the kids attacking Squidward, shot of SpongeBob in his superhero cloth. Plankton squashing Mr. Krabs in the toy box, "you guys live in a dump" (favorite line), and SpongeBob as FryMan (that's the name). Overall, worst MM and BB ever....only those parts are worth watching, the rest, blech...4/10
  • Blackened Sponge was the best of the two.

Blackened Sponge:

Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob:

8 out of 10

• not appeling to me

blackened sponge i hate this episode its one of the worst season 5 episodes why because i dont like it when cool tv characters get a black eye this episode is so pointless and digusting im not watching this episode again my rating for it is a 3.1
    mermaidman vs spongebob way better than that crap its about mermaidman and barnacle boy getting a play house and a delexue mermaidman and barnacle boy lunch however the kids are not happy about this and decide to leave meanwhile plankton tries to melt their brains but fails miserbaly overall i give this one a 8.3 kingnicky1 out
  • They're not the best episodes I've ever seen but they're watchable and "MermaidMan vs. SpongeBob" is much more enjoyable than "Blackened Sponge" in my opinion

Blackened Sponge: I thought that this was an overall good but not great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". It wasn't a bad episode but it could've improved so much more. The plot to this episode just seem to drag a lot and it pretty boring. It's pretty ridiculous that SpongeBob got a black eye by trying to open a toothpaste. SpongeBob's fake stories on how he got the black eye to Patrick, Sandy, and the fishes at the Krusty Krab were pretty boring though and it wouldn't make any sense. They should at least add humor when SpongeBob tells his stories but they weren't even funny. I only laughed at two scenes. I laughed very hard when SpongeBob was yelling "I'm talking to you Grandma". I also laughed very hard at the ending as well. The rest of the episode was just decent but not great. Overall, an good but not so great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 7/10

MermaidMan vs. SpongeBob: This episode was a little better than the first pairing. It wasn't the best but the storyline is much more enjoyable than the first pairing. It was hilarious when SpongeBob says "Yeah, but it's so worth it when you can work in these" (he shows the underwear) and then Plankton says "Stupid kid". It was very funny when Plankton disguised as a person who sells dandruff shampoo. It was funny when Plankton put fake dandruff on MermaidMan but it was gross when BarnacleBoy had real dandruff. Plankton's shampoo seemed to make MermaidMan and BarnacleBoy brainwashed so he has the power to control them by ruining the Krusty Krab's business. Squidward being attacked by the little kids was also funny. It was very funny when Plankton had to yell very loud to MermaidMan about what to say. SpongeBob pretending to be FryBoy was also funny. My score was low because some scenes were dragged and the ending felt a little too rushed. Overall, a great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 7.5/10
  • Best Season 5 episode so far.

In the first episode, SpongeBob gets a black eye. He doesn't want the public to see, so he puts on a pair of sun glasses. SpongeBob lies and said some big fish gave him the black eye. This episode is funny, especially when he accidently tosses a big Krabby Patty in the big fish's face. It's a good episode, but not qutie as good as the next one.

In the second episode, Plankton hypnotizes Mermaid Man and Barnacle in order to give the Krusty Krab a bad name and to get people over to the Chum Bucket. I like this episode so much just because it's so interesting to me. And it's also tied with "Roller Coward" as my favorite Season 5 episode.

Overall, I rate this a 9.3 altogether.
  • A blackned sponge was about him getiing a black eye and everybody thinks he lost a fight so he keeps on making stuff up until the real guy comes. The other one was about the krusty krab getting those old guys to sponser it. But Planton ruins it 4 people.

I think the first one was the best of the season it was very funny. He got a blackned eye from opening his toothpaste.Lol He also bragged to everybody he beat up crazy fish. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah ha ha ha. Lol Lol . I think it was funny he imagined himself very strong. Lol. Okay the other one was about those old guys sponser for the restrount, giving Mr. Krabs more money. But Planton takes over them making people leave. So I thought this one was okay and it was a little bit funny.
  • This just getting bad

3.3
    This just getting bad i mean this just bad. I cant believe this is what spongebob has become a show full of bad jokes and stupid unfunny antics. I'm serious. This is looking like a bad Disney show right. Sponge bob used to be up there with great stats and standerads . Now this this i what my Disney loving sister will watch. I weep what this has become. Spongebob's voice is so much higher now its ridiculous the plots are once again horrible and predicatble and this is the bad apple of the bad apple bunch. Well gotta fly see ya.
  • Don't tell me SpongeBob jumped the shark?

