SpongeBob SquarePants

Fear of a Krabby Patty / Shell of a Man

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM May 06, 2005 on Nickelodeon

7.8
  • Actually decent, to me

These episodes were decent in my opinion. However, Fear of a Krabby Patty used a plot point already done before in Graveyard Shift. Graveyard Shift already used the "open 24 hours" plot point. But it was still a decent episode.
  • the beginning of the end of spongebob

this episode was ok, along with on or two other decent episodes on season 4, but this is when spongebob started to decline in quality
  • When SpongeBob started to change.

I decided to stop reviewing the spongebob episodes in order and just review them in a random order because reviewing them in order was fun at first, but it got tedious and just decided to not do it anymore.

Fear of a Krabby Patty: I mentioned in my Help Wanted review that I thought SpongeBob was going downhill and looking back at it I regret saying that. Because on my hiatus of reviewing SpongeBob episodes, I watched a handful of season 4,5,6 and 7 episodes and I truly forgot that some of those episodes were actually good. There were some that were bad as I remembered, but most of them were good. I wouldn't say this is when SpongeBob went downhill, but it was when it started to change. When Plankton has the Chum Bucket opened for 23 hours, Mr Krabs decides to have The Krusty Krab opened for 24 hours just so he can stay opened later than Plankton. Plankton takes advantage of the whole thing and orders 10,000 Krabby Patties disguised as Peter Lankton... How obvious. When SpongeBob gets exhausted from making all those patties he becomes scared of them. The whole 24 hours idea makes this episode feel like a weak version of Graveyard Shift and SpongeBob being scared of Krabby Patties was plain stupid. I found the humor in this episode to be hit or miss. The funniest gag was when the bags in Squidward's eyes had bags. I find it surprising that two great writers like Paul Tibbit and CH Greenblatt could write such a mediocre episode. It's not the worst SpongeBob episode, but this was just a weak start for season 4. 5/10

Shell of a Man: I actually didn't think this that bad of an episode. It's not perfect, but it's much better than Fear of a Krabby Patty. When Mr. Krabs molts his shell, he decides to have SpongeBob in his shell and have him act like Mr. Krabs for his reunion with his navy buddies. It was funny when SpongeBob gets sentimental about the Patty he made and when Squidward calls out "Number 5" it turned out then Spongebob ordered it. It was also funny when SpongeBob spits out teeth then coughs up his skull. It isn't without its flaws, though. I thought the ending was too identical to that Fairly OddParents episode where Cosmo pretends he's someone he's not at the high school reunion. It is the better episode of this pairing and if it's playing on TV, I'll wait for Shell of a Man to play. 7/10

Season 4 wasn't a bad season. It is actually the best post-movie season, but there were a few episodes from that season that I just couldn't stand.
  • This episode felt like a season 1 episode

It did
  • Not my favorites but not the worst of the newer Spongebobs

Fear of a Krabby Patty: I like that SpongeBob is still kind of like his old self (Seasons 1-3). He makes some quick jokes about Plankton being small and a shrink and fiber curing you. I love it when Squidward talks about SpongeBob "He is NOT normal". 5.5/10

Shell of a Man: This one isn't too bad but there's nothing truly memorable about it. 5/10

• Spongebob's fall from grace begins with these episodes

2.5
    Like many fans of Spongebob, I believe that the first episodes of Season 4 were the beginning of the end for my favorite Sea Sponge. So lets take a look at these two episodes.

