SpongeBob SquarePants

Saturday 10:00 AM on Nickelodeon Premiered May 01, 1999 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Reviews (1589)

• best show ever

this show is so good and funny i love it so much. it is the best show and i love it. i watch it all day long with the aventures of sponge bob and patrick and squid ward and sandy and mr crabs. they do funny stuff i laugh so much. i wanna visit them and say hi, and wed go on big aventures and have lots of fun. itd be the best day ever haha that was a song wow! i love this so much and i am so exited for new eps. the graphics are good and they are really funny and happy and i like this show. i would watch a spongebob channel all day if there was one. hahahaha good show please watch it youll love it
  • It went back on track!

The show became great again after it's downfall during seasons 6-8, thanks to Stephen Hillenburg coming back.

I have one sad note for you: Stephen Hillenburg has been diagnosed with ALS. Let us all pray that he would be cured and best his best of luck. If he dies, the show should too. Like Apple, they can't continue without him, if they do, it will become shit again.
  • A Lifetime Fan

I really love the series, sure it was horrible at seasons 6-7, but it's improving now, just like seasons 1, 2 and 3. I hope it stays this way.
  • Love spongebob and Kids are smarter than you think.

One of the best shows ever since the last 17 years. Don't listen to Mr Enter. He sucks. If you guys really were true fans then why didn't you guys just accepted the new episodes for what they were? The new episodes of SpongeBob gets edgier and creative everyday. Damn get a since humor. If only this show was on Adult swim pushing things to the limit. Tvtropes is a lie as well. Don't listen to how they labeled characters. Just accept them for who they are. Don't be brainwashed pawns in Mr Enter's hateful nazis group. He's an evil cartoon and anime racist. The enemy of beloved characters from cartoons and animes everywhere in the world. Internet critics like him are full of shit. The spongebob Squarepants fans these days are a ***ed disgrace who constantly rely on nostalgia rather than accepting the new changes in the show. The old fans suck ass. I'm still a true fan of every seasons though.
  • Warrants a '3' for its grand total of three good seasons out of its ten.

Season 10 combines the immaturity of the titular character from seasons 4-6 and the absence of wit from seasons 7-9, so there's that.

• Everytime I watch this I feel my IQ drop and I feel it is low enough

It's hard to avoid this show especially when it is constantly thrown in your face and shoved down your throat. It is so overrated. I never could stand this show. Even more this show has plunged Nickelodeon into a major dark age that they are now emerging out of. Still I see way too much yellow. Yeah I'm well aware of how popular SpongeBob is but even the majority of fans out there would prefer less of it and more variety on Nickelodeon. Yeah they love but most would like the poor sponge be given a break. Most of the fans have become semi rabid and take it way too seriously and developed shorter attention spans too. I really don't recommend this show to young children due to much of the content. A lot of dark themes like murder plotting and suicide are featured. Even more all the main characters have been downgraded to being so one sided and going from funny dumb to just plain dumb and annoying. Plus there was an episode about SpongeBob getting a splinter and how gross and disgusting it gets. In fact there are quite a few gross out moments. The only reason why this show is still highly rated other than the plethora near brainless fans is that most of these reviews are based on the quality of the first few seasons and some on the latest seasons with the creator returned probably to restore this show to some of its former glory and quality. Nickelodeon needs to finish this show and find some new ideas and talent. You know it's bad when close to 90% of the programming consists of SpongeBob and there's no special reason for the marathon but because the network is so hyperfocused on it.
  • This score is for seasons 1-3 only

