SpongeBob SquarePants

Christmas Who?

Aired Weekdays 5:30 PM Dec 06, 2000 on Nickelodeon

• This Special shouldn't've existed. Take it back and give me 30 precious minutes I wasted! There were some good parts, but this is not a good special.

I personally did not enjoy this special. Sorry, I just did not find it that amusing.

I love the show and all, but Christmas just isn't their thing. Maybe it should've stayed away from Bikini Bottom.

The characters were out of place, except Mr. Krabs, who I liked in this episode. There were some clever jokes and puns here and there, but I did not enjoy it.

Well, sorry, folks. I give it a 4. Maybe it just wasn't what I expected.

• Well, at least they tried

5.5
    The first Spongebob special. It seemed as if it was going to be charming, but it was just a tad below average. The worst part was Patchy. They should have never involved him in Spongebob specials. It just ruins the special. They spend 5-10 minutes with Patchy the first part. And guess what, when it officially started, it was already 8-10 minutes in and the special is only 1/2 an hour. What a waste of time. They actually go back to Patchy way before the special ends(5-10 minutes before it ended), which means that the cartoon part was the time a regular episode will last(about 10-12 minutes) and they spend the rest on Patchy. The cartoon part was actually good, but Patchy's part was just bad. Definitely below average because of Patchy. He makes it sound like a boring documentary. 5.5/10
  • This episode is nice!

6.7
    It's Christmas time, and Patchy the Pirate is telling the story of how Spongebob first brought Christmas to Bikini Bottom. Spongebob is sneaking up to Sandy's tree dome to perform is new karate move, and sees Sandy lighting up her tree to look like a Christmas tree. Spongebob, mistaking the lights for fire, freaks out and runs in and splashes water on Sandy. An annoyed Sandy realizes that Spongebob's never seen a Christmas tree. Confused, Spongebob asks what Christmas is, and Sandy tells Spongebob about Santa Claus, decorating, giving and receiving presents, and all of that other Christmas etc. Spongebob hurries to the Krusty Krab afterwards and tells Mr. Krabs, Patrick, and Squidward all about what he's learned. Spongebob spreads Christmas all over Bikini Bottom, telling how you can write to Santa, and he'll give you what you want. Then everyone in Bikini Bottom writes their wish of what they want to Santa, and Spongebob uses a machine to shoot the letters up to the ocean surface. However, one certain grinch, Squidward, refuses to take part in this merriment. While everyone decorates and writes letters to Santa, Squidward refuses to believe in Santa and all the Christmas cheer. On Christmas Eve, everyone waits outside singing for Santa, while Squidward goes to sleep. The next morning, Santa never came, and everyone gets mad at Spongebob for filling their heads with fairy-tales and leaves Spongebob. Spongebob, heartbroken, is only made worse when Squidward comes out and makes fun and taunts Spongebob about Santa. Spongebob gives Squidward a present that he would've given him so he wouldn't feel left out if Santa came. Squidward unwraps the present to find a carved wooden clarinet, hand-made by Spongebob. Squidward is touched and feels like a jerk. Spongebob, still sad, starts to undecorate, when he hears, "HO! HO! HO!". Squidward, feeling bad for Spongebob, appears dressed as Santa Clause. Spongebob freaks out and gets all excited, Santa tells Spongebob that he brought Christmas to Bikini Bottom by telling them about it, which makes Spongebob faint with happiness. Squidward is ready to take the suit off, when all the fish of Bikini Bottom appear, asking for presents. Squidward runs in and out of his house giving all the fish his belongings to make Spongebob and them happy, and sharing Christmas spirit. When it's all over, Squidward has nothing left and takes off the suit, and Spongebob appears to him telling him everything he missed, and Squidward pushes Spongebob away. That's when Squidward finds a note at his doorstep. It's a note from Santa! The note thanks Squidward for helping him spread joy, and tells him he's been a good boy this year. Squidward then looks up to see the real Santa in his sleigh flying out of Bikini Bottom, laughing with joy. Shocked, Squidward just tells himself he's insane, and walks back into his empty house playing his wooden clarinet.
  • Spongebob Christmas special!

This episode turned out to be a big part for Season 2 to be a golden season. But does it matter? Anyway, this episode is about Spongebob learning about the true meaning of Christmas. The find this episode pretty funny, and also entertaining. However, this show probally has a 3-D-ical and cartoonical touch. This is better than that Scaredy Pants which was a little letdown. To continue, Squidward dosen't believe in Santa, and now cares for Spongebob again but, it wasn't much of a situation. Just like a genie, Santa gives presents to you, but not really as you know. This was a good Christmas special. I also liked the song Spongebob and Patrick and the others including Squidward had sang.

