SpongeBob SquarePants

Demolition Doofus / Face Freeze

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Jul 21, 2012 on Nickelodeon

5.6
  • Apparently, you either like or don't like these episodes...I don't like them

Okay, I'll be honest, I haven't seen all of "Demolition Doofus." However, in my opinion, I've seen enough to give a fair analysis.

It's no secret that the more recent episodes with Mrs. Puff as a main character, she's been shown as less and less of a sympathetic character. At first, it was easy to feel sorry for her: she had to put up with SpongeBob constantly failing his driving test. But even so, she was still affable to SpongeBob and willing to help him when he needed it.

But this episode...there was one line in particular I heard from the snippet I saw of this episode, and boy, was it a doozy. In summary, Mrs. Puff enters SpongeBob in a demolition derby, where he ends up winning because of his bad driving. But as SpongeBob is avoiding being crushed with pure dumb luck, a clearly angry Mrs. Puff yells "Why are you still alive?"

And...just like that, any sympathy I had left for Mrs. Puff was gone. At first, it seemed like she only saw SpongeBob as a small annoyance. But now, he's such a problem to her that she wants him dead. Even with how much the show itself has decayed over the years, that's...pretty sadistic.

"Face Freeze" wasn't much better for me. Basically, the whole episode is about SpongeBob and Patrick making disgusting faces, and eventually their faces stick. Uh huh. Another episode showcasing how stupid and childish SpongeBob and Patrick can be, just like "Hide and Then What Happens," another terrible episode.

The "manchild" thing was cute for the movie. But now...well, let's just say I know twelve-year-olds who act more mature than SpongeBob and Patrick combined, and leave it at that.

I wasn't impressed with this episode. Thumbs-down.