Back in the early 00's, SpongeBob was one of the best cartoons that have ever existed. The characters were all likable and hilarious (Especially Patrick), the animation looked great (and it still does), but what I loved most about the older seasons was not just the humor, the humor was mostly jokes that both adults and kids can enjoy, mostly due to so much originality in the writing and the storylines that led to great humor as an outcome. Even adults would find the humor funny too, because there were so many quotes and scenes that we could repeat multiple times, yet never get tired or bored of the joke, because they work so well. My only problems is that in occasional episodes, you can expect the characters to be out of character and mean spirited, like the episode where Patrick has his parents over and constantly teases SpongeBob, which is why my score for the older seasons is slightly low. Besides that flaw, SpongeBob was still the best show to date back in the early 2000's, and even nowadays I still enjoy watching them on my own time. Now, onto the newer seasons... Ever since Stephen Hillenburg left, the show has lost a lot of it's charm that the old episodes had. The old episodes had original plots that lead to great humor and great morals for children. The new episodes focus on either The Krusty Krab vs. The Chum Bucket (mostly), Squidward Abuse, Mr. Krabs's greediness, or Sandy's science experiments. Also, the characters aren't the same as they used to be, and the gags in the new episodes for the most part are gross out humor jokes or offensive jokes like blowing whistles near hospital patients at risk of dying. On the bright side, the animation still looks amazing, if not better than the older seasons, there are still some good episodes airing without the cons I mentioned, and I enjoy the new hawaiian music the creators have worked on. But overall the new episodes really aren't the same as the older ones. They aren't terrible like most people say they are, but they're alright IMO. If I were to rate the older seasons I would rate them 9.5/10, but the newer seasons get a 6/10. I will use the older seasons rating for this review because I love them so damn much!
  • This show is great.

I love this show despite the show going somewhat downhill in the Post-Movie era in my opinion.
  • SpongeBob's like a rollercoaster, up, down, then up again

I think SpongeBob is a nice show, it gets a 10 even though from seasons 4-7 it doesn't deserve that rating, but ESPECIALLY in season 6. I'm going to review all of the seasons now, and share my slightly uncommon opinion on the show.

Season 1: A very solid season, it's a good season despite some letdowns like Jellyfishing.

Season 2: Even better than the first season, it had a few duds (like Wormy) but it was all around great.

Season 3: The best season of SpongeBob. It has my favorite episode Chocolate With Nuts.

Season 4: Eh, it's alright, but not like what is was in the previous three seasons.

Season 5: It's pretty average like Season 4. It's not bad but below the quality of the first three seasons.

Season 6: The worst season of SpongeBob, hands down.

Season 7: Also a pretty rough season. Not far off season 6.

Season 8: Getting better, with episodes that seem like Seasons 1-3.

Season 9: A very good season that's on par with the Hillenburg era.

As you can see, the show was on edge in seasons 4-7, but it's gotten much better after that. Finny Sohr, out.
  • Best Show ever

3 of the seasons are great but the most part about Spongebob, the big fame is finally came with one of the best shows in the world but most of the episodes are still clever but the show is okay :)
  • Cultural icon.

Let's face it, Spongebob is the most culturally relevant phenomenon ever, period. Its quotability is through the roof.
  • Best Children's Show in History

I grew up during the golden age of SpongeBob SquarePants. I loved almost every episode in the first three seasons. Compelling characters, spot-on comedy, touching moments, wacky antics, etc. This show had everything. SpongeBob has absolutely become an icon in pop culture. He's charming, fun-loving, and ,overall, a good sponge. Patrick may not be the brightest star in the sea, but his love for fun and loyalty to SpongeBob makes him lovable. Squidward may be a jerk, but he's a lovable jerk. Sandy is my favorite character. She's smart, fun, athletic... she's just a really cool squirrel. Mr. Krabs, although greedy, still has a heart that makes him favorable. Plankton is a villain we all love to hate/hate to love. Gary is hard not to love. He's cute, intelligent, and a loyal pet to our favorite underwater sponge.

Let's not forget about the first movie. My family and I went to see it in the theater and I loved it. It reminds us why we loved the show.

Yes, SpongeBob SquarePants has gone downhill after the movie. Season 4 was almost as admirable as the first three, but every other season lacked the heart and charm that show originally showed us. Still, there is no denying that any SpongeBob episode, old or new, is fun to watch. The golden era of the show may have ended with the first movie, but this show will always have a special place in my heart. Long Live SpongeBob!

My Favorite Episode: "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"
  • I Love SpongeBob, Both Old and New!

