SpongeBob SquarePants

Christmas Who?

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Dec 06, 2000 on Nickelodeon

• The Best Episode Ever...........

I just watched this episode last night with my daughter AND my mother. We all loved it. It's become a holiday tradition. I love everything about it. Well almost...I'll get to that later. Spongebob is introduced to Christmas by Sandy who explains in a funny interpretive, animated way, who Santa Claus is. Spongebob is enamored by her story and can't wait to tell all of Bikini Bottom! He encourages everyone to write a letter to Santa and everyone does, except Squidward, of course. Squiddy takes on the role of Scrooge in this episode and is delighted when Spongebob is disappointed when Santa does not show up on his appointed day. Sponge's expression is so mournfully sad, that it's hard to remember that it's just a cartoon. We want to cry right along side of Sponge when his big dream does not come true. Head down, tears flowing, he hands Squidward a homemade gift and starts tearing down the decorations. Squid is horrified that he has been such a jerk when he sees the effort SB has put into making him a classic clarinet. Squid comes to the rescue and dresses up as Santa to assure Spongebob that his dream really did come true. My favorite scene is the one w/ everyone singing and decorating the town. Is it just me or does part of the song's melody sound exactly like Winter Wonderland? I've seen this episode so many times, I can sing along w/ it now. Mr. Krabs surprises us all with his amazing falsetto voice. The only part of this episode that I do not like is at the very end when Patchy the Pirate hangs some mistletoe and is looking for someone to kiss. It creeps me out, probably because it reminds me of an uncle I have that always tried to kiss the girls around Christmas. (but that's my issue and I'm learning how to deal with it over the years). In summary, this show makes me happy every time I watch it. Merry Christmas Everyone! Let's all remember to be excited about the simple pleasures of the season.