4.9
    This is the type of episode that seemed to be the same thing It gets good in the beginning but gets horrible at the end.

Blackened Sponge: The episode was okay. It's a new classic, but the thing about a black eye is gross. The ending needed work too. I sorta liked it the second time I saw it (except the ending). Also, this is posibly the most underrated episode ever. EPISODE GRADE: C+

Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob: That was the worst MM and BB episode EVER! Plankton was kinda out of character because he hypnotise MM and BB to get him custermers. I thought he did this to steal the You-Know-What. The episode was childish and stupid.
    EPISODE GRADE: D-

I hope another episode like that doesn't happen again! THE END!!

FINAL GRADE: C-
  • Blackened Sponge was very disturbing. Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob was OK.

I didn't like blackened sponge. It's a classical episode idea and usually an idea like this is good. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for SpongeBob. It was weird when SpongeBob was riding on a horse with those muscles. He did not look good. I guess he was never ment to have muscles. I thought I was going to laugh when he got that black eye, but I didn't. Cause it wasn't funny. The only part I really laughed at was when SpongeBob told Gary not to laugh and Gary started laughing. I also laughed when Grandma gave away SpongeBob to Jack M. Crazyfish. Otherwise, this was a very boring episode. Grade: D-. Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob was OK. Plankton is trying to get the formula and he finally decides to brainwash someone. So now SpongeBob has to battle with them in order to save the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs. I laughed when SpongeBob showed Squidward how cute he looked in his uniform. And when Plankton was playing with the dolls, oh that was probably my favorite part of these two episodes. The way he brainwashed Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy was very simple and a classic idea. I liked this episode much more than the first one. Grade: C+.
  • Blackened Sponge: Spongebob gets a black eye and makes up stories about how he got it to his friends. Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob: Plankton tries to brainwash Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy to hate Krabby Patties and attract customers to the Ch

These episodes were terrible!

Blackened Sponge: It was just so boring with Spongebob making up the stories about him getting the black eye. Very bad plot and so boring to watch. I do not recommend watching this episode EVER. Final Grade: F-------- (10%)

Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob: This is just as bad, considering that I'm not a fan of MM or BB. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time on this one either. Most of Season 5 is good in my opinion but these two as well as Spongehenge, Le Big Switch, and The Two Faces of Squidward are the worst of the season. Final Grade: F---------- (8%)
  • Blackened Sponge was okay I guess,but I didn't like Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob.

4.5
    Blackened Sponge:An underrated episode. I don't know why everyone hates this episode,some of the dialogue was clever,and Spongebob's stories were kind of funny. Spongebob's black eye wasn't THAT disgusting and it had a good lesson for the younger audience. The only bad part was the ending. Mermaid Man vs Spongebob:My least favorite MM and BB episode. I thought it was a bad idea to mix a Plankton plot with one of these episodes. The jokes weren't funny, the gag of Spongebob giving MM and BB fiber was ridiculous, and Spongebob made one of his lamest appearances in this episode. Also,why didn't Plankton use MM and BB to steal the formula? He used them to attract customers. Overall,this episode was pointless.
  • 2 of my favorites

Blackened Sponge:
    SpongeBob accidentally gives himself a black eye. However, when people ask him how he got it, he lied and said a notorious outlaw caused it. But then the notorious outlaw REALLY shows up. This is my second favorite episode.

Grade: 9.9/10 A

Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob:
    When Mr. Krabs releases a new Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy promotion, Plankton gets an idea to use Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy to run Mr. Krabs out of business. He hypnotizes them to convince people not to eat there anymore, so it's up to SpongeBob to turn them back to normal. My third favorite episode.

Grade: 9.8/10 A
  • These episodes were all right.

I didn't like blackened sponge so good, it was kind of sad for me to see poor old spongey in so much pain. But I thought it was pretty cool how Jack M. Crazyfish was actually real just as spongebob was about to tell his story about his black eye. I liked his different stories he told everyone. As with Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob, I liked it a little better. But something I didn't get was that Karen bought a kiddie meal from the krusty krab, right? Why didn't she just buy plankton a krabby patty so he would finally fulfill his dream? Well, anyway, these were allright episodes for season 5.
  • Both these episodes were just, meh...