Fear of a Krabby Patty

In this episode the Chum Bucket is open 24 hours a day, and Mr. Krabs retaliates by doing the same thing. Meanwhile Plankton is actually scheming to get the Patty formula again, by destroying the morale of the Krusty Krab employees. Everything goes according to Plankton. The crew is really tired, and Spongebob makes so many Krabby Patties, he sees them everywhere and believes they are evil. There are two main problems with this episode. 1: Why does Mr. Krabs need to keep the Krusty Krab open 24 hours a day? Plankton never gets customers anyway. 2: How can making a lot of Krabby Patties suddenly make you see them and be afraid of them? It's been established that Spongebob loves Krabby Patties. So how is he afraid of them now? Spongebob is then sent to a "rehab clinic" where Plankton waits for him and tries to get the Krabby Patty formula without him knowing. To be fair this is the highlight of this episode. There were some funny moments in this part, and it's a huge relief considering that the rest of the episode wasn't funny at all. In the end, Spongebob is cured and the Krusty Krab stays open for 23 hours a day now. The plot was decent, but what killed it was lack of humor, weird plot points, and Mr. Krabs showing that he is cheaper than usual, and he would be crueler in the later seasons. There were some funny moments, but not enough to make the episode bearable.

FINAL SCORE: 2.0/10

Shell of a Man

Mr. Krabs is going to have a Navy reunion and is ready to show his buddies that he is still, what they called him, Armor Abed Krabs. However Mr. Krabs' shell molts just before the reunion, and Spongebob volunteers to be him by being in his shell. Spongebob does some pretty funny things at the reunion, but not a lot to keep it entertaining. In the end, Mr. Krabs reveals what happened to him, and his Naval buddies show that they are not who they once were. This episode just screamed predictable. Everything in this plot was just bland and there was no tension or suspense since this is a story done many times before. Aside from a few laughs from Spongebob and his antics, this wasn't good at all.

FINAL SCORE: 0.5/10

It's hard to believe that these episodes alone dampened the name of Spongebob, but it would only get worse as the season and later seasons went on. These episodes were the beginning of the fall of Spongebob. Don't waste your time with these episodes, you aren't missing anything.
  • Not bad, Fear of Krabby Patty was WAY better

Fear of a Krabby Patty: Better than the next one according to my title. Funny, LOL. This was good and original. The only thing that complains me is that they thought of Plankton, every thing now is PLANKTON! Overall, good, not bad. 8.5/10

Shell of a Man: It wasn't bad, but not as good as its partner. It isn't that funny, but the only funny parts are his imitations of Mr. Krabs and Spogebob at the naval reunion. Not funny, definitely below average. 5/10

Overall a D
  • Great Season 4 premieres of "SpongeBob SquarePants"

Fear of a Krabby Patty: Okay, okay... we all know that this is where SpongeBob has totally changed after the 2004 film "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" but that doesn't mean it's bad. Okay, for a Season 4 premiere, this episode seemed pretty strange to me and kind of lacked but I thought it was great for the most part. SpongeBob having a phobia of krabby patties after working non-stop was a weird idea. The P. Lankton was obviously Plankton was pretty funny. Plankton being a psychiatrist to get the krabby patty secret formula from SpongeBob was very funny. It was very funny when SpongeBob got the piano and then Plankton says "Hey, where did you get that piano" and SpongeBob smashes Plankton with it. Plankton hypnotizing SpongeBob to fall into a deep sleep was pretty interesting as well. The only thing I brought down my score was that SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs having those baggy eyes was freaking me out, SpongeBob having a freaky phobia of krabby patties, and the ending. Overall, this episode wasn't bad at all and I really liked it. 8.5/10

Shell of a Man: This episode is tied with "Fear of a Krabby Patty", it was great episode but it could have improved much more. Mr. Krabs molting his shell was pretty freaky. When I was younger watching this episode, the hollow shell of Mr. Krabs scared me. Mr. Krabs being a naked and flabby crab was just a little too weird for me. SpongeBob getting inside Mr. Krabs' shell and doing an impression of him was very funny. SpongeBob (who is inside Mr. Krabs' shell) talking to Mr. Krabs' old navy buddies at the Navy Reunion was very funny. Mr. Krabs revealing that he was a naked and flabby crab was very funny and it was hilarious when everyone else revealed their secrets. The thing that made my score a little low was that Mr. Krabs molting his shell was a little too strange for me and I didn't like how SpongeBob coughed out his skeleton body. The ending could have been a little better as well. Overall, this was a great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 8.5/10
  • The start of the post movie era

