SpongeBob SquarePants

Driven to Tears / Rule of Dumb

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Feb 19, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• As one was eh, the other one is just one of the worst episodes ever.

DTT: Meh, not a great episode. Better than most Post-Movie crap, but still not good. It was pretty dull , and really, Patrick was still a jerk here. Overall, this one is mixed. Not a good episode by any means, but not terrible either. Grade: 5/10

ROD: This episode has just GOT to be one of the worst I've ever seen! I'll quote RWF when he said this episode should be called "Patrick acts like a jerkwad". "Now you can spend the rest of your life crying about it!" is possibly, Patrick's worst line EVER! also, there was no humor here, that's all it WAS, just Patrick being a douchebag for 11 minutes. I really hate this episode, and I hope the writers will either stop making episodes around patrick, or just remove him entirely (Well, at least until Hillenburg comes back by year's end). Grade:1/10
  • Two Patrick episodes...one was good but the other wasn't that great

Driven to tears: I liked this episode better but it still has its flaws...I'll tell you later after this. Funny parts in the episode include SpongeBob actually failing the test again a minute and a half later, Patrick actually passing the test, Patrick making some sound effect late at night, Patrick talking to SpongeBob's parents and those are pretty much it. However, the reason for my much lower score is that the episode itself was boring and never my favorite to begin with. Plus Patrick was getting a little OoC for rubbing the license in SpongeBob's face. Those problems were in the way of keeping my score high. So a decent and bearly enjoyable episode. 7/10

Rule of Dumb: I didn't liked this one too much. It is 10 points worse than Driven to Tears. But I just hated how Patrick got OoC again (this might prove that got more dumber since this season) like making him and SpongeBob getting kicked out of the Krusty Krab because of the free price, making the comic book fish cry, and a couple more. Those parts were why my score is very low and I never really enjoyed this one. The only time I laughed was Patrick trying to eat the crown, the montage of Patrick doing stuffs as king, Patrick moving Squidward's house, and monster Patrick in the mirror. Overall score 6/10
  • Driven to Tears saves this episode's score by FIVE points.

1.5

Driven to Tears:
    SpongeBob is hoping to get his drivers license with Patrick supporting him. But when it turns out that he fails his test for the 58th time, Patrick suspects that the test is rigged. To prove this, Patrick takes the test himself and to SpongeBob's surprise, passes. When Patrick goes to get his picture taken for his new license, he learns that he is the 1,000,000th person to get his drivers license. He is then rewarded with a brand-new hotrod. While Patrick is having the greatest day of his life, SpongeBob is extremely jealous. Pretty soon, SpongeBob gets fed up with Patrick's bragging. While Patrick is giving SpongeBob a ride home, SpongeBob notices that he's a terrible driver. SpongeBob can't take any more of this and rips up Patrick's license and throws the pieces out the car. A police officer then goes after them for littering and, pretty soon, SpongeBob and Patrick find themselves in a massive car chase. Patrick is finally arrested and is sentenced to 90 days in prison for littering. SpongeBob, feeling guilty, takes the fall for it. After SpongeBob's term, he and Patrick are extremely glad to be reunited once again and SpongeBob gives patrick a license plate he made printed "Friends 4Ever". Patrick then says that his car stopped working (it was on "E", which Patrick knew/thought it was on "End") so he threw it away. But they still find use of the plate and pretend to drive away.

1.5 out of 10

Rule of Dumb:
    Patrick meets a guy with a top hat. He thinks his library books are so overdue that he will go to jail. But it is actually a guy who says that Patrick's ancestors had ruled over Bikini bottom, so he is a king. He goes to the Krusty Krab and orders one of everything, without paying. Then he steals a little fish's comic book collection. Then Patrick takes every thing from all of Bikini bottom. He tries to move away Squidward's house, but Squidward says he is not really a king. Everyone believes him and leave. Patrick tells Spongebob to get him a drink, but Spongebob does not listen anymore. Patrick looks in the mirror and sees he is a monster. So he gives the crown back to the king who gave him the crown, but he shows Patrick is not king. A mud stain was on the scroll of the ancestors, and now Gary is the "new" king.