Blackened Sponge was an okay episode. It's one more episode that proves how weak Spongebob is and how much he hates to admit it. There weren't that many funny parts in it. The only parts I laughed at were when Gary was trying not to laugh at Sponge and the grandma joke near the end. Mermaidman and Spongebob was also just okay, but it was better that Blackened Sponge. It was gross to see the dandruff on Barnacle Boy's head. However, there were a few funny parts, like when Spongebob showed Squidward how much he loved his uniform and when Spongebob pretended to be Fry Boy. Otherwise it was just kind of silly, but not bad for a MM and BB episode. Marebear2009, out!
  • This episode had quite an average plotline.

To start I think that the blackened sponge was a quite average episode, because starting from the beginning it has Spongebob brushing his teeth and the part that he couldn't open the tooth brush was hilarious in my opinion since it's very easy to open that. And that he had to use a tool to open it was very funny; as for the dream he had I must say that it was very interesting because we see Spongebob as a hero fighting against a villain not seen in the story, and that the villain was 60 feet tall seemed kind of disturbing because at the end when he entered the Krusty Krab he seemed much smaller which surprised me and the episode was overall a good one.

As for Mermaid Man vs Spongebob I must say that it was also good in many ways because we see Plankton in another attempt to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula disguised as a cleaner for people's hair that was hilarious in my opinion. Also the dialogue of the heroes that was good as I saw it. And I thought that Spongebob's role in the episode was great because acts as a hero for the Krusty Krab which I liked.
  • Blackened Sponge was eh, Mermaidman vs. Spongebob was satisfying.

I feel that this episode is severely underrated, escpecially Mermaidman vs. Spongebob. But I'm going to start off with Blackened Sponge. It wasn't that good, or even mediocre to be honest. There was one thing that ruined it completely for me. Spongebob's black eye. Ohmygaw, it was probably the ugliest black guy I've ever seen. In the second part Plankton ordered some Krabby Kid Meal or something and sees how Mermaindman and Barnacle Boy are promoting the Krusty Krab. Then he gets the idea to turn them against it and say bad things about the Krusty Krab, however, couldn't he have gotten the formula from the meal he ordered at the beggining...? Idk, but the rest of the episode was pretty solid, except when they showed Mermaidman's and Barnacle Boys heads with dandruff. Ew.
  • Plankton had the formula and abused it?!?!

5.8
    Blackened Sponge: SpongeBob retardenly gives himself a black eye when he falls on a home improvement tool. So he lies to Patrick, Sandy, and everyone at the Krusty Krab that he got it from a fictional outlaw from his dreams, Jack M. Crazyfish. But at the end, it turns out he is real, so SpongeBob shows what really happened, giving him another black eye. First off, EWWWW!!!!! SpongeBob's black eye was digusting! It looked a lot better in A Life in a Day but it was digusting in this one! Still, this one was really bad. In fact, when he lied to Sandy and the Krusty Krab, those ways he got his black eye was just as stupid as he really did. Terrible episode.
    GRADE: D-

Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob: A lot better than Blackened Sponge, but bad at the beginning. In this episode, after playing with promotional Mermaidman and Barnacleboy toys from the Krusty Kids meal, Plankton has an idea. Let's stop right there. This was Plankton's perfect chance to get the formula! A Krusty Kids meal does come with a Pipsqueak Patty, so shouldn't Plankton take it out and put it in the identifier to get the formula? Anyways, in order to get customers, Plankton uses a mind control shampoo to critize the Krusty Krab and praise the Chum Bucket at a press conference. Right when Plankton has customers, SpongeBob feeds Mermaidman and Barnacleboy a Krabby Patty and fiber. At the end, the two say they like the Krusty Krab as Plankton lost his customers, ending the episode. There were two tings I didn't get about this episode. Barnacleboy didn't have dandruff in Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V, and also, Mermaidman and Barnacleboy only took a bite out of theit Krabby Patties? Bizzare. The beginning kinda ruined the grade, but this episode was average.
    GRADE: C-

FINAL GRADE: D
  • Plankton is up to no good again as Krabs is having a giant sale with mascots Mermaid Man and Barnical boy. But Plankton goes off the deep end and controls them.