Fear of a Krabby Patty: Being the first post movie era episode, FoaKP was great. The plot for this episode was strange to see that SpongeBob is scared by the Krabby Patty after 43 days nonstop. My only problem is the episode could have been better and the characters' expression (especially SpongeBob's) are drawn super weird (yet this episode was done by Chowder creator CH Greenblatt). The funny parts were SpongeBob's part at the beginning, the Krusty Krab working nonstop, SpongeBob running away from Mr. Krabs (he believes he's krabby patty), the Peter Lankton part (SpongeBob using piano on Plankton), and that's all. Overall, this episode was great (for an episode being the first premired after the movie). 8.5/10

Shell of a Man: This episode was great, like the last one, but it's not as great as the previous one. The plot, like Fear of a Krabby Patty was weird. Although this was the first time we Mr. Krabs without his shell, that will happen again in "Shell Shocked." He does looks weird without his shell. I didn't laughed that much in this episode than I did in Fear of a Krabby Patty. The parts that I laughed were SpongeBob saying goobye to the Krabby Patty, then ate it (which wasunexpectedthat he was #5), SpongeBob cooking the Krabby Patty (shortly before Krabs got molded), SpongeBob acting as Mr. Krabs, and a couple parts during the Navy reunion. Overall, this episode was great, but a little bit humor than the last one. 8/10

• Death of true Spongebob.

Fear of a Krabby Patty:
    Plankton unleashes a new plan; to get the Krusty Krab to work 24 hours. SpongeBob thinks this is a dream, until he thinks he is being chased by killer Krabby Patties.

Shell of a Man:
    Mr. Krabs is going to a naval reunion, but molts (leaves his shell) before he goes. He asks SpongeBob to go in his shell and imitate him for the reunion.

5 out of 10

• I can't believe how much people hate this episode!

Wow, this episode is underrated. It's one of my favorites. It's full of great jokes, quotes and I love the animation. It starts off where Mr. Krabs finds out that the Chum Bucket is open 23 hours. So Mr. Krabs opens the Krusty krab 24 hours. After 43 days, Squidward is fed up. But Spongebob is still going strong. K-R-A-B-B-Y P-A-T-T-Y says I states Spongebob. Plankton's master plan kicks in later though. Soon Spongebob cracks from being so tired. He see's killer Krabby Patties everywhere. Soon Spongebob goes to therapy with Dr. Peter Lankton. Of course, His plans don't go so well(pianos) but all Spongebob needed was some sleep. This is a great episode because it was the last one written by C H Greenblatt. This episode easily gets an A!

Oh and Shell of a man was okay.
  • LOVE FEAR OF A KRABBY PATTY HATE SHELL OF A MAN

fear of a krabby patty just classic and funny overall i give this episode a 10/10 shell of a man for some reason i dont know why but i ust dont like this episode at all in this episode spongebob wears mr krabs suit which is something i dont like at all plus the pictures mr krabs showed were not really that funny if you ask me i know this episode was one of the first season 4 episodes so i guess i should give it credit for that but come on i still dont really like how spongebob acted in this episode so ill give this one a 2.5
  • Fear of a krabby patty: 0.5/10 (very bad) Shell of a man: 10/10 (awesome!)