1 out of 10

FINAL SCORE: 1.5 out of 10

• These episodes prove how much I hate Patrick

Yes,if you may have known,Spongebob has gone downhill lately,and if there is one character I cannot stand,it's Patrick. And these episodes prove my reasons why I hate him. Let's start with Driven to Tears:

Driven to Tears:
    Okay,so Spongebob has gotten cheat cards from Patrick to finally get his license,but guess what? Patrick eats it. Man,what an idiot. Spongebob tries to pass without the cards,but ends up failing again,and I wouldn't blame him. Patrick decides to do the test,and passes it. He goes to the DMV to get his license,and ends up being the millionth customer,and wins a free boatmobile. And when he get it,he starts to act like a selfish jerk. I mean,half of the episode has him bragging about his stupid license. He even spends all night fixing it,and doesn't realize how much racket he makes. And even worse,wears a daredevil suit while driving. Geez,what a show-off. But it gets worse,he doesn't even look at the red lights. Spongebob finally gets fed up with Patrick,and they end up fighting. Spongebob rips Patrick's license despite the fact that licenses are made out of RUBBER,not paper. Patrick ends up in jail because of littering instead of getting a fine,so Spongebob takes his place. After a long time in jail,Spongebob returns out of jail,and he makes a license plate for Patrick. But Patrick threw the car away because it was on E. Seriously,he can fix a boat,but doesn't even know what E means. Overall,this was just a bad episode. Patrick was such a selfish jerk with his license and to Spongebob. And those are my thoughts.
    1\10

Then,Rule of Dumb:
    This was a bigger reason why I hate Patrick. At the beginning,a guy appears to Patrick's house,but he thinks he's a librarian for his overdue library moments,and burns the books. Seriously,Patrick is that stupid? It turns out the guy is someone who has a scroll proving that Patrick is a king. And Patrick mistakes the crown for candy (Sigh) moving on. Then,Patrick realizes that he can do anything he wants too after not paying for krabby patties. After that,Patrick becomes a bigger jerk. He keeps stealing everything from everyone,and even steals a walker from an old man when he is NOT crippled. And even steals pacifiers from babies. What a brain dead moron. Then,Squidward comes in to save the episode. Patrick moves Squidward's house for a ferris wheel,but Squidward gets angry and tells everyone that Patrick is an idiot and he is not a king. I originally hated him for doing that,but he did the right thing. That jerk deserved nothing at all. He even blames everything on Squidward,not him,when he is the jerk of this episode. Patrick finally realizes that he has lost it after he sees himself into the mirror. But it turns out,Gary was the real king despite a cute snail who only says "mow" couldn't even be a king. Overall,this was worse than Driven to Tears. Patrick was a bigger jerk than he was in every single episode. I was glad Squidward stood up to him. Don't even watch this episode,because you know how bad it is. 0\10
    These episodes prove something: Patrick is a idiot. Don't waste your time on these.
  • Too underrated.

Driven To Tears: I loved it. Sure Patrick was being a little jerky and showing off his new car. I loved how Patrick was always giving Spongebob rides and then the katastrophe came with the 3 red lights, the fighting, and the license ripping. I loved it when Patrick actually rubbed his license in Spongebob's face and the loud "horn". Very funny. Final Grade: A! (91%)

Rule of Dumb: Just a little better. I love how Patrick became king and took everybody's stuff. The mirror monster gag was also pretty funny. I just didn't like the ending when Patrick was not royalty after all and Gary became king. Poor Patrick. Final Grade: A! (92%)
  • Driven to Tears was pretty good...Rule of Dumb, not so much.

I liked Driven to Tears, but it wasn't one of my favorite episodes of season 4. It had some funny moments like when the balloons and confetti fell when Patrick was having his picture taken and when he thought he was an orphan. I also liked the conversation he had with Mrs. Puff. It was kind of irritating to me,however, how he kept bragging about being able to drive. So, overall, this was a good episode, I suppose. Now, as for Rule of Dumb, it was one of the few episodes of season 4 that I thought was...not good. Pretty much all this episode consisted of was Patrick stealing stuff from people. I also hated how out of character Patrick acted and what a jerk he was. The only good part was the very end. So, overall, these were decent episodes, but I liked the first one way better than the second. Marebear2009, out!
  • spongebob squarepants

Driven to Tears:
    For the 58th time in a row, SpongeBob has failed his driving test, so Patrick takes the test and passes. But SpongeBob is angry that he did.

Grade: 7/10 B-

Rule of Dumb:
    Patrick's ancestors were adlings, so Patrick is the legal king of Bikini Bottom and now he reigns/misrules Bikini Bottom. This episode is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very ugly. This is the second worst episode ever. Make this one disappear.

Grade: 0.9/10 X
  • "Driven To Tears" was great but not perfect and "Rule of Dumb" was just an okay episode.