The Krusty Krab is having a big sale and Plankton is watching the sale in the Chum bucket and spots Karen. Karen comes in and explains she was getting a kids meal for him. Plankton starts playing with the toys and beats up Krab's picture on the side of the of the box and then gets an idea. At Shady Sholes retirement home Plankton says that they have dandruff and brigs out Proffcer Plankton's "dandruff" control shampoo and puts it on their head. Then the superheros start to look hypnotic and Plankton rips off a label and it says Poffecer Plankton mind control shampoo. At the Krusty Krab things have gone from bad to worse the kids want to see their favorite superheros. So Mr. Krabs sends Spongebob to get them. The superheros have completely trashed the retirement home.They arrive at the Krusty Krab and Plankton talk for Mermaid Man and says they hate Krabby Patties and like the Chum Bucket's food instead. On the way over they face Spongebob who makes them eat a krabby patty but nothing happens. So the heros run over Spongebob on the way over to the Chum Bucket. Then Spongebob has an idea he gets a truck load of fiber and dumps into the heros stomachs and the food digests and they go over to Krusty Krab to have a Krabby patty
  • Eh, not my favorites.

So, the Blackened Eye episode is the reason this is rated in the 8's. I'm not much of a Mermain Man and Barnacle Boy fan. There, I said it! I don't like those episodes!

The blackened eye one was pretty cleaver. It was funny, especially since people didn't believe his story. I mean, come on! Spongebob...tough? LOL He'd lose a fight with a straw! In all, it was just ok. If it's on TV, I'll watch it.

Mermain Man Vs. Spongebob...eh, not my favorite. At least it had all the main characters in it for the most part. My favorite character is Squidward and since he was in it, it was ok. =) Plankton was in it as well (DUH). I think he had a good idea going...until he forgot to think ahead. LOL

~Snyder~
  • What is this anyway?

6.6
    Blackened Sponge: Terrible, stupid, and boring combind! Spongebob got himself a black-eye and I can't bear seeing it! The ending sucks too, he got another black-eye so he can prove about Mc Jack Crazy Guy, so whatever. So I won't ever ever see this episode again! For some reason, the creators may run out of ideas for an episode if it happens again.

Episode Grade: D+

Mermaid Man VS Sponge: Better as ever, the plot was very good, although has nothing to do with the formula. Just about customer satisfaction. Also, the ideas for the episode or something like that was very good too and Spongebob will always know what to do when there's a mind control.

Episode Grade: C+

Final Grade: C-
  • So Spongebob gets a black eye and Plankton does another 'I'm gonna steal a Krabby Pattey'. Not the best episode, I can tell you that.

5.5
    Spongebob is completly going down the drain. I expected this episode to be good and to be better because well, just the title catches your eye. Well it wasn't. It seemed so dull and overplotted. The Blackened Sponge could have been told the same was in about five minutes other than the tweleve minutes they gave us. Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob was just boring. We need some more good episodes Nick!

The Blackened Sponge was about Spongebob getting a black eye and lying about it. He comes up with all these cray stories and finaly tells the truth at the end. I had a few issues with the plot and a few other issues with the way they made Spongebob. The plot goes on and on and gets very boring after a while. Spongebob is also very mean in this episode. I don't like when Spongebob is mean. You're supposed to feel sorry for the little guy but how are you supposed to do that when he's so mean. It just wasn't right. The other part, Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob wasn't any better. To be honest it was almost worse! It's just another Plankton episode where he tries to steal the Kraby Pattey. Not that good if you ask me.

So these episodes weren't good. Nick can do much better so I'm giving this a 5 out of 10.
  • Ok. This is not a very good episode.

6.7
    I bet SpongeBob can do better than this. I didn't think it was that good. It was so boring and I didn't stick around to watch it anymore. There was some funny parts here and there, I thought Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob was way better than Blackend Sponge, that stunk! As I said in my forum post if you have read it, they should have stopped making episodes. Here are reasons. #1 The plots are bad #2 SpongeBob's voice is higher. I just want them to stop making episodes or my #1 show will go down to were about to the rating of Tak. I don't want that to happen. That's my reveiw.