Fear of a krabby patty:
    Just plain unrealistic. Why do you people like this episode? It had a ridiculous plot. Spongebob is suddenly scared of krabby patties after he made 10,00 patties. Plankton is tiny! He couldnt eat 3 krabby patties in 1 day! This episode is just plain bad! I didnt laugh one bit! Dont make an episode like this ever again! Final grade:F

Shell of a man:
    Awesome! Just plain awesome! This episode was funny. This is the second time in the series they aired a good episode with a bad one (the first was culture shock/ F.U.N). My favorite part is when spongebob won the award. I really thought they were going to kill spongebob. This was the better episode. Final grade: A

Final grade: A-. Kind of a short review, right?
  • SpongeBob's fall from grace

Fear of a Krabby Patty: This episode was decent but could have been better. SpongeBob works for 24 hours for 43 straight days. Wait. Stop stop stop. 43 straight days?! That could have killed him, but it didn't. Instead he got a terrible fear of krabby patties.

6.5 C

Shell of a Man: This episode was sub-par. Mr. Krabs goes to a naval reunion and molts before going there. Mr. Krabs was very gross when he molted that I wouldn't bother watching this while eating.

5.5 C-

This is also a landmark for SpongeBob's fall from grace. Trust me, episodes before these don't get a single line of 6 for me.
  • fair

fear of a krabby patty- spongebob starts to fear krabby patties, and sees them everywhere. is there a cure for this, and if so, at what price is spongebob willing to go?

shell of a man- naval reunion and Krabs does not look the same? What will his fellow friends think?

Good episodes i guess, both were kind of weak and low on humor and did not have the most interesting plots.. overall i would say both episodes were generally average, and as such, i would give them both a solid "C", not too bad, but not great either, me thinks
  • From a hero cartoon to a zero cartoon, starting here.

I'm not that happy about these episodes because this is where Sponge Bob went to the bottom of the sea in humor, quality, and POPULARITY. The animation got weirder, there aren't as many adult jokes as in the previous 3 seasons, Sponge Bob's voice got more annoying (and sort of scary), his personality made him look like a maniac, creator Steve Hillenburg is just a story board artist, and I can go on and on. This was the beginning of the dark age of Sponge Bob. Like Dexter's Lab, newer animation equals sh***y episodes. I am angry at these episodes, that's all I have to say. Please bring back the old Sponge Bob!!!!!!!!!!
  • The first episode is decent but the second one is terrible.

Fear of a Krabby Patty:Even though this was the first episode produced without Steven Hillenburg,it proved to be good episode. It had some funny moments yet it still isn't as good as the earlier episodes. Shell of a Man: This was the first Spongebob episode that was actually painful to watch. None of the jokes made me laugh,and the humor is entirely different in this episode. Another thing that makes this episode boring is the plot. The plot device of lying at a reunion has been done many times.Spongebob never used to have plots like that. My last complaint is the ending.The ending was not only cheap,but it felt it like a rip-off of the ending of a Fairly OddParents episode that aired three months before this episode. Overall, this episode was a huge disappointment.
  • Complete Idiocy

3.5
    I am mad at hell at the movie and to see the episodes right after the movie increases my disgust. There is something defiantly wrong with spongebob they must had new writers or editors or something the whole feel of the show has just changed completely. The mistakes they made were

1.) they took the stereo types to far
    2.) the episode felt trapped in the Krusty Krab fear of a Krabby patty was a bad idea
    3.) seeing Mr.Krabs with out a shell is really nasty with the veins and all
    4.) the episode lacked a real reason to watch i lost interest half way through the second cartoon and told my sister not to watch because its to painful watching nickelodeon and YTV taking Spongebob through this mess

Well there’s my opinion and if nickelodeon is reading this please please change Spongebob to the good ol days
  • "Fear of a Krabby Patty" wasn't awful, but "Shell of a Man..."

This was the first new Spongebob episode after the movie, and it wasn't the best at all. "Fear of a Krabby Patty" was cute, and parts of it were funny, but nothing made me even feel like laughing, besides Spongebob's "K-R-A-B-B-Y Says I" song. And didn't they also do "24 hours a day" in "Graveyard Shift?"

"Shell of a Man" was predictable and it was almsot identical to the Fairly Oddparents episode with Cosmo's class reunion. Mr. Krabbs naked was rather interesting. But I still knew what was going to happen, and once again, nothing was funny.

