SpongeBob SquarePants

Restraining SpongeBob

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Apr 02, 2012 on Nickelodeon

5.9
  • Okay what the fuck?

This episode was meanspirited and stupid. The restraining order I get. But the more I watched, the more I hated everyone. And the ending... Patrick laughs and then foop. What in the actual fuck?
  • Another bad episode

Once again we have an episode that's just plain awful. This episode shows how low the new writers will continue to go. I agree with YellowRaven2715 and Makeavelli269, this episode is horrible. Like what YellowRaven2715 said, the episode's theme is too mature for the show, and Squidward was so selfish in this episode.

0.5/10, because Patrick was KIND OF funny (but also annoying and dumb).

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 2 (originally posted last year on September 29): Nick has an upcoming show called Breadwinners that airs in 20 days. Today I found the pilot on YouTube and showed it to my family. EVERYONE HATED IT! They all said it was the worst thing they'd seen in their lives. And that includes The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (2012), Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale (2006), and Rabbids Invasion. So I won't be surprised when Breadwinners gets a 1.9 just like Marvin Marvin here at and Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale at IMDb. My Aunt said I should rate it as low as possible just to get the score down. Unfortunately, the lowest one can rate is 1, unless you are a prolific author. I have been working on that for months (6 plus months), so I can rate stuff like Marvin Marvin, Fred: The Show, and The Oogieloves a 0.0. Breadwinners is next on my "to rate 0.0 once I can" list.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 18: Breadwinners premiered yesterday. I have reviewed it. It's bad but not as bad as Sanjay and Craig.
  • Ugh...

This episode was horribly obnoxious. While I can understand why Squidward would finally want to get a restraining order against SpongeBob, when you think about it, the reason he got it in the first place wasn't even really SpongeBob's fault. Sure, SpongeBob was annoying Squidward with the empty mustard bottle, but it was Squidward himself who put his arm on the grill, causing the chain of events that got him hurt...again. At that time, SpongeBob was actually trying to warn Squidward. But that's not what makes this episode so horrible.

In my opinion, at this point, Patrick has no brain whatsoever. For some reason, his obnoxiousness went through the roof in this episode. As soon as Squidward was able to keep SpongeBob away from him, Patrick wouldn't leave him alone. While the act that made Squidward get the restraining order against SpongeBob in the first place is questionable, I could definitely see why he'd get one against Patrick at the end.

Also, what was with the random guy who came in with a "seaberry pie?" Was that the only thing the writers could come up with to develop a final straw for Squidward against Patrick?

Overall, not a good episode at all. Thumbs-down from me.
  • This episode was not that good.

4.5
    So, Squidward files a restraining order on SpongeBob. This episode has 2 major flaws.

1.) The episode's theme is too mature for the show

2.) Squidward was so selfish in this episode

4.4 F+
  • Squidward gets a restraining order against SpongeBob when he gets fed up with him

A fed-up Squidward resorts to legal action to keep SpongeBob away. By Season 8 standards, this is definitely one of the very weak episodes of this season. This episode honestly should've either belonged to Season 4 (I found this season to be enjoyable), Season 5 (enjoyable as well but not nearly as good as Season 4), or Season 6 (the worst season of the series... I don't hate it by the way but it's just the weakest season of the series in my opinion). I honestly wasn't too excited about this episode when I first read the plot about it. I mean, the plot about Squidward putting a restraining order against SpongeBob did some kind of potential to be fantastic but it just fails at that. I don't blame the people that hate this episode though so it's very understandable. While this episode is nowhere near as weak as "Squidward's School For Grown Ups", it's still not too good. I would probably have to say that this is the 2nd weakest episode of the season leaving "Squidward's School For Grown Ups" to be the 1st. So yeah, this was just an okay episode but it does have its fair share of some pretty funny moments like Squidward getting grilled plus a customer eating him, Squidward's lawyers explaining the restraining order to SpongeBob, That customer asking Squidward "Do you need to take a break?" when he can hear fart noise from Squidward when it is actually just SpongeBob squeezing the mustard making that fart noise, and Squidward being allergic to seaberry pie followed by a fight between Squidward and Patrick. I also liked how Squidward decided NOT to restrain SpongeBob anymore and INSTEAD restrains Patrick at the very end of the episode (which I saw coming). I also liked how SpongeBob stopped the fight between Squidward and Patrick even though he knows that he will violate the restraining order. As for the negatives, what really lowered me score here was the fact that premise to the storyline wasn't very well written. I thought SpongeBob and Patrick being a little too annoying. I mean, SpongeBob and Patrick have been WAY more annoying in other episodes than this one but you know what I mean, Patrick was kinda funny in this episode but he just mostly annoyed me especially when he keeps following Squidward everywhere he goes. The episode itself just dragged a lot in some of the scenes. Plus I really didn't like the very last scene with Patrick just laughing.... that made me say to myself "WTH?". Overall, this was just an okay episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants".... by Season 8's standards, though, this is the 2nd worst episode of the season. 6.5/10
  • Wow, how annoying can you get?

