SpongeBob SquarePants

Jellyfishing / Plankton!

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Jul 31, 1999 on Nickelodeon

• The first episode to introduce Plankton

Aired today.
  • This is the Plankton I knew and loved!

Plankton: I absolutely loved Plankton's introduction episode. I liked when he chased SpongeBob's brain and yelled something along the lines of, "Get back here, you swine!" And then he tapes it down and says: Yes, yes, that's grand.

I find that funny to this day. This was back when Plankton truly was cool and "went to college". lol I miss the old Plankton. I give this clever and funny episode a 9/10.

Jellyfishing: This episode is quite funny. I love Patrick in this one: FIRMLY GRASP IT! and "Yep, he's still mad". The song they sing while Jellyfishing is loveable as well. This one is an easy 8.5/10.
  • Both of these were funny episodes that introduced two things that became a part of the show.

Jellyfishing: While this episode may have not introduced jellyfishing, it still made it become a part of the show. When SpongeBob asks Squidward if he would like to go jellyfishing with him and Patrick, Squidward acts sarcastic and says he will join them next time. Then Squidward gets in a bicycle accident caused by a jellyfish. When he comes home, SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward goes jellyfishing for his best day ever. My favorite parts were SpongeBob and Patrick singing their version of Blue Danube and when Spongebob says to Squidward "You're not still mad are you?" and when Squidward opens the jar the jellyfish is in Patrick says "Yep, he's still Overall great episode. 9/10

Plankton!: I think this one is better. This was pretty good for Plankton's first episode. The plot is where Plankton wants SpongeBob to steal the Krabby Patty forumula, but he refuses. Then he controls his brain so he can steal the patty formula. I thought it was funny when Squidward said to SpongeBob "Le quit fooling around. Where's my Krabby Patty?" and when Plankton says "Gee, and I thought you were when SpongeBob finds out his plan. 10/10
  • 3rd Episode

7.4
    Jellyfishing: Spongebob and Patrick wants Squidward to go jellyfishing but Squidward dosn't want to then he decided to go jellyfishing just to have fun. But then Squidward has a bad day going jellyfishing because he get's stinged every time. Poor Squidward.

Plankton!: In this episode Plankton is trying to steal Krab's secret formula for years then he thinks he'll succeed by taking over Spongebob's brain and uses it to steal a krabby patty. But then his plan failed. Again.
  • Both were pretty good episodes. :)

Jellyfishing:

Out of the two, I thought that this one was better, simply because there was more humor. The parts I loved were the part at the beginning, Squidward's falling down the cliff, when Spongebob and Patrick were on the phone, the part with the soup, Spongebob playing Squidward's clarinet, "FIRMLY GRASP IT!", and the two parts with the queen jellyfish at the end. :)

A+, loved this episode!

Plankton!:

This episode was also very good. The parts that I liked were Spongebob with the Krabby Patty at the beginning, Plankton with the ABC song, having to switch it, Plankton talking to Squidward, Plankton throwing Patrick back at his rock, and "1% evil, 99% hot gas." :p

A, liked this episode very much.
  • Plankton was better than Jellyfishing

Here is my review for these 2 episodes. One was an introduction to Jellyfishing, and the other was an introduction to an important character in the show, Plankton. Personally, I think the episode Plankton was a bit better than Jellyfishing and here's why.

Jellyfishing: The reason I think this episode is just okay is because most of this episode is kinda boaring. The only entertaining part was when they were giving Squidward his best day ever. That part was a little funny but other than that, it was boaring. I'm not saying I hate this episode, I'm just saying that it could've been better. When they give this episode on re-runs, I won't mind sitting down and watching this episode, I just feel that this is one of those episodes from season 1 that wasn't amazing. Overall, this episode was OKAY, so for me, it deserves a 6.5 out of 10.

Plankton: This one was obiously the best out of the two. This was a nice, enjoyable, and laughable introduction especially the part when Plankton was trying to put evil music but instead, he put the A B C song. That was hilarious. It was smart for Plankton to use mind control on SpongeBob. He must be really smart! The plot was brilliant and the jokes were descent enough to make me laugh a bit. Maybe not the best season 1 episode but it isn't the worst either. I really enjoy this episode so I give this an 8.5 out of 10. Great episode!