Final Grade: B-
  • I can't belive my friend does'nt like the Christmas song!

Sigh, this is why I love Christmas, not the fruitcake, tree, decarotions or, presents. It's the TV specials! I always tune into ABC family to watch TV specials, plus, I have this on DVD so, no need for me to worry! There was a goof here, In Jellyfishing, Patrick said "Merry Christmas!" Looks like Nick has some explanation... So, Squidward. Are you done being mean? Tornenting ol' Spongebob? And, snow/sandmans are lieing around everywhere! So, Christmas once gone and, the end of another Christmas, but I saw this in January... Spongebob: "I think we'll be able to finish by January!" Good-bye. And, happy Holidays.
  • this was a good special

in this ep of the show spongebob its a special a christmas special and how spongebob is tring to bring christmas down to bikinbottom when he learns about the holiday and so he gets the towns people to get togeather and sing holiday cheers and everyone is giving gifts to people and they there waiting for santa and thing is he does not show up right away and spongebob is sad and so squid dresses up like him and then at night they see santa come over head. this was a good speical and that is why i gave it a 8.5
  • part of the golden era

wow, the very first undersea chritmas. i thoguht the plot was great. The end where SB was all sad and squidward was being a Jack*** was a very good part. Mr. Krabs high pitched voice was funny. i thought this was SB's only good singing performance. otherwise, he can't sing. but one thing still clued me, how did sandy know about christmas if she's a squirrle? well, it is just a carttonn. very superb episode altogether and it deserves a good rating. therefore i give this episode... .... a 9.0 now evryone's happy. Yahhh! I hope SB's other christmases were better!
  • It's turning out to be a wonderful episode!

Christmas Who?: This is the best episode ever! SpongeBob finally finds out about the holiday that people like us love! This episode also has my favorite SpongeBob musical number. Santa didn't come to them. I like the part when they show a donkey over his head to show he is a, well, you know what I mean. This episode is flawless! The first SpongeBob Christmas episode. Maybe they can make another Christmas episode like this. It is just so great! The character development was what I liked. SpongeBob acted totally like himself. That is an episode I want see again. I have the DVD, so I can watch it these holidays!

Final Score: A++
  • MY Favorite spongbob episode-and its a Christmas Special!!!

Ilove this episode because its a Christmas Special and it was really funny. Especially the song and I always crack up when spongebob is singing the son and goes, "LALALALALALALA" and he's dancing and all of a sudden, he appears at Squid-ward's dooray and is dancing and singing at Sqidward is all dubstruck. This episode was awesome and how Sqidward pretended to be Santa and he had a huge nose and wore no pants-well this episode is definetly special considering it's a full 30-mintue episode and Patchy hosts it. I would never grow tired of watching this Christmas special. AWESOME!!!!
  • This is definitely the best special out of the entire series!

Christmas Who? is truly the greatest Holiday special ever! It is a glowing and shining Christmas spirit masterpiece showing the good deeds of what makes you feel the best during Christmas time! Giving to others the best gifts you can find! Christmas is a very special and spiritual holiday meant for happiness and joy with gifts all the time! And this special of SpongeBob SquarePants proves just how great this show and Christmas can be! Sandy is a land animal, and since she used to live in Texas, she knows what Christmas is and when it is held: December 25th! She is in her Tree Dome decorating her tree house with colorful and beaming lights! Spongebob thinks its a fire, so he goes in and tries to douse it with fire! Sandy talks with him though and realizes that sea creatures suprisingly have never heard of Christmas, and also have not celebrated it before, until now! In this star episode! SpongeBob and all of his friends along with the rest of the Bikini Bottomites are all excited and raving about this special holiday now, and people are now writing wishes on pieces of paper to be put into glass bottles to be rocketed up to the surface of the water so Santa Clause can see them! Squidward is the only one now though who seems to be uninterested in this holiday, so for a while throughout the episode he is sorta like Scrooge, but then the best part happens! Squidward later on realizes that Christmas truly is a super awesome holiday for kindness, sharing, and desired gifts for entertainment and pleasure! Squidward is so happy he got a wooden clarinet with pop-up miniature wooden squids! After seeing that Bikini Bottom is crushed about Santa Clause still not arriving to deliver their gifts, Squidward decides to do his job for him! And best of all is he makes everyone happy and excited to receive their most desired gifts! The end is also funny when the real Santa gives Squidward his letter saying that he's been a real good boy this year, and then rides by over Bikini Bottom waving to him! That was aweesome and epic! And funny when Squidward said this: "Yep, I'm insane." Lol! There was also other terrific parts to this episode, everything in this episode was 100% win and flawless! Great Christmas music, Christmas-themed stuff like angel and fruit cake, Mistletoe, giant candy canes, and reindeer are what truly makes this a wonderful special that the whole family can enjoy and will really knock your socks off!
  • A very heartwarming episode with many hilarious moments throughout. Quite possibly one of the best of the whole series.

