SpongeBob SquarePants

Weekdays 5:00 PM on Nickelodeon Premiered May 01, 1999 In Season

SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Reviews (1566)

• The old seasons were the best, but the show declined!

The show has been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) ever since the movie! But the old episodes were always a hit! Also, this is the only show I still watch these days besides Liv and Maddie. I mostly watch for reruns of the classics, but sometimes I watch one just to criticize it. I recently watched one called The Sewers of Bikini Bottom and it was awful! It was also paired with another episode I didn't like (Patrick! The Game). I rate this show a 9.5 for the good episodes. If all episodes were as good as Band Geeks, Texas, Chocolate with Nuts, and other classics, I'd give it a perfect 10. This is the only show still on TV besides Liv and Maddie that's worth watching. At least I can still watch the classics.
  • Horrible, Bad for kids

SpongeBob ruins kids brains and lowers grades in school. Plus it's such a stupid show with barely any story.
  • Great again.

The new episodes are like the old ones. The animation is back, the crew, and the plot. Some episodes are actually better than the old ones.
  • SpongeBob is about a gay sponge who kills people and murders people thanks to Squidward's poop

Sup. SPONGEBOB SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he is gay and evil and you better watch better shows like Postcards from Baxter, Sanjay and Craig, and Breadwinners. Everyone on this show is on crack and I love it so much it is a bay show cancel it nickelodeon.
  • The newer seasons don`t Reach the expectations of the show .

That is the problem i love spongebob as much as the next guy but the writes are changing the character out looked. for one of your example spongebob is usually always in his face until it physically sounds like a is Mr krabs is getting cheaper and cheaper till the point were he breaks in houses and goes to court repeatedly and almost never suffer any consequences i`m not criticizing it just that after Hillenburg left it honestly started to go down hill ,yeah i know it has some good episodes but some can really be annoying like that song chorus when sang like he was some sponge Jesus or what ever but in the long run spongebob will go off-air if it doesn`t improved
  • Why do people keep criticizing New Spongebob I don't get it

I have loved spongebob my whole life and still love it to this day. Over the course of 16 years not much has changed in the show and I think the new writers do a great job so why do a lot of the older fans hate it the only notable differences between "Old Spongebob" and "New Spongebob" are ( A Spongebob's voice is higher pitched, (B Mr. Krabs and Squidward are getting more POV and there is more gross out humor, (C Sandy is into Karate less and in most of the episodes she is in she dose science or builds an invention, (D Squidward is a total Jerk to Spongebob even when he isn't trying to bother him and even when SB tries to be kind to him E) the art work improved , and don't say Mr. Krabs got cheaper in the newer seasons because he didn't watch ; "Imitation Krabs", "Squid on Strike, the Krusty Krab training Video," Sailor Mouth", "Krabby Land" and,"Born Again Krabs" and you'll believe me and other than that none of the characters act any different other than that so whats with all the hate
  • Like the Sponge stopped caring about life.

Agrees with the comments below. Just not as good as before the original movie came out. Sad.
  • I miss the old one...

This used to be a very popular cartoon that was talked about around a very large group of an old and young demographic. Slid after the movie was a hit. have not watched it since October 27th 2010. It made new comedy, jokes, plot lines not seen in other cartoons. It had mature jokes that a 12 year old and even a 35 year old could laugh at. It was fresh, every episode used to be an adventure. After 2004 it slowly creeped into poor quality. It was a "glory days" Nickalodean type of cartoon. Its not anymore. Its a bit dead. Even the recent 2nd film proved that point even more, it just not good anymore.
  • Oh lord, I dont like the new stuff...

The new episodes are not fun to watch anymore, I just watched it with little cousin and it isn't thank great as It was long ago.
  • This cartoon has always been consistent!

Ever since it first premiered in 99 it captured the hearts of millions! It is the longest running Nicktoon ever! That alone means it is consistently delivering! Voice acting: 10

Older seasons were better but the newer ones are still on par!