Overall, I give these two episodes a 7.5 out of 10. Pretty good.
  • SB and Patrick takes Squidward jellyfidhing and Plankton goes to SB's brain

Jellyfishing-Parts I liked/laughed: SpongeBob and Patrick racing to get the jellyfish, Squidward getting a bike accident, Patrick blowing the soup, SpongeBob playing the clarniet, Patrick trying to let Squidward hold the net, Squidward being chased, and the last part. Parts that made my score lower: There were a couple boring parts. Overall score: 9.5/10 Superb

Plankton: I liked/laughed: SpongeBob with a French accent, Plankton being throwed, SpongeBob continued laughing, Plankton talking to SpongeBob, Plankton playing the wrong song, Plankton going on SpongeBob's brain, Plankton making fun of Squidward,SpongeBob crashing at Patrick's house/Krusty Krab, dog on screen, SpongeBob explaining the Krabby Patty, Plankton's info, and the last part. Over all score is 10/10 Perfect

• Both were really good but "Plankton!" was a little better

Jellyfishing

Good: Squidward getting owned by the jellyfish, when squidward falls off the cliff and explodes

Bad: Nothing too bad about this one.

10/10

Plankton

Good: The ABC song on Plankton's record player, when Plankton enters spongebob's brain, the labatory, the ending

Bad: Nothing

10/10

FINAL SCORE IS 10/10

• Both pretty good, but Plankton! is much better.

These episodes both introduce important things to the series. Although, I think Plankton! is much better than Jellyfishing, plotwise and humorwise.

Jellyfishing: When Squidward ends up getting stung by a jellyfish, he has to wear a full body cast and use a wheelchair. Spongebob and Patrick decide to make it up to him, by throwing his Best Day Ever!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a few funny parts, like when Spongebob tries to feed Squidward soup, or the "Firmly Grasp it!" scene. Overall Grade: 78%/C+

Plankton!: This episode is much funnier and much better than Jellyfishing. Plankton goes inside Spongebob's brain to the get the Krabby Patty formula.

I love The Letters of the Alphabet song, Plankton's lab, and labratory, and of course this scene

Spongebob: Shut your mouth, you mediocre clarinet player.

Squidward:Mediocre?

OverallGrade/94%/A-
  • In my opinion, "Plankton" was a little better than "Jellyfishing"

Jellyfishing: I thought that this was a great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". While it wasn't my favorite episode... it was overall great. I did feel sorry for Squidward in this episode because SpongeBob and Patrick were hurting him too much but it was hilarious. It was funny when Squidward fell off the cliff after the jellyfish stung him. It was very funny when Squidward came home with a cast all around him and a wheelchair. Patrick blowing the soup for Squidward and then the soup would get in Squidward's face was very funny. It was funny when Squidward tried to catch the giant jellyfish and then the ending was funny when the giant jellyfish stung Squidward and the cast breaks and then Squidward responds "uh-oh". The thing that made my score low was that SpongeBob and Patrick were a tad annoying and SpongeBob trying to make his lips wet to play Squidward's clarinet was kind of a time-filler. Overall, a great episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 8.5/10

Plankton: I thought that this was a little better than "Jellyfishing" but could have been just a little better. This episode marks the introduction of Sheldon Plankton and I liked his introduction. It was funny when SpongeBob was laughing non-stop and then Mr. Krabs says "Okay lad, it wasn't that funny" and then Mr. Krabs yells "Get back to work". Plankton controlling SpongeBob was pretty funny. It was hilarious when Plankton accidentally played the ABC song on the record. It was funny when Plankton who is voicing SpongeBob called Squidward a mediocre clarinet player. The laboratory scene was funny and it was great to see Plankton's lab for the first time in this episode. It was funny when Plankton got out of SpongeBob and fell into that thing that reads the ingredients and then it says that Plankton was 1% evil and 99% hot gas. Overall, one or two scenes could have been a little better but this episode was a little more fun to watch than "Jellyfishing". 9/10
  • Jellyfishing was bad while Plankton! made the rating up.

