SpongeBob SquarePants

Karen 2.0

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Apr 13, 2012 on Nickelodeon

• Well, not a terrible episode, but...

Summary: Plankton creates a newer, more sophisticated robot to replace Karen; in response, she goes to work at the Krusty Krab.

While this episode isn't a complete abomination like some of the other newer SpongeBob episodes, I still can't help but have a problem with it. Basically, I don't like "Karen 2.0" for the same reason I don't completely like "Enemy-In-Law": in my opinion, this episode promotes infidelity.

I mean, think about it: Karen is supposed to be Plankton's wife. Sure, they're not the most stable "couple" around, but the fact that she's referred to as Plankton's "computer wife" still means that more likely than not, they're married. And now, twice has Plankton just thrown Karen aside for another (often more attractive) woman. Seriously, the only thing separating the plot of this episode with the story of Betty Broderick (look her up) is that Karen only kills the new "girlfriend," but not her husband.

Also, did we really need to hear Karen calling the new robot a "hussy?" Granted, compared to other things, it's probably tame, but do you really want your kids saying that word?

And just when the whole situation couldn't get any more infuriating, at the end of the episode, Karen goes back to Plankton...even though she proclaimed that she never wanted to see him again earlier in the episode! Seriously?

While "Enemy-In-Law" was arguably worse because more than one infidelity occurred (remember, Mrs. Krabs apparently cheated on Plankton with his robot...yeah, don't ask me how that worked), this episode isn't much better. The underlying message throughout the whole thing is that you can kick your spouse to the curb once you've found someone younger and more attractive. And once this new partner becomes boring, all you have to do is apologize to your old spouse (and perhaps even get hurt too) for him or her to forgive you.

So...yeah. Not a terrible episode, but a terrible message.