Driven To Tears: I thought that this was a great but not perfect episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". I thought it was interesting that Patrick passed the driving test after SpongeBob failed his boating test or the 58th time. I thought it was very funny that Patrick was the 1,000,000th person to pass the driving test and he wins a new boat. I thought it was very funny when Patrick thought that the was an orphan. I also thought it was great how SpongeBob and Patrick were happy to see each other again at the end of the episode. My biggest complaint about this episode was how Patrick just keeps bragging about his new boat and his new drivers' license. Overall, this was a great but not perfect episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 8/10

Rule of Dumb: I thought that this was an okay episode in my opinion. Patrick just seemed to be out of character in this film. I thought it was funny when Patrick thought that the crown is food when he is actually suppose to wear it. I also laughed at the ending when Gary is actually the true royal king. I believe those are the only scenes I laughed at. I just thought that Patrick was a complete jerk to everyone in Bikini Bottom and felt so sorry for them. It was pretty funny when Patrick sees a monster of himself on the mirror and realizes that he has been a complete jerk. Overall, this was an okay episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 6/10
  • Both episodes are bad.

Man,I hated both of these episodes.They were much worst than The Thing and Hocus Pocus.Driven to Tears,oh come on.Patrick had his worst role in this episode.He was being such and idiot to Spongebob and keeps telling him about his license.It was mostly hated of Patrick.Rule of Dumb,it's even worst than Driven to Tears.It was so bad and horrible.Patrick was being such a big fat Jerkface!He stole everything from people and was being mean.And Squidward ruined everything.He should die some day for that.He stole a baby binkie.Oh come on,he's such an idiot for that.And Spongebob was incouraging him for that.This episode was the worst episode ever made and someone should pay for this.Patrick his stupid and an idiot for this episode.Driven to Tears was one of the worst episodes ever of Spongebob and Rule of Dumb was part of the top 10 worst episodes of Spongebob.If you ask me,then don't watch this episode.It's pretty worst than The Great Snail Race or The Sponge Who Could Fly and The Splinter.Never watch an episode like this again.And even though some of the episodes are pretty bad,I don't even care about the creators of this episode was thinking for an episode like this.It's one of the worst episodes yet.Patrick had the worst role in this episode and Spongebob had to do the right thing to Patrick in this episode.
  • O.K.

Driven to tears
    Patrick desides to join boating school and, gets his license. And, gets it. Spongebob gets jeaulous of Pat and, trys to advoid him. But, isn't he his best friend? So, that's why Patrick won't leave him alone. So, Spongebob rips up his license.
    Final Score: B

Rule of dumb
    Patrick discovers he is royalty. So, he also becomes a big jerk. Everyone won't stop obaying him till, Squidward proves that he's not the king of Bikini Bottem. King of Morons . . . Maybe. So, Patrick looks in the mirror and, doiscovers he is a big jerk. Till, he learns that Gary's royalty.
    Final Score: B
  • Great! Patrick becoming king?!?! Pure genius!

This episode was great! Patrick becoming the King of Bikini Bottom is such a great idea! I liked when Patrick thought the guy who gave him the crown was coming for his overdue libary books. It\'s funny how the people of Bikini Bottom give stuff to Patrick, espicially items he has no use for; like the Senior Citizen\'s walker. I loved this episode. Patrick blaming people, like when he blames Squidward for the people of Bikini Bottom not listening to him. Then Patrick realizes how bad he\'s acted and returns the crown, and it turns out that Gary is the real King.
  • "Driven to Tears" was alright, but "Rule of Dumb" was terrible.

4.5
    Another mediocre post-Season 3 SB episode..well, Driven to Tears did have it's moments. The plotline was unoriginal, but a lot of the jokes were good (example: I figured 'E' meant 'end', so I just threw it away). I'd give Driven to Tears a 3/5. For a Season 4 episode, it's a 4/5.

Rule of Dumb was terrible though. There weren't really ANY jokes in that episode. It was just 11 minutes of Patrick stealing things from people. I absolutely hated that one. Any joke was just a typical "patrick is stupid" joke. Not funny...its getting old now...time to move on. Overall i'll give this a 4.5.
  • ''This episode is certainly not good.'' ''Not the way I watch it.''

5.7
    Driven to Tears: This episode is a little overated. Spongebob would never get a license if you got fooled about this episode, but Patrick got a license in an unknown time period. Huh?! He also got a new boat, and Patrick was bragging about driving and about getting his license, but that's not all, even his new boat! Spongebob's character got worse and worse until the 'friendship of love' scene. Just forget it!

Episode Grade: 68.1(D+)

Rule of Dumb: This episode was okay, nothing special. Although, Patrick was harsh at the next minutes. Squidward was pretty harsh in this episode. This episode wasn't funny and entertaining.