I remember when I first heard of SpongeBob. I was a little kid and I did not like SpongeBob at first, but then it became my favorite cartoon to this day. I am glad that the show was revived after the movie and I think that it is a success. I get angry whenever anyone says that the show has gone or is going downhill. While I respect the post-movie haters' opinions, the "Old SpongeBob vs New SpongeBob" thing is getting real annoying and even depressing for the true fans.

My favorite character on the show is SpongeBob because of his good nature, innocence, and work eithic. Both him and Patrick are funny. My least favorite character is Mr. Krabs because all he cares about is money, but I also dislike Plankton because all he cares about is the formula.

The episodes are well written. They have great storylines and funny moments. Some moments are also tearjerking and/or heartwarming.

Overall, SpongeBob is a great show for kids, teens, and even adults to enjoy. I also love the writers and animators for making such an amazing cartoon.

Edit: I just want to let the post-movie critics, whom I threatened, that I am sorry for threatening you guys. I respect your opinion on SpongeBob. It was wrong to let my anger get out of hand and I apologize for that. I really feel terrible for what I have done. I will not do that ever again.
  • Spongebob Squarepants Seasons 1-3

The only seasons I like is 1-3, Then everything changed the only season I hate is 7 because everything got downhill and I hope season 10 turnout but for now I still like the First Three seasons of Spongebob?
  • A really good show. Modern SpongeBob is good. Stop being so biased and give Modern a chance. Judge SpongeBob by good and bad, not BY FREAKING ERA.

SpongeBob SquarePants is without a doubt one of the greatest cartoons to exist. While many people think the show has declined in quality, I disagree. A lot. I've been watching SpongeBob for about a decade now and I've loved it since I was a kid. I've seen every episode in premovie and almost every single one in post-movie. I love this series, and I'll talk about why. The animation of this show is really great, especially Seasons 6 and up. The plots are actually original and manage to contain some really great gags. The comedy of this show is what really shines, they may reuse gags sometimes, but it's not really noticeable. I personally dislike those who judge this show based on time of era. PREMOVIE HAD FREAKING TERRIBLE EPISODES TOO -- AND SOME OF THE WORST AND MOST BORING SPECIALS OF ALL TIME. If you're a typical premovie fan that will just hate on SpongeBob just for the sake of it, then you can piss off.

Want a good laugh? Watch this show. It's truly fantastic.
  • When I Talk About This Show, I'm Only Talking About The Pre-Movie Seasons

Spongebob Squarepants is a fun, charming show that doesn't exactly talk down to most children that watch the show, nor really does it dumb down children. Spongebob Squarepants is about a sponge under the sea named Spongebob who simply lives his life and goes on adventures with some uniquely drawn characters including: Patrick Star, a goofy best friend neighbor of the sponge. Squidward, who is also a neighbor but he is a sourpuss who finds the two friends annoying. And Mr. Krabs, who is a cheapskate that runs a restaurant called the Krusty Krab. The best characters in my opinion of this show are Patrick & Squidward. Patrick is the funniest character of the entire show, as not only does he make hilarious jokes, but he does say some random lines that somehow get a good laugh out of me. Squidward is a sourpuss, but he's likeable as we do get to see his perspective on the best friends and he does get good laughs while trying to argue with Spongebob & Patrick. The other side characters are not bad, nor are they great. Gary is the pet of Spongebob, Sandy is a squirrel that Spongebob learns a lot about, and the list goes on. Kind of like "Ed, Edd n Eddy" I admire how the first season does traditional animation, and I honestly think that gives a lot more charm to the show, seasons 2 & 3 do have a lot of charm but I don't think as much because they are computer animated. The music is very good, and the show has some memorable & cute songs. Overall: Spongebob Squarepants is a fun, bouncy animated show with some great characters & decent characters, it has some good songs, good stories, & a lot of children will like the earlier seasons because they are charming and the show may even(in my opinion) bring up their self-esteem, mainly because Spongebob & Patrick act like kids, but in a way done really well.