FINAL WORD: These new episodes really suck.
  • A clear indication that the show's getting stale...

They already did an episode where they opened the Krusty Krab for 24 hours a day. Although the plot was different, the fact that used the same foundation makes it clear that they're running out of ideas. Also, this, or any of the new episodes, just wasn't that funny. Peace.
  • They already made the Krusty Krab open 24 hours a day.

Fear of A Krabby Patty: This episode was... just too much. What I mean by this is that the plot line was unoriginal, because the writers already made the Krusty Krab open 24 hours a day. That's not all. The image of Sponge Bob looking tired was absolutley gruesome. And SpongeBob acted psycho, and I thought Planktons plot was just too much...it was very stupid. Shell of A Man: This episode was better. The plot was too rushed, however. It was a pretty fast paced episode and Mr. Krabs being all naked looked a little creepy. It wasn't the best plot, because many shows have at least one episode where all the charectars have secrets to share, something to admit...blah, blah, blah. Season 4 is going downhill. And Season 5 was absolutley horrible. The only good episodes in those seasons were probally Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. I also hate the animation. It's too bright, and SpongeBob is very annoying and out of charectar. If you are a big fan of the older episodes of Spongebob or simply babysit a lot (like me) than please avoid Season 5 of Spongebob.

I gave this a 4, most of the credit going to Shell of A Man.
  • And so the Dark Era of Spongebob begins. The Golden Age of CH Greenblatt, Hillenburg, Katz, and company has come to an end. Witness the era of lost glory...

3.8
    Painful to watch. Some of you may have liked these episodes. No problem with me. So why painful? As a Spongebob fan, the day I saw this episode was clearly the beginning of the end. The end of a great series corrupted by the awful new writers who must be sacked immediately.The writers of old are gone and the Spongebob we have known for years is dead. I wish to show some respect to this episode as an SB fan. I am so sad that these were so clearly poorly written. Even if I was a newcomer to the series with no other SB episode to compare it with, no doubt, I wuld have thought them mediocre and what a bad first impression...

The beginning of the end my friends...
  • This is when spongebob started to go downhill from this point.

2.6
    I mean come on! Why would you be afraid of a sandwich??!! And when Mr. Krabs lost his shell, that was just too disgusting for me to watch. He looked like chewed gum! lol.. chewed gum... but anyways, This is when spongebob started to suck and the little kids that are watching this new crap have no idea what a good cartoon is! I mean just look back to the old days where you had Hey Arnold, or Rocket Power or even Tom and Jerry! Not this crap! And who knows, maybe 10 years from now they'll have even worser shows where we're complaining like this again to have even this show on...
  • I liked these two.

Fear of a Krabby Patty was best. It still felt like a season 3 episode. It was a little weird though... Anyways, I think Plankton really out did himself this time. I think that was just cruel forcing SpongeBob to make 10000 Krabby Patties and make him be scared of them and see them everywhere. For Shell Of a Man, interesting plot line and well done. I love the fact that SpongeBob went into Mr. Krabs's body. That was entertaining. I didn't know Mr. Krabs used to be in the navy! That's so cool! Anyways, great season 4 premiere episodes.
  • These episodes were alright. Nothing special but okay.

Fear of a Krabby Patty: This episode was alright. There were some funny parts such as the two times Plankton got crushed by a piano (one of them being a piano of cards). The episode is a little boring but I don't have a lot against it. I think it was just average. Final Grade: C (74%)

Shell of a Man: This was better than Fear of a Krabby Patty. I loved it when Spongebob went to the reunion pretending to be Mr. Krabs. It wasn't one of the best but not one of the worst either. This was a little boring as well but not terrible. Final Grade: C+ (79%)
  • Fear of a Krabby Patty was Great. Shell of a Man Yuck