Episode Grade: 73.3(C-)

Final Grade: D+
  • Driven to tears was kind of okay, but rule of dumb was retarded

Driven to tears:
    Not very good. It was okay, I guess. Not an awesome episode. 45% below average, 50% average, and 5% above average. This episode was okay. It is in the okay episodes list. Final grade: C-. Rating: 5.5/10

Rule of dumb:
    What is wrong with the creators?! This episode was complete rubbish. The creators are positively mad for creating an episode like this. Patrick becomes a king? What a dumb idea for an episode! Patrick was being an inconsiderate jerk! I would rather eat a bumblebee alive than watch this horrible excuse for an episode. Final grade: F. Rating: 1/10

Total: D-
  • I don't remember much of Driven To Tears, but I remember Rule of Dumb being BAD.

Driven To Tears: I guess it wasn't a bad episode, but I don't remember much of it. It had some laughs, but due to me not remembering it well, I can't give it much of a mark.

Rule of Dumb: Terrible episode. Patrick was a complete jerk. He was so out of character it made me want to scream. Like, I can't even express how much I hated this episode, because of Patrick. Just... ugh. One of the worst of Season 4, by far.

So, yeah. A forgettable episode and a terrible one doesn't exactly merit a good mark. I think I'm being generous giving it a 3.
  • Great I thought.

Driven To Tears was awesome. I felt bad for SpongeBob that Patrick could get a license and he couldn't. I don't think Spongebob will ever get his liscense. Sooo much more convienient for Spongebob that he was the millionth person to get a liscense and won a free boat. Poor SpongeBob. Anyways, for Rule Of Dumb, I liked this one as well. Too bad for Patrick that Gary was the real king in the end, not him. Eh, it was turning him bad anyway. He was a jerk. Just because you're king doesn't mean you can cruelly steal things from people. Well, any ways, I liked these episodes overall.
  • Driven was okay but Rule of Dumb this isn't going well.

Driven to tears:
    The episode was good, Spongebob is always failed the driving test, and Patrick help him passed the driving test for Spongebob. But only Patrick. Spongebob got jealous and crazy to Patrick because of that license.
    Patrick was acting a jerk in that episode. It was quite entertaining. Overall: 8.0

Rule of dumb:
    But not this one, it isn't going well, it gives my rating down by 2 in the "Driven to tears" rating. Like Patrick got afraid of that librarian, like what's this, and he became a king in the king. Patrick was acting such a jerk to people. This wasn't entertaining at all.

Overall: 6.0

------------------------------------------------------
    FINAL RATING: 6.0
  • Good episodes.

IMO Driven to Tears was one of the best of the season and i give it ten out of ten whereas Rule of Dumb i'd give an eight and three quarters out of ten. The first episode is one of my favorite driving school episodes and i like how the characters act in it. In Rule of Dumb theres more unecessary Squidward abuse (i mean seriously do the writers hate him or something? he's a perfectly normal person) and the jokes imo are subpar to Driven to Tears, which was the best of the two imo. Patrick's rule as king is pretty predictable and bland and his learning his lesson cliched and done a million times before. Over all good episodes, but imo the first outranks the second by a mile.
  • Yeah, out of character. Still good!

These two episodes would've gotten a ten if they weren't so out of character. Driven to Tears was much better than Rule of Dumb. I really liked the part when Patrick ate the flash cards. That made me laugh a little. Then, when Patrick thought he was an oprphan, that was funny as well. And when they wore the two wigs, that was funny too. The ending, when SpongeBob came out of prision, was really sweet and touching. And then, when Patrick threw out the car because it was out of gas, yeah. That was so like Patrick. Again, the only thing I didn't like was how out of character Patrick was. He acted like he was so much better than SpongeBob, just because he got his license. Patrick was even more out of character in Rule of Dumb. I didn't really laugh at any parts of these episodes, except when Patrick thought the king was a librarian. But even then, it wasn't too funny. I can't believe what a jerk Patrick was in this episode.
  • cause i've seen it over and over and over again. show someting else

7.6
    it's a funny episode the first 3 times i saw it, i like the way spongebob gets jealous at patrick and he had that little INVU face expression. and patrick abusing his power. but then it got boring. it was to overused on Nick. They need to show more episodes. Why another annoying thing was spy buddies, also overused.. ....... ......... ........... .......... ........ ........ ......... ............ .......................... .................... ........................................... ..................................... ............... ........ .......... .............. .............. ............ .... ............ Your getting sleepy, like when i watched this episode this mornig for a record 27 times ..... ..... .... ....... ....... ..........