Plots: 10

Characters: All are lovable! 10

Suggestions: Try to make this the longest running cartoon ever!
  • My attitude to this cartoon

A thoughtful and inventive cartoon about a hopelessly optimistic sea sponge like watching it.
  • I feel embarrassed for yhe person who won't admit this show isn't good anymore

When I hear about SpongeBob, I think of the biggest fucking grace fall from television history. The show was the master of fucking comedy in its hey-day. It was brilliant as a cartoon for a night after a long day for everyone to watch and as a Saturday Morning cartoon for the whole fam. Nowadays it has episodes that make Everybody Fucking Hates Goddamn Chris look appealing.

Seasons 1-3

The characters were likeable and very well developed (you could actually relate to them sometimes), the stories were actually creative, appealing and made sense, the jokes were good, the adult references were really clever(sexual innuendos, drug references) some of them even take someone up to a college level to get them , there were memorable secondary characters, the animation was unique in a very good way, the slapstick left people of all ages in stitches, and the voice acting was astonishing.

Seasons 4-half of season 5

A little step down from the previous seasons. SpongeBobs IQ definitely declined, his voice is a little off, some of the characters personalities were exaggerated, the adult jokes became much more subtle, the animation became a little wacky and some of the plots were a bit more childish compared to before but there were at least some decent episodes with decent jokes. Some episodes were good, some were really bad and some were there were questionable moments such as when SpongeBob was nude and in public and an old woman smiled at him (wtf? SpongeBob must have a nice one) and when SpongeBob giggled after a French guy kissed his cheek...

Second Half of Season 5-9

The characters are no longer likeable in any way (they are all flanderized to the point some seem like their on crack), the stories are terrible, not smart and completely unappealing, the so called "jokes' are too childish and terrible, there are no adult references except for suggestions that SpongeBob is gay, the new animation is way too steril and very uninspired, and there is a few additions to the series that was a HUGE mistake and they should have never added grossout gags, violence and cruelty. This was seriously a huge fucking mistake and I hope the writers get fired for it. For example, there are scenes that involve characters getting skinned revealing their muscles blood vessels and tendons , Patrick putting ketchup on a dirty diaper, SpongeBob getting an infected splinter with massive amounts of puss leaking out into Mr. krab's face, Squidwards toenail being ripped off showing blood, plots about Mr. Krabs becoming a psychotic stalker over a stupid penny, Mrs. Puff trying to violently kill SpongeBob, Squidwards dreams being crushed or Squidward being brutally abused until you question how is he still alive, Sandy telling SpongeBob to be nude in front of an audience so she can clone him nude (we get it SpongeBob is sexy, she might as well jerk him off), Squidward being depressed about hating his life and even Plankton having suicidal thoughts. Wtf???? Would you really see that on a family oriented cartoon or a Saturday morning cartoon? These seasons aren't appropriate for any age since mixing such childish subject matter with bad morals violence and gross out humor doesn't seem to fit in any goddamn age group.

SpongeBob literally went from the Bugs Bunny of our generation to transforming into an abomination that is completely embarrassing to watch. Stephen Hillenburg should not have quit as showrunner cuz if I were him and saw this happen to my creation, I would be deeply ashamed and try to buy it back for good.

Not even The Simpsons fell this badly even though that hasn't been very good for years it is still much better than this shit. I dont plan on checking out the second spongebob movie anytime soon and am not looking forward to season 10 either because I am not even the least fucking interested.
  • SpongeBob SquarePants

Season 5: Decent at best, but still bad

Season 6: Bad

Season 7: Horrible

Season 8: Horrible

Season 9: It was better than 6, 7, & 8, but still had some bad episodes. Decent at best.

SpongeBob Movie 2: Really good

Season 10: TBC...
  • Grew up with love it.