Without a doubt, this is my favorite special of the whole series. I wish the more recent specials of Spongebob could be as good as this one. It had so many great moments, such as the song, especially when Mr. Krabs sang in that really high-pitched voice. The actor who played Santa Claus at the end was also very funny! I also liked how, unlike many of the other 30-minute specials, there was not too much of Patchy in this one. The parts he was in were actually pretty funny, like when he read who the letter was from near the beginning. This was also a very heartwarming episode. I liked how Squidward really cared about Spongebob and how he wanted him to be happy. It's one of the very few times Squidward has actually done something nice for Spongebob.:) So, all in all, this is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series,and I would definitely recommend it to anyone! Merry Christmas, everybody!!!!! Marebear2009, out!
  • Spongebob Squarepants's Christmas Special

In this Christmas episode, Sandy tells Spongebob about Santa Clause, and Spongebob tells the whole town about Santa and they all bottle up their wishes and put them together, and send them to the Land where Santa supposeably lives. The only one who isn't enthusastic is Squidward, who believes Santa doesn't exist. Later, Spongebob gathers the whole town to wait for Santa, but he never comes. Will Santa come, or is Squidward right that he dosn't exist? This is a beautifully written episode, it's funny, it's touching, and it's the first episode ith Patchy the Pirate. A series classic for sure. 10/10 A+
  • For a holiday episode it is about average

Well they certainly did not do a bad job on this here episode. It is definitely not a bad addition to the show. It is about average. The only thing special is the fact that this is about christmas. This only is an average episode so if it weren't for the fact that it is about christmas it would get a lower rating. I know it sounds kind of mean to diss the episode like this but it just isn't like SB129 or Karate Choppers. There are episodes better than this that come on every day but it isn't as bad as the horribly bad episode Squirrel Jokes.
  • Christmas in Bikini Bottom

Okay, apparently people don't know the meaning of "very special episode". It does NOT mean "special" in terms of a Christmas or Thanksgiving special episode. A "very special episode" refers to an episode that addresses a serious issue in modern-day life (i.e. death, divorce, violence, racism, rape); these episodes usually have zero comedy. It was hilarious to see Santa going crazy for about two minutes in this episode. I laughed like crazy the first time I saw it.

Spongebob, Patrick: It's shaping up to be a wonderful holiday, not your natural, average everyday.
    Squidward: Sounds like someone felled my old coraltree.
    Spongebob, Patrick, why'd you do this to me?
    Spongebob, Patrick: This Christmas feels like the very first Christmas
    to me.
    Plankton: People are being more brotherly.
    Mr. Krabs: Here's a little present from you to me.
    Spongebob, Patrick: Even all the trash on christmas-- it smells so
    sweetly. This Christmas feels like the very first Christmas to me.
    Spongebob: La la la la la la la la ( Repeat 4x)
    Sqwuidward: What do you want? Can't you see that I'm busy?
    Spongebob, Patrick: Step outside, we've go something for you to see.
    Squidward: Spongebob, take this stuff down immediately.
    Spongebob, Patrick: Chestnuts roasted and burnt to the third degree.
    Spongebob, Patrick, whole cast (except Squidward): This christmas feels like the very first Christmas to me. (2x)
  • One of the best Spongebob episodes ever! [includes spoilers]

"Christmas Who?" was one of my favorite episodes in the series. I like how they extended it out to 30 minutes because then the story has more time to develop. The short segments with Patchy and Potty were also funny and cute. My favorite part was the catchy song in the middle. This episode has a nice, traditional storyline and theme.

