TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

SpongeBob SquarePants Forums

Weekdays 5:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

Why did Stephen Hillenburg leave the show?

  • Avatar of jww047

    jww047

    [1]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,775
    Why did he leave the show after the movie instead of sticking around?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [2]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    I don't know- but his marine biology in the 90's started Spongebob so I don't get how he wouldn't stay around.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of typogirl

    typogirl

    [3]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/12/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,198
    I'm very upset to hear this news. I'm also upset that Nick decided to get new writers as well, who are MASACERING Spongebob into terrible, stinking episodes with none of the old flair it use to have. I would so fire those writers and bring back the talented ones who can make it funny and stupid at the same time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of typogirl

    typogirl

    [5]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/12/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,198
    Thank God, I thought I was the only one who thought this.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [6]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    I don't think the episodes SUCKED, I just think that the old ones are better. It's like Rugrats. The old episodes were better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BILLY-ELI

    BILLY-ELI

    [7]Jun 5, 2008
    • member since: 02/10/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,245
    typogirl wrote:
    I'm very upset to hear this news. I'm also upset that Nick decided to get new writers as well, who are MASACERING Spongebob into terrible, stinking episodes with none of the old flair it use to have. I would so fire those writers and bring back the talented ones who can make it funny and stupid at the same time.


    OMG!! I did NOT know that he left!! no wonder the new episodes are so bad!! this kinda reminds me of ren and stimpy, as soon as games took over the episodes sucked as well--
    i was wondering what happened to spongebob since the old epis were so awesome and the newer ones.....well, u know....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [8]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    Stephen Hillenburg still makes hidden contributions to the show, and he played the ukelele in the song "Best Day Ever".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SpongeSebastian

    SpongeSebastian

    [9]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 10,634
    I thought those rumors of Steve leaving were not true since he's still credited as "executive producer". But still, what happened to him? We haven't heard from him since the movie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [10]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    He hasn't left the show. He just isn't in charge anymore.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jww047

    jww047

    [11]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,775
    He has left the show. He left a while ago. Why would they take him out of being in charge after the show's huge success? He created the show and he was the main producer and I don't think anyone had authority to put him out of being in charge and I don't think he would do that voluntarily, so obviously he quit. If he was still there, the episodes would not be this bad and he would have spoken out by now and said something.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of turtle4apple

    turtle4apple

    [12]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 03/17/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,602
    Who's in charge now?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [13]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574

    turtle4apple wrote:
    Who's in charge now?

    Derek Drymon

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blpietsch

    blpietsch

    [14]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 05/27/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 266

    Okay, I was good with Season 5 for a while, but after seeing how horrible some of 6 is, I have one thing to say:

    BRING

    BACK

    STEPHEN

    NOW

    I absolutely cannot stand this new Spongebob anymore. I cannot STAND the incredibly lame and gross humor, horrible songs every 3 minutes, crap-comparable plots, and how awful the character's personality's have gotten anymore.

    I cannot STAND how Nick makes a HUGE deal out of specials only to spend more time advertising it then actually MAKING it anymore.

    I cannot STAND how the episodes are so rushed and fast-paced anymore.

    And most importantly, I cannot STAND Derek running the show anymore.

    Season 5 was okay, but this season is beyond horrible and absolutely lazy, even for a show as creative as Spongebob.

    Nick, for the love of all that is good, holy, and preacious in the world, BRING STEVEN BACK!!!!

    Edited on 06/08/2008 12:16pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [15]Jun 9, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    Derek did writing in seasons 1-3 too. I think it's that everyone here has gotten older and Spongebob is aimed for kids at 6-13.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jww047

    jww047

    [16]Jun 9, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,775
    Derek helped write the episodes in seasons one through three. Look on the episode list and it shows you the writers such as Aaron Springer, Steven Hillenburg, Mr. Lawrence, Peter Burns, and others. Now they have crap writers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SpongeSebastian

    SpongeSebastian

    [17]Jun 9, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 10,634
    jww047 wrote:
    Derek helped write the episodes in seasons one through three. Look on the episode list and it shows you the writers such as Aaron Springer, Steven Hillenburg, Mr. Lawrence, Peter Burns, and others. Now they have crap writers.
    Derek Drymon was also the creative director.

    Whether these rumors are true or not, I feel that something must've happened with Stephen Hillenburg because the show keeps falling apart. Worst of all, Nick keeps renewing episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [18]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    SpongeSebastian wrote:
    jww047 wrote:
    Derek helped write the episodes in seasons one through three. Look on the episode list and it shows you the writers such as Aaron Springer, Steven Hillenburg, Mr. Lawrence, Peter Burns, and others. Now they have crap writers.
    Derek Drymon was also the creative director.

    Whether these rumors are true or not, I feel that something must've happened with Stephen Hillenburg because the show keeps falling apart. Worst of all, Nick keeps renewing episodes.


    As I said before, I think it's that Spongebob fans are growing older and appeal is going down with you guys.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jww047

    jww047

    [19]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,775
    No, the episodes are just really bad. I watch the old episodes and I like them. Then I watch the new episodes and I don't like them. It's not about growing older, if you think that, then you are crazy. When Stephen was there, it was good, otherwise it sucks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-Dude

    DC-Dude

    [20]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 01/13/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,358
    jww047 wrote:
    No, the episodes are just really bad. I watch the old episodes and I like them. Then I watch the new episodes and I don't like them. It's not about growing older, if you think that, then you are crazy. When Stephen was there, it was good, otherwise it sucks.


    You know, I kinda like the new episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.