Spongebob Squarepants is one of the best things to ever come out of animation. But it isn't perfect. I love this grew up with it all of the time. But I slowly see our favorite sponge slipping down. The first 3 seasons are with laughter and characters we love to this day. And to top it off the movie is probably the best movie to pop out of Viacom. Seasons 4 and 5 aren't didn't top seasons 1-3. Then...6 and above just went so badly. Seasons 6-9 offered so many bad episodes and unfunny the characters aren't as cunning as they were back then. But I still love Spongebob and will always tune in when it's on, New or Not. I hope they don't mess up season they will learn from 6-9.
  • love it so much!

I grew up with this show. I love the episodes. I even like the new episodes
  • Evolution of Spongebob

I don't know what else to write so this is what I will say.

Seasons 1-3: Almost flawless! Almost every episode was flawless with the exception of 1 or 2.

Spongebob Movie: One of the best Nickelodeon movies of all time.

Season 4: Very good, however it was not nearly as good as previous seasons.

Seasons 5-6: Much worse than Season 4. Decent at best.

Seasons 7-8: Very, very, very bad. There were way too many bad episodes.

Season 9: Much like seasons 5 and 6, it was decent.

Spongebob Movie 2: Pretty good, but not nearly as good as the original movie.

Season 10: Hopefully better than Season 9 was. Not saying season 9 was bad, but I hope this is better.
  • Best Cartoon that turns into the wrost since the recent season

Spongebob was one of the best shows that Nick aired! but the recent of the' show's seasons is not good

i really can't stand the way they turn to show today, why rated it 9/10? well i really like that show back then and yes some episode that aired after movie where good! but it not as good as it should be, but fans really enjoy the show before and today.
  • Why yall got to hate on spongey the bob?

How could anyone not like Spongebob? Have you hit your head on a brick? SpongeBob is the shit and always will be. Sure it hasn't been to my liking in the last couple seasons, but a few crappy seasons ain't gonna make me dislike the show. It made up my childhood and probably most of yours as well. So go hate on another show that deserves it such as Shake It Up or Big Time Rush.
  • Mr. Krabs's review

Hello, I am Eugene Krabs! Owner of the Krusty Krab, and the review to our reality?? Oh sure, i love money, and i have two hardworking employees, SpongeBob and Squidward. Watching our customers pay me money is my favorite thing working at the business, but of course my arch rival Plankton has to ruin it for me. Selling chum that tastes like barnacles and wants to steal the secret formula. But i keep it in a special safe in my office. . Do not tell Plankton about this review, or he'll have an easy route to steal the secret formula.
  • Spongebob is sinking down.

Renember the Golden Age of Spongebob? Those 3 first seasons? Those where what made Spongebob famous. I used to speak with my friends about this all the time. Untill the leap of faith came.

This show ended in 2005 after the movie. After that, Hillenburg left and they hired this other guy that fucked up Spongebob. He renewed it and put it back up. BAD MISTAKE.

Spongebob is dead now. All we have is the show's spirit giving it its last. I just know Spongebob, FOP, Breadwinners and Sanjay and Craig are going in the crapper by the next 5 months.

By then, Nick will be out of ideas.

EDIT 29/03/2015: I went to check out the splinter, one coarse meal and house fancy on youtube, because everyone said they are the worst episodes ever and I went to find out why. Why did the writers actually think that a splinter getting hammered in someone's finger is funny? And what's so funny about someone trying to make another commit suicide?? Plus, dat toenail ripping scene just made me cringe.

• <3 i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee

I love sponge bob *--* <3
  • Pretty excited

Can you believe that they are making a new season!?!?! I am so excited, yet i can tell the episodes are gonna be stupid......
  • Unfortunately, it's just not as good anymore.

SpongeBob SquarePants is considered one of the greatest cartoons ever made. I certainly never missed a chance to see it when I was a kid. It was one of the best cartoons I'd ever seen. It had the funniest characters, an original plot, and they always went on crazy, funny adventures. Unfortunately, the show is far past it's prime.