Sandy introduces the story of Christmas to Spongebob, who in turn, tells it to the entire town. Throughout most of the episode, Squiward publicly announces his disbelief in Santa Claus. Meanwhile, Spongebob and everyone else prepare for Santa Claus's arrival. When Santa doesn't come on Christmas morning, Spongebob is heartbroken, and Squidward laughs at him. Spongebob then gives Squidward a fancy wooden clarinet that plays the "dance of the sugar plum fairy" [from the Nutcracker. Squidward starts to feel bad, so he runs into his house and comes back out looking like Santa Claus. Spongebob sees him and is overjoyed, but then all the citizens of Bikini Bottom show up and are expecting gifts from Santa. Squidward, not wanting to upset the people, gives away almost all his possessions. Then, after everyone leaves, Santa appears and Squidward receives a 'thank-you note' from him. The episode ends with a Patchy the pirate scene.
  • 5th best spongebob episode

'nuff said
  • Topics good for young and slightly older :) Very cute.

A somewhat rare episode (showing mostly during the holiday season), it is satisfactory and has appropriate topics for the younger children to enjoy. And the subtle hints that appear in the middle are enjoyable to the slightly older viewers such as myself (I am a teenager). Not too many, so the clever little kids don't catch on, not like the episode 'The Grass is Greener.' The younger children, probably 8-10 years, would enjoy the Christmas song that Spongebob, Patrick, and the other characters sing. And then again, the teens would enjoy parts of the song too ('...and burns in the third degree...'). Overall, it's an adorable episode for most ages :)
  • This is a great episode and a very special one.

It's Christmastime, and Patchy the Pirate is telling the story of how Spongebob first brought Christmas to Bikini Bottom...

Spongebob, mistaking the lights for fire, freaks out and runs in and splashes water on Sandy. Annoyed Sandy thinks Spongebob's never seen a Christmas tree.
    Confused, Spongebob asks what Christmas is, and Sandy tells Spongebob about Santa Claus, decorating, giving and recieving presents. Spongebob hurries to the Krusty Krab afterwards and tells Mr. Krabs, Patrick, and Squidward all about what he's learned.
    Spongebob spreads Christmas all over Bikini Bottom, telling how you can write to Santa, and everyone in Bikini Bottom writes their wish of what they want to Santa, and Spongebob uses a machine to shoot the letters up to the ocean surface.
    However, one certain grinch refuses to take part in this merriment, and I'll give you 3 guesses to who it is (and no, it's not Plankton)-Squidward.
    Very good episode.
  • Absolutely hilarious

This is one Spongebob episode for everyone. Its so just so funny and such an entertaining episode to watch. Spongebo annoying everyone about Christmas and the holiday spirit, also getting Squidward into a comma. But gives Squidward a present anyways, funny Patrick dumbness, Holiday singing "this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me!", this episode was hilarious. Probably next to Fairly Odd Parent's "Christmas Everyday?" and Hey Arnold's Christmas Special, this is one of the best holiday nick special nick's had to offer us. A lot of reviewers seem to be negative on Spongebob, well if you still say the show sucks then watch this one. Its hilarious and one of the finer examples of Spongebob's episodes.
  • Not only is it one of the best SpongeBob episodes, it's the best Christmas special.

When Sandy tells SpongeBob about Christmas, he tells everyone in Bikini Bottom about it and everyone wants to write a letter to Santa except Squidward. The episode is really funny and very heartwarming. It's not just one of the best SpongeBob episode, it's not just the best SpongeBob special, but it's also the best Christmas special. It is much better than the new SpongeBob Christmas special and I will watch this episode every year when Christmas is coming.
  • At least its better than the first one!

Hey, this one is waaaay better than the new stop animation one. I mean "Jerktonium". yep. thats DEFENATLY funny. I like the first one :) its rlly funny lol!
  • Christmas Classic

Spongebob tries to prove Santa's existence against Squidward's denial. Squidward proves right there is no Santa but he feels bad so he poses as Santa.

A good episode, Christmas specials of shows are almost always good and this was certainly no exception. Squidward was nice when he was giving people whatever they wanted and the ending, whilst kind of dumb (it's for the children!), gave me a chuckle. Overall, a classic Christmas episode, my overall grade for this is without a doubt, an A+. Funny ,heartwarming, and a very interesting plot, this episode very easily gets a perfect score, 10!
  • Perfect

10 out of 10

• The Best Episode Ever...........