Jellyfishing:
    SpongeBob and Patrick want to include Squidward in their jellyfishing fun, but Squid brushes them off only to be stung by a jellyfish while riding his bike! After Squidward returns from the hospital, SpongeBob and Patrick want to give him his best day ever which includes... jellyfishing! Squidward finds the jellyfish that stung him and goes to seek his revenge, but he ends up with a little more than he bargained for when he meets the jellyfish's mother! This episode should be called "Squidward Abuse" or "Too Much Abuse"!

4.5/10

Plankton!:
    It's mass chaos at the Krusty Krab when the evil Plankton tries to steal the precious Krabby Patty for his own restaurant, the Chum Bucket. Luckily, he's plan fails, but Plankton is not about to give up. Using his elaborate and college-educated plan, he takes control of SpongeBob's brain forcing Spongebob to bring a Krabby Patty to his restaurant. Will SpongeBob be able to resist Plankton and save the secret recipe?

7.6/10
  • One episode was fantastic! The other was completely horrible.

Jellyfishing: Squidward advantage throughout, do I need to say more?
    GRADE: F

Plankton!: Hilarious! SpongeBob meets Plankton, who attempts to steal the secret Krabby Patty formula. When Plankton fails, he attempts to bribe SpongeBob into getting the formula. When doing so, he gives SpongeBob a golden spatula and tells him his birthday is tomorrow and he wants a Krabby Patty. When SpongeBob realizes the bribe, he says he'll never get the formula and goes back home for sleep. Now this is when the episode gets hilarious, Plankton has a diaboligal plan he's worked on since college (funny) and starts to get SpongeBob to crash through the houses of Squidward and Patrick, what's funny is how Squidward fainted. SpongeBob then gets a Krabby Patty from the Krusty Krab when he's forced to put it in an identifier (actually Karen), I laughed at the seaweed identification, but what I don't like about this part is that SpongeBob reveals the secret formula in front of Plankton, but he's still trying to get it in future episodes. The ending was funny, Plankton is put into Karen and is revealed to be 1% evil, 99% hot gas. LOL! Well, like in the comics, evil never wins.
    GRADE: B+

FINAL GRADE: C
  • Jellyfishing was meh, Plankton was maximus awesomeness.

OK, episode number three, let's begin:

Jellyfishing: The first true Squidward sabatoge. It had some decent moments, but this is one I'd take of the DVR. But it did introduce jellyfish, so it has it's place in history.

Plankton!: Incredible episode. This episode might not have Patrick in it (which for most early episodes is it suicide wish) but this episode still manages to be shockingly incredible! Plankton's performance in this episode might be one of the top ten in SpongeBob history. The first 10 SpongeBob episode. Incredible introduction to and incredible character!

Episode 1 is watchable, episode 2 is impossible NOT TO WATCH.
  • I liked plankton! But I hated jellyfishing.

Jellyfishing:
    Not that great at all. I did not like it because there was squidward advantage throughout this entire episode. This was a painful to watch episode that I pass on seeing. Every time that squidward got hurt, I had to shield my eyes. So I barely got to see any of the episode. I still dont like it at all. Final grade: F

Plankton!:
    I liked this one. After switching off the television set while jellyfishing is on, I can watch some real humor. This was a fantastic episode I want you guys to watch. That is all I have to say about "plankton!". Final grade: A-

Final grade:C+
  • Plankton was fantastic,but Jellyfishing has extreme Squidward torture,which I hate.

Jellyfishing:
    I thought this is gonna be great episode,but when I saw Squidward getting tortured every minute,my eyes went darker.He falls off the cliff,gets stung by little jellyfish,gets stung by queen jellyfish,even the soup owned him!SB and Patrick acted very retarded in this episode,this is one of rare episodes where they actually were idiots,not just by Squidward's talking.But for one evil thing there's a good one.That's Blue Danube song,which unfortunately didn't make me drop the score.
    4/10

Plankton:
    I liked this one. I liked it very much.It's also first SB episode that made me laugh(the gramophone parts).The line ˝I went to college!˝ is legendary.This episode was a classic.
    8/10
  • These are both great episodes, even if Plankton! was better.