Fear of a Krabby Patty was great.I liked the part where Spongebob found a piano out of nowhere and smashed Plankton LOL and Spongebob acting weird LOL A+. Shell of a Man. Man Was This Episode Nasty Or What. Seeing Mr.Krabs Naked Was Nasty He Looked Liked Chowed Gum. This Episode Was Not Funny I Mean I Did Not Laugh At All Especially The Jellyfish Fields Joke And When The Shell Will Grow Back Joke. The Plot Was Stupid And The Worst Part Was The Ending Was A Rip Off. Mr Krabs Looked Creepy Naked. Spongebobs Voice Of Mr.Krabs Sounded Stupid. Spongebob Looked Stupid As Mr.Krabs D+. My Advice Watch Fear Of A Krabby Patty Not Shell Of A Man.
  • Good episodes.

In Fear of a Krabby Patty Mr Krabs opens his restaurant from 6 am to 11 pm in order to generate more profit, a decision which adversely affects Squidward but which Spongebob takes to well. Then, after noticing that Plankton has opened his restaurant for 23 hours he makes the decision to open his restaurant for 24 hours. This leads to Spongebob going insane, which Plankton uses as part of an evil scheme to get the secret formula. In Shell of a Man Mr Krabs has a reunion with some old navy buddies, all with tough macho reputations, and is afraid when he loses his shell moulting, so Spongebob goes in his place.

Both are good episodes imo and classics.
  • One was good, the other, eh...

Ah, Fear of a Krabby Patty, the infamous beginning of Spongebob's downfall, the start of a downhill fall of a once fantastic cartoon...blah, blah, blah. I actually don't see why so many people dislike this episode. It's one of my favorites of season 4. I liked how Spongebob arranged all his cards into a piano and how Old Man Jenkins was randomly floating around with the island in the background saying "Hey what's going on here! WHOA!" LOL! This is one of those times when randomness if funny to me. Shell of a man was not that good. It didn't have a lot of humor in it and it was kind of gross to see Mr. Krabs without his shell. Overall I give these episodes a score of 7/10. Fair enough? I say so. Bye now!
  • And so it begins...

Ah yes. Episode 1 Season 4. The so-called "dark age" of SpongeBob begins. The shows goes from being the most beloved cartoon of our time to almost having as many haters as fans. Truely we must take a moment to remember these times. Because it's know gotten to a point that people aren't even giving the show a fair chance. In my mind SpongeBob has decreased a bit in quality, but is still an excellent show. But is this the decreasing point? Read to find out.

Fear of a Krabby Patty: A good episode. This episode, however, didn't really use the classic SpongeBob humor. Instead the jokes are making refrences to cell phones and, ugh, fiber. Sure you laugh when it first happens, but a few seconds later you realise that it was actually stupid. Still, an entertaining episode.

Score: 8.5/10 Shell of a Man: Quite boring. It did have it's moments, but all in all nothing to memorable. I have no hate towards this episode, but also very small amounts like.

Score: 6.5/10

Take this review for what it is. Your opinions are your own.
  • FoaKK is awesome, but so underrated. SoaM is ok.

NOTE: Most of this rating goes for Fear of a Krabby Patty.

Fear of a Krabby Patty: You have to be crazy to think this episode isn't funny!… and unfortunately there are a couple crazies around there, because this episode is so underrated. I mean, first of all, the plot is very original, who would have thought that SpongeBob was going to develop a phobia towards Krabby Patties? The thing that he loves the most! And Plankton parodying the famous psychologist Simon Freud, something some people may not know, was just perfect "where did you get that Piano?" lol,. All I can say is that this is one of the best of this season. Overall Rating: A+

Shell of a Man: Ok, this one wasn't all that good. But it's not too bad either, but it's partner wins hands down. SpongeBob inside Mr. Krabs' shell looked pretty funny, and once again Tom Kenny showed his magnificent voice acting talent doing his SpongeBob-as-Krabs voice. Nice job. But overall, meh, episode is ok. B
< 1 2