I just watched this episode last night with my daughter AND my mother. We all loved it. It's become a holiday tradition. I love everything about it. Well almost...I'll get to that later. Spongebob is introduced to Christmas by Sandy who explains in a funny interpretive, animated way, who Santa Claus is. Spongebob is enamored by her story and can't wait to tell all of Bikini Bottom! He encourages everyone to write a letter to Santa and everyone does, except Squidward, of course. Squiddy takes on the role of Scrooge in this episode and is delighted when Spongebob is disappointed when Santa does not show up on his appointed day. Sponge's expression is so mournfully sad, that it's hard to remember that it's just a cartoon. We want to cry right along side of Sponge when his big dream does not come true. Head down, tears flowing, he hands Squidward a homemade gift and starts tearing down the decorations. Squid is horrified that he has been such a jerk when he sees the effort SB has put into making him a classic clarinet. Squid comes to the rescue and dresses up as Santa to assure Spongebob that his dream really did come true. My favorite scene is the one w/ everyone singing and decorating the town. Is it just me or does part of the song's melody sound exactly like Winter Wonderland? I've seen this episode so many times, I can sing along w/ it now. Mr. Krabs surprises us all with his amazing falsetto voice. The only part of this episode that I do not like is at the very end when Patchy the Pirate hangs some mistletoe and is looking for someone to kiss. It creeps me out, probably because it reminds me of an uncle I have that always tried to kiss the girls around Christmas. (but that's my issue and I'm learning how to deal with it over the years). In summary, this show makes me happy every time I watch it. Merry Christmas Everyone! Let's all remember to be excited about the simple pleasures of the season.
  • Awesome Episode!

One of my favorite Christmas specials of any show since it really captured the true meaning of Christmas. One of the best Spongebob episodes bar none. And it had an epic song to go along with it.

Great episode, great song, lots of funny moments too. This episode always gets me in the Christmas spirit and I love this quote:

Spongebob: Gee Squidward, maybe Santa will bring me a dictionary so I can understand what you just said.

10/10"Spongebob made me a gift? Pfft, it's probably a krabby patty, or an old jellyfish net, or (goofy voice) his favorite underpants!"(I think that's how the quote goes)

That's my favorite quote. xP Oh, and the song "Spongebob's First Christmas" was awsome!

Overall, a great holiday episode!
  • An amazing, hillarious, and interesting episode

This is one of my favorite episodes ever. Sandy Cheeks explains the stoy of Christmas to Spongebob, and then he spreads it around Bikini Bottom. soon, the whole town is sending letters to Santa Clause hoping he would come. Squidward, however, does not believe in him and does not wright to him. On Christmas eve Spongebob and most of the town stay's up all night waiting for Santa to come and he doesn't. Spongebob is heartbroken and squidward starts putting him down and insulting him. Squidward feels bad in the end, dresses up as Santa, and gives gifts to the whole town just so Spongebob can be happy.
  • SpongeBob has done it agian he made me laugh really hard!

SpongeBob has the best chirsmas eipsodes I have ever seen. It was sad though when santa didn't come. Squideward was very grouchy in this episode. Spongebob rules! Spongebob Rules he is awsome he is funny he acts really dumd which is silly. He rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules he rules Spongebob rocks!
  • The only one episode of an spongebob christmas special.

Bikii Bottom never heard of Christmas.When Spongebob saw Sandy's treehouse.She was the one that told him about Christmas.Which made the others believed in Santa Clause.Of course Squidward doesn't believed any of those kind of junk.So he just ignored the people and knew that Christmas didn't exist nor Santa claus.When Santa never came.Everyone just got mad at Spongebob and went off.After Spongebob gave Squidward an carved gold clarienet as an present.Squidward decided to do something nice for Spongebob in return as posing as Santa Clause.Of course in the end he gave all his stuff away to the people.Now remembered that this is the only episode where Squidward is extremely nice to Spongebob well at the end of course.
  • Hillerious

I have never seen such a funnmier show as SpongeBob, and I\'m yet a teen. SpongeBob finds out about Christmas and decides to celebrate it. Soon the citizens of Bikini Bottum are running about buying gifts and of course, it\'s always Squidward that spoils it all. I found the last part to very touching and lively tearing on the eyes.
  • When Sandy tells Spongebob about the wonderful story of Chirstmas, he tells it to everyone else. Then, Biniki Bottom wants to get Santa to visit! Also, they try to get Squiward to write a letter, but he refuses. After a cute little song, no Santa! Them, S

Best one ever! Personally, this is my favorite. I love the Chirstmas song. I keep singing it in school all the time! XD I hope I can get this episode on DVD sometime soon. I like how Gary has a part. It's just a "Meow" but, it's still really cute!
< 1 2