Jellyfishing:A good episode. I know it has a lot of Squid sabotage, but that didn't ruin the episode for me! There were still a lot of funny parts, and I also liked how Spongebob and Patrick were in character. They brought most of the laughs in this episode. Overall,this was a good episode. Plankton!: This was an even better episode. It features the debut of Plankton. It had a lot of good gags,like Plankton putting an ABC record in his player and Plankton through Spongebob calling Squidward a mediocre clarinet player. I thought those parts were hilarious. The story was well written too,and it doesn't involve Mr.Krabs much like most Plankton episodes. This is an excellent Season 1. Overall, this is an awesome pairing in the first season.
  • Great

Jellyfishing- Spongebob and Patrick attempt to teach an injured Squidward how to Jellyfish. There were some memorable scenes like the "Firmly grasp it" scene, although for the most part, it was just a decent episode. 8/10 B-

Plankton- Spongebob learns about Mr. Krabs' arch enemy, Plankton, who attempts to steal the Krabby Patty formula. Plankton and Spongebob try to be friends, but later Plankton takes over Spongebob's body and steal the formula. Very funny episode, one of the best of season 9/10 A-

Overall, 2 great episodes here, with "Plankton" being a superb addition to season 1, these episodes are well worth watching. 8.5/10 B+
  • great

jellyfishing- patrick and spongebob go fellyfishing, and they are dumb and think squiddy wants to go... i think he'd rather stay home than do that, especially with all the pain he gets.

plankton!- plankton goes inside Spongebob's brain to control him to steal a krabby patty. Will Plankton get the recipe or will Spongebob break free?

Good episodes but not really great... they were both OK. Plankton was better, but it itself was not that good... I'd say overall both of these would get low B's... they're above average but they are not really ones i would rush to see again
  • Jellyfishing/Plankton! is where the series starts to get better but still inferior compared to Season 2.

Jellyfishing/Plankton! is much better than the previous two episodes. This is the first good episode of the series.

Jellyfishing
    SpongeBob and Patrick go jellyfishing. Squidward goes on his bike and gets stung by one. SpongeBob and Patrick try to cheer him up by getting Squidward to come jellyfishing with them.

Plankton!
    SpongeBob finds out about Mr. Krabs' rival Plankton. Plankton wants to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula and uses a control device to make SpongeBob bring a Krabby Patty to the Chum Bucket and put it in his analyzer (Seaweed = 50% sea, 50% weed; Plankton = 1% evil, 99% hot gas). Also, Mr. Krabs and Gary are back.

The creators finally got it right!
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show spongebob spongebob and patrick are goingjelling fishing and spongbob wants squidworth to come too but he ends up in the hospital and they want to give him the best day ever but he gets stung by a even worser thing the mother of the jelly fish. and the second part planton wants to steal the crabby patty formual and he fails but he take spongebob brain and it does not work this was a good ep ithoguth and it had alot of funny ness to it i thought. and that is why i gave it a 8.5
  • One of my favorites!

This episode is one of my many favorite episodes! I love the plot!

Jellyfishing- Spongebob and Patrick want Squidward to go jellyfishing with them, but Squidward refuses. When he goes on his bike, he swollows a jellfish and when he spits it out, it stings him and Squidward loses control of his bike, crashing. While recovering, Spongebob and Patrick make Squidward's day by trying to make it his best day ever. When that doesn't work, they take Squidward out jellyfishing. The funniest part of this episode, is when Squidward is in his wheelchair and he finally had caught up to the small jellyfish, which was attached to its mother. Squidward constantly hitting the net against the mother jellyfish caused her to get ticked off and attack Squidward. After a few back and forths, from off-camera, Squidward is zapped by the mother jellyfish. It made me laugh out loud. Final: 10/10

Plankton!: Plankton is Mr. Krab's worst enemy. He tries to steal the Krabby Patty formula. As his new evil plot, he plants a mind control machine inside of Spongebob's brain and takes control of him. Plankton forces Spongebob to take a Krabby Patty and forces him to walk to his lab to analyze the patty and steal the recipe. When Spongebob's heartfelt speech makes Plankton jump out of Spongebob's head, he lands in the analyzer instead. Spongebob walks off happily with the patty while the episode ends. These are my favorite episodes because they are filled with humor and creative plots. Final: 10/10
  • Big player episodes-that will payoff in later episodes. (That doesn't mean that I have to like them!!!)