If I were to rate the first three seasons of SpongeBob than it would have a perfect 10. But the show has just fallen from grace since being revived. It's not bad, its just pretty obvious that the writers are running out of good ideas. Just like Fairly Odd Parents, SpongeBob was cancelled, then it was brought back for more seasons. When that happened, the show started to go south. Again, not to the point where it's completely bad, it's just not nearly as good as it was. The characters haven't changed (Thank God!), except for maybe Mr. Crabs who got even more greedy, if that's even possible. But the art style is different than what it was, and the animation doesn't seem nearly as energetic as it used to be. And... neither really look that good.

Apart from those, there isn't really much more to say. SpongeBob SquarePants was a once legendary cartoon, that unfortunately went a little downhill since getting a new team of writers and different animation. But it's still a great show for kids, and it's still by far the best show on Nickelodeon right now.
  • The first three seasons gave me my childhood... what happened?

Now hear me out, the reason this show is getting a 3/10 is because only 3/10 seasons were good.

It's incredibly sad how awful this once hilarious and legendary show has become. Most of the time, when people reference SpongeBob, they reference the old episodes. You know why? They were good.

NONE, and I mean, NONE of the new episodes are worth your investment. Other people saying this new seasons are great are obviously high. Please, just go support the first three seasons, with it's well-done jokes and social commentary, and do not pop in an episode from Season 6... like The Splinter. God, just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.
  • I Love SpongeBob, Both Old and New!

I remember when I first heard of SpongeBob. I was a little kid and I did not like SpongeBob at first, but then it became my favorite cartoon to this day. I am glad that the show was revived after the movie and I think that it is a success. I get angry whenever anyone says that the show has gone or is going downhill. While I respect the post-movie haters' opinions, the "Old SpongeBob vs New SpongeBob" thing is getting real annoying and even depressing for the true fans.

My favorite character on the show is SpongeBob because of his good nature, innocence, and work eithic. Both him and Patrick are funny. My least favorite character is Mr. Krabs because all he cares about is money, but I also dislike Plankton because all he cares about is the formula.

The episodes are well written. They have great storylines and funny moments. Some moments are also tearjerking and/or heartwarming.

Overall, SpongeBob is a great show for kids, teens, and even adults to enjoy. I also love the writers and animators for making such an amazing cartoon.

Edit: I have deleted the last two paragraphs to save room to say that there is a guy on with the username Waterblonk, who has said that anyone who likes New SB should be beaten to a coma. If you subscribed to his channel, you might want to unsubscribe him if you believe that we should respect opinions, regardless of if the person with the said opinion is a post-movie hater or fan. I really felt upset when I found Waterblonk's comment and it hurt my feelings. I HATE THAT MOTHERF*CKER! It's okay to hate new SpongeBob, but you don't have to make me feel bad about it.

Also, if you have heard about Casey Alexander's harassment on Twitter, last year, and you have an account, you may want to block anyone who has harassed Alexander. That is if you are a post-movie fan and/or think harassing someone over what they wrote is wrong. I hope this never happens again. It is one thing to hate someone's writing, but to harass them? It makes me not want to be in this world anymore.
  • A dumb show with dumb characters

You better watch Avatar
  • Deserves a good rating.

I used to watch it all the time. I don't like the new episodes at all. But hey I'm remembering it for what it was.
  • I love it

First, Spongebob episodes gets even better every time. This show is still kicking butt since the 1990s. I love Spongebob, never gets me bored no matter how many times I've watched an episode over and over again. Second, I love how Spongebob is full of adult jokes/subliminal messages, very well hidden for little kids, amazing how I never noticed any adult joke or strange behavior when a was little. It is good. Sometimes I just hate Mr. Krabs, disgusting personality with the money addiction, makes me want Plankton to really steal the formula sometimes, anyways its good
  • Used to be good, now SUCKS

Seasons 1-3 used to be decent. Now it SUCKS.
  • Doesn't matter how old you are...

First off, I'm very nearly 20. And I'll happily admit that I still enjoy to sit down during the evening and watch some spongebob, because it still makes me laugh! I guess I'm incredibly nostalgic as I grew up on spongebob, but still, I hope my inner child remains with me forever. It is a very funny show, and some jokes are obviously aimed at slightly older audiences (after not noticing as a child).

Best show ever!!!