3.5/4 Stars
  • BEST SHOW EVER

The quality of the show has really declined over the years but its still an awesome show.
  • Kids are getting to be idiots

So, kids love Spongebob Squarepants but they don't understand what watching that show is doing to there brain cells. I am 13 and in to college courses and 1 high school course and all advanced classes. I have never watched cartoons but my brother and sister do and they watch Spongebob Squarepants and they are in the 5th and 7 th grade and r as dumb as rocks. They don't understand the concept of things not being OK to watch and it's getting worse. Fun fact about Spongebob Squarepants is that you lose 2 IQ points for each episode you watch and some adult watch the show and might not be affected but kids are because there brains aren't fully grown.
  • This show was okay before the first movie.

This was one of my favorite late childhood shows of the late 90s-early 2000s UNTIL the movie came along, the writers slowly began to use overused tropes :/ which several people pointed out *Cough Mr ENTER Cough* Though Its still decent as long as you avoid the REALLY bad episodes. The two worst episodes are "House Fancy" and "The Splinter" AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. unless you like gross-out imagery or watching Squidward lose a toenail by the titular character not paying attention.
  • Even the new ones are good.

Compared to the other garbage on is still really good. The new episodes get way too much hate.
  • hate it

this cartoon is .AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!1!11
  • Join SBC!

Join SBC today!

• Painful repetition for all ages

3.5
    Yes! No matter what age you are, you will be surely annoyed by how many times the same episode is aired on this channel.
  • I miss the old one FANS PLEASE READ WHAT I AM SAYING

5.5
    This used to be a very popular cartoon (somewhat still is) that was talked about around a very large group of an old and young demographic. Slid after the movie was a hit. have not watched it since October 27th 2010. It made new comedy, jokes, plot lines not seen in other cartoons. It had mature jokes that a 12 year old and even a 35 year old could laugh at. It was fresh, every episode used to be an adventure. After 2004 it slowly creeped into poor quality. It was a "glory days" Nickelodeon type of cartoon. Its not anymore. Its a bit dead. Even the recent 2nd film proved that point even more, it just not good anymore.
  • Not as good as the old episodes

When I was a kid, SpongeBob was completely different. Maybe it was better, maybe it wasn't. No matter what your opinion is on SpongeBob today, we all know that it has changed. It's just my opinion, but the older episodes are much better than the current ones. I find the newer episodes a little more vulgar and uncomfortable than the older ones. The older episodes have a charm that I just can't explain, and I'm sure than any other long time fan of the show would agree with me. I can't speak for everyone. If you want to introduce your kids to SpongeBob for the first time, then perhaps it would be best to find some of the old episodes online to show them. I do, however, understand that children's cartoons have changed over time. Maybe this generation of kids wouldn't appreciate the old cartoons like I did growing up. The current cartoons just seem to have less love put into them. But hey, that's just my opinion. At least I can remember the show for what it was.
  • i hate him always did from day one

Sponge bob id one of the crappiest shows on Nick theirs no plot no story and sponge bobs laugh is annoying as heck i don;t watch it but i do like Squiidward, Patrick cause he stupid plankton MR Crabs and hate every one else besides the peeps i just mentioned
  • Still an Amazing Show.

Spongebob is amazing and forever WILL be amazing. Sure, it has had some terrible episodes and declined a little. But every show has those episodes and moments. If you watch the earlier Spongebob episodes, you will laugh hard. It is filled with amazing humor, fun characters, and an amazing environment. If you want to look at Spongebob's golden years. Watch seasons 1-3. You'll see what I mean.
  • spongebob

Love this show. Best cartoon ever. 21 don't care lol. My #1 show .
  • Has improved.

I'll be the first to admit that I still laugh along with the old episodes. Seasons 1-3 were golden, and I still have a DVD of seasons 1-2 to this day. It started to become bad around seasons 5-7, although some of the recent seasons have improved drastically. There is some good humor in there again, not boring and dry concepts like seasons 6-7. I am not a fan of the newer animations, but I guess that just goes along with the switch to HD.
  • 50 years from now, this show will be known as a classic gem

Literally has been one of my favorite television shows since I was still in diapers. The comedy of the show is so well-thought out that not only kids get a kick out of it, but adults as well. Yes, the show has been going downhill recently, but no other children's cartoon can ever reach the popularity that this one has built.
AFNFAM