Jellyfishing
    Cool montage at the start and it sets up a concept that's used in many future episodes.
    Now I'm not usually one to complain about "Squidward Abuse",but this just goes way to far!!!
    I mean come on !,the whole episode was just a way to see how many times they could put Squidward through a near death experience!!!.

Plankton!
    I have one small gripe against this,why is Plankton so small?
    I love it how Plankton is such a useless villain and yet he's so evil!!!
    Though "Friend or foe" kind of ruins some so the rivalry that Mr.Krads and Plankton have...or had.
    Still good and it's the first real villain that Spongebob has faced and Mr Lawrence does such a great job too!!!.
  • Great "series themes" introductions, but Plankton! pwns Jellyfishing any day.

Jellyfishing: I think this is the kind of episode that everyone would hate if it was a post-movie episode. It started pretty good, on fact, that scene of SpongeBob and Patrick getting ready to go jellyfishing may be one of the best scenes on season 1, but...eh, the rest of the episode was pretty boring, along with unfunny Squidward abuse, mostly. k, those are the cons, as for the pros, I like that they actually thought of making an episode to introduce an aspect of the show that we were going to see all throughout it. A funny scene is when Sponge and Pat are humming this classical song while jellyfishing, pretty funny The ending, eh, makes me snicker rather than actually laugh. Overall, not one of my faves, but still considered a classic for being eppie #3 and all, final grade: B

Plankton!: Now here's one that deserves the "classic" title better than it's partner. I love the introduction to one of the best characters, Plankton! mwahaha *puts out recorder and "ABC" song plays* woops! xP Some really clever jokes, like the one I just pointed out. Also love "a booster seat? HOT DOG!" lol. Plankton was definitely the best in this episode, but SpongeBob was really funny too, like on the beginning with the way he's making the patties, or when he says "I guess I'm not wearing any pants today" and then you combine both SpongeBob and Plankton (a.k.a. Plankton inside SpongeBob) and you get some of the eppie's best parts, like them calling Squid a mediocre clarinet player, lol. Overall, really great episode and a perfect way to introduce Plankton. Final grade: A-
  • Spongebob and Patrick take Squidward jellyfishing, who gets practically paralyzed, and the two want to make him better somehow; Plankton tries to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula by taking over Spongebob's brain.

All I can say is that "Plankton!" was better than "Jellyfishing". There's like two or three jellyfishing episode and the only good one is the one where Spongebob introduces the Jellyfish Jelly Krabby Patty. Plankton! was just ok, but it was better than Jellyfishing. In Jellyfishing, Spongebob and Patrick drag Squidward into jellyfishing, who gets hurt really bad - so bad he is put in a wheelchair, and can't speak..for himself, so Spongebob and Patrick try to make him feel better by giving him the best day of his life. Which is only worse. In the first place, who wants to go jellyfishing? Is that supposed to be like butterfly catching? I can't find the joy in that, sorry.

In Plankton!, Plankton sneaks into Spongebob's house when he is sleeping; not just his house, but his body. Interesting. He takes over his brain, directs him to the Krusty Krab where he steals a Krabby Patty, and directs him back to Plankton's cruddy restaurant, the Chum Bucket. He makes plans to put the Krabby Patty in a machine that tells the ingredients of anything. But he messes up big time, when he gets distracted by the Krabby Patty, falls out Spongebob, bounces off the Krabby Patty, and into the machine. Spongebob chows down the Krabby Patty in happiness, and walks away.

Just reading the review can convince you which episode was better.
  • An excellent batch of episodes!

Wow, haven't done a review here since January! Well, onto the review.

Once again we are delivered another great set of episodes. Both of them are classics in my opinion. JELLYFISHING

Story 9 This episode was hilarious! Even though it was the first episode to feature 'Squidward abuse', I still think it's funny and it isn't as over the top as it is in later episodes. And one line alone made this episode pure gold: "FIRMLY GRASP IT!" That never gets old.

Animation 7 Since this episode was from the first season, the animation doesn't look quite as crisp and clear as it does in the later seasons.

Sound 9

Once again, great voice acting, music and SFX, like most of the episodes of SB.

Character 10

The characters were well done once again. SpongeBob and Patrick's attempts to get Squidward to jellyfish with them is just hysterical and it was very well done how they interacted with each other.