3.5
    I apologize if you think I am being too harsh, but this episode annoyed me to no end. First off, the beginning had promise, but after Squidward put the restraining order on Spongebob, it just went straight downhill and never came back. SpongeBob not knowing what a restraining order was ridiculous, but then I got excited when Patrick got hired, but they ruined it by making him a nonsensical annoying person. The only thing I actually like was when Patrick and Squidward were fighting, but then the ending happened, and I expected that to happen after Patrick got hired. Also, why couldn't Squidward put a restraining order on both of them? Oh well, 3.5 out of 10
  • My first episode review in a LONG time!

It HAD to happen sooner or later, but after one too many times of being accidentally hurt, annoyed, maimed, bruised, battered, scratched, mauled, cut, burned, scorched, singed, broken, dismembered, and yes, even just plain irritated by Spongebob, Squidward FINALLY decides that he has had all he can stand and he can't stand any more! To this end, he goes to court and gets an official RESTRAINING order! The legal document says that Spongebob is NOT to come within a 15 foot radius of being anywhere NEAR Squidward. But this makes work for Spongebob, very, VERY hard! Work becomes so hard that even Mr. Krabs notices it! When Mr. Krabs finds out what Squidward has done, he wants Squidward to take the moral high road by just making the restraining order null and void, but Squidward refuses to budge and will NOT change his mind under ANY circumstances! So Mr. Krabs decides to put Squidward's patience to the test, by hiring Patrick as a go-between for Spongebob and Squidward. It doesn't take long for Squidward to start being annoyed as much by Patrick as he was by Spongebob. Soon, he becomes even MORE enraged after Squidward is accidentally hit by a seaberry pie due to Patrick's actions, and Squidward is ALLERGIC to seaberry pie. Squidward decides that this insanity CAN'T go on any longer. But before Squidward can do anything, Patrick (who reasonably believes that Squidward is a monster due to the way Squidward's body has reacted to the seaberry pie) begins to fight Squidward, in order to protect Spongebob FROM Squidward! Spongebob wants to break the fight apart, but he doesn't want to violate Squidward's restraining order. Soon enough though, Spongebob decides he HAS no choice, and he stops the fight by telling Patrick that he wasn't hitting a monster. To Spongebob's relief, Squidward has decided that Spongebob does NOT have to receive any punishment. On the contrary, Squidward has decided to ALTER his restraining order, and changes the terms of his legal document to restrain Patrick INSTEAD of Spongebob! This was a funny season eight episode, and I certainly hope that there will be more of them! 8)
  • Decent start for the double week of premiere

A fed-up Squidward resorts to legal action to keep SpongeBob away. I thought this was a decent start of the two week of premiere. It is not that poor, but the storyline could have doen better. It is, however, one of the weakest (but not worst) episode for season 8. There were a couple problems here. The first few minutes was a little boring. Also, Patrick kept asking Squidward that he can watch him work wasn't that funny. It was getting annoying and it made me took off like 15 points for my score. But besides that, Patrick was still hilarious in this episode. Squidward getting his hand burned, then he got fried was the most funniest part in this episode. I thought it was hilarious that he was allegric to seaberry pie. A couple more parts were funny as well. Overall, it was just a decent episode. 7.5/10
  • Not as great as most of the other more recent episodes.

This episode, in my eyes, definitely had the potential to be great. The plot of Squidward getting a restraining order against Spongebob could have been a great story, but I dunno...something just tells me the writers could have done a lot more with it. I was hoping the larger focus would be on Spongebob having the restraining order rather than the Patrick/Squidward interaction, but then again, if it had, the episode probably would have mainly consisted of SpongeBob constantly annoying Squidward despite trying not to violate the restraining order or something like that, so I'm kinda glad it didn't turn out that way. There were some funny parts in this episode, like Squidward getting burned on the grill and fried and the customer eating him, and Patrick's part throughout was funny, although, like SpongeBob, he kinda got on my nerves in this episode. The ending was a surprise, and I liked how SpongeBob broke up the fight between Patrick and Squidward without getting arrested. The very end, though, felt really lazy, and it made me say to myself "What the heck?" I also felt like parts of this episode dragged a lot. So, overall, this episode was kind of a disappointment, as I felt like there was some wasted potential. It wasn't bad, though. Grade: C+. Marebear2009, out!
  • Felt like Season 4

now this episode wasnt BAD it just wasnt great. it had a lot of funny moments (lawyers and patrick and squidward fighting) but it felt dry a little. i loved the plot it was good that squidward finally used the law, but i feel like it could of been better.

it was still a pretty good episode