SpongeBob SquarePants

One Coarse Meal / Gary in Love

Aired Weekdays 5:30 PM Mar 25, 2010 on Nickelodeon

6.2
  • I thought I wouldn't like this episode, but gave it a chance and was pleasantly surprised.

Synopsis: Mr Krabs discovers that Plankton is afraid of whales, and uses this to his advantage by donning a whale suit and scaring him at every opportunity. Spongebob notices that Plankton is forlorn and feels bad for him. Knowing that his boss won't quit while he's ahead, Spongebob takes things into his own hands.

I have to admit, hearing about "suicidal Plankton" put me off watching this episode and I never gave it a chance until recently. I'm glad I did give it a chance, though, because it's actually a very funny episode.
    Firstly; I love episodes that are based on actual aspects of marine biology. Sometimes the fact that Bikini Bottom is underwater seems completely irrelevant and therefore you tend to forget about it, but episodes like this serve as a big reminder. What I found particularly funny was the use of unanimated, "live action" whales.
    Secondly; I thought the writing in this episode was superb, and comparable with pre-movie episodes. Lots of marine biology gags ("I've seen those documentaries!") and big words (for want of a better phrase). I didn't feel stupid watching this episode. A line I particularly enjoyed: "I'm sorry, Plankton, but that flies in the face of my good nature."

This episode wasn't perfect, however. I thought Krabs driving Plankton to suicide was a bit much. Although "suicide" isn't mentioned, it's still a touchy subject.

Overall - excellent episode. Season 7 has restored my faith in the series and I hope that Season 8 will continue to do so.