Enjoyment 10

Excellent episode! It kept me laughing the whole way through and I througohly enjoyed it.

Overall 9 A

This episode gets an A, because it was so well done and the jokes were hilarious! This is one of my favorite episodes from Season 1!

PLANKTON

Story 9

Another great episode! We're introduced to Mr. Krabs' rival Plankton and his plan to take the Krabby Patty recipie. There were so many funny lines in this episode such as:

SpongeBob (Controlled by Plankton): Shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player!"
    Squidward: "...Mediocre?" Plankton: "THIS... Is my lab!"

*Dog appears on screen*

Plankton: "And THIS... Is my labrotory!"

Karen (Computer): "Plankton: 1% Evil, 99% Hot Gas."

Classic.

Animation 7

Pretty much what I've already stated in my "Jellyfishing" review.

Sound 9

Just like with the other episodes, great voice acting, music, etc....

Character 10

Great character interactions here, possibly even better than in "Jellyfishing". Enjoyment 10

Another episode that I enjoyed, possibly even more than "Jellyfishing", but they're both great episodes.

Overall 9 A

I give this episode an A as well, since it also had some great scenes and dialouge. It also had me laughing the whole time. Final Grade 9 A

Both of these episodes were great! They both had some pretty classic and memorable lines from the series, so overall my final grade is an A.
  • Pretty good.

These episodes were pretty good, but not the best, definitely. I have definitely seen worse episodes in SpongeBob SquarePants though. Another thing is for sure: I have seen LOADS of better episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Jellyfishing:

Entertaining. The introduction of Squidward's karma, which is also a big laugh for me, but some call it Squidward abuse, oh well. Either way, whether it is karma or Squidward abuse, it still never fails to crack me up. That's right! It cracks me up! Every. Single. Time.

Plankton!:

The introduction of Plankton, and it definitely does this very interesting character justice. I didn't like it very much, but I still liked it.

Favorite: Jellyfishing
  • I didn't really like Jellyfishing, but Plankton! more than made up for it.

Jellyfishing: It had the hilarious "firmly grasp" part, but besides that, this episode failed to make me laugh. The Squidward abuse was quite pointless, and the rest of the jokes just weren't up to snuff. Still, "firmly grasp" saved it from being mediocre, and is pure classic.

Score: C- 7.0/10

Plankton!: The (second) best of season 1! Simply marvelous. It had so many funny parts, such as:

"Booster seat, hot dog! I mean..no."
    "This is my lab. *shows a Labrador Retriever* And this is my Laboratory!"
    "*Instead of playing villainous music, it plays* Everyone knows them, A,B,C!"
    "Shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player"

And so many more I can't even think of right now. Plus the plot was epic, and one of Plnakton's more villainous appearances. One of the all-time greats.

Score: A+ 9.6/10
  • Both wre great, Jellyfish! was better.

Jellyfishing:

This was a great episode.

Plankton!:

This was a little worse.
  • perfect!

i have a feeling that jelly fishing is worse than plankton but jelly fishing was a classic so was plankton it was silly\

jelly fishing:
    nice but it can do a lot better if i was him squid ward i would cry. boohoo

plankton!: awesome episode i love the part where plankton goes inside sponge bob brain it make me laugh

laugh out loud it was a silly thing i have seen a sponge bob episode of my life! it is silly now i am almost done with this you know posting thing i will be done in a second i am done goodbye
  • Both episodes are very good. Plankton! was better, but Jellyfishing was also a classic.

I liked this episode. Let's brake itdown.

Jellyfishing: A

This episode really helped the show of Spongebob. There were some Squidward advantage parts, but it is still very good. So basically, Spongebob and Patrick take Squidward jellyfishing, but he gets stung by a queen jellyfish. It does have, like I stated before, some Squidward advantage, but that's the only bad part.

Plankton!: A+

Here we see the first A+ (in my opinion) episode of Spongebob. Spongebob meets Plankton, but Plankton tries to steal the formula by befriending Spongebob. Spongebob sees through his trick, but Plankton then tries to control Spongebob's brain to get it. Of course his plan fails, and Plankton doesn't get the formula.

Total: A+

This is a very good episode of Spongebob. I liked it at lot, especially Plankton!.
< 1 2 3