SpongeBob SquarePants

Weekdays 5:30 PM on Nickelodeon Premiered May 01, 1999 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Reviews (1581)

• When I Talk About This Show, I'm Only Talking About The Pre-Movie Seasons

Spongebob Squarepants is a fun, charming show that doesn't exactly talk down to most children that watch the show, nor really does it dumb down children. Spongebob Squarepants is about a sponge under the sea named Spongebob who simply lives his life and goes on adventures with some uniquely drawn characters including: Patrick Star, a goofy best friend neighbor of the sponge. Squidward, who is also a neighbor but he is a sourpuss who finds the two friends annoying. And Mr. Krabs, who is a cheapskate that runs a restaurant called the Krusty Krab. The best characters in my opinion of this show are Patrick & Squidward. Patrick is the funniest character of the entire show, as not only does he make hilarious jokes, but he does say some random lines that somehow get a good laugh out of me. Squidward is a sourpuss, but he's likeable as we do get to see his perspective on the best friends and he does get good laughs while trying to argue with Spongebob & Patrick. The other side characters are not bad, nor are they great. Gary is the pet of Spongebob, Sandy is a squirrel that Spongebob learns a lot about, and the list goes on. Kind of like "Ed, Edd n Eddy" I admire how the first season does traditional animation, and I honestly think that gives a lot more charm to the show, seasons 2 & 3 do have a lot of charm but I don't think as much because they are computer animated. The music is very good, and the show has some memorable & cute songs. Overall: Spongebob Squarepants is a fun, bouncy animated show with some great characters & decent characters, it has some good songs, good stories, & a lot of children will like the earlier seasons because they are charming and the show may even(in my opinion) bring up their self-esteem, mainly because Spongebob & Patrick act like kids, but in a way done really well.

3.5/4 Stars
  • Love spongebob and Kids are smarter than you think.

One of the best shows ever since the last 17 1/2 years. Don't listen to Mr Enter. He sucks. If you guys really were true fans then why didn't you guys just accepted the new episodes for what they were? The new episodes of SpongeBob gets edgier and creative everyday. Damn get a since humor. If only this show was on Adult swim pushing things to the limit. Tvtropes is a lie as well. Don't listen to how they labeled characters. Just accept them for who they are. Don't be brainwashed pawns in Mr Enter's hateful nazis group. He's an evil cartoon and anime racist. The enemy of beloved characters from cartoons and animes everywhere in the world.
  • Now, analyze this show as well.

Nickelodeon's mascot and cash cow. Love the show, but it has gone downhill over the years, just like FOP (another of my favorite Nicktoons). This show was in its prime in the first three seasons. People will disagree with me, but I liked the 4th and 5th seasons as well. Now, after the first five seasons, the series went downhill and became an overly-milked unwatchable garbage. Seasons 6, 7 and 8 are awful and abysmal. Hillenburg later came back and Seasons 9 and 10 are great again. Out of the two theatrical movies, only the first one was awesome. The second was just simply good/okay to me.

Overall, love Spongebob (and FOP), but unfortunately, I still can't give it a ten because of the 6th, 7th and 8th seasons.
  • BEST SHOW EVER

The quality of the show has really declined over the years but its still an awesome show.
  • Kids are getting to be idiots

So, kids love Spongebob Squarepants but they don't understand what watching that show is doing to there brain cells. I am 13 and in to college courses and 1 high school course and all advanced classes. I have never watched cartoons but my brother and sister do and they watch Spongebob Squarepants and they are in the 5th and 7 th grade and r as dumb as rocks. They don't understand the concept of things not being OK to watch and it's getting worse. Fun fact about Spongebob Squarepants is that you lose 2 IQ points for each episode you watch and some adult watch the show and might not be affected but kids are because there brains aren't fully grown.
  • This show was okay before the first movie.

This was one of my favorite late childhood shows of the late 90s-early 2000s UNTIL the movie came along, the writers slowly began to use overused tropes :/ which several people pointed out *Cough Mr ENTER Cough* Though Its still decent as long as you avoid the REALLY bad episodes. The two worst episodes are "House Fancy" and "The Splinter" AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. unless you like gross-out imagery or watching Squidward lose a toenail by the titular character not paying attention.
  • Even the new ones are good.

Compared to the other garbage on is still really good. The new episodes get way too much hate.
  • hate it

this cartoon is .AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!1!11
  • Join SBC!

Join SBC today!

• A really good show. Modern SpongeBob is good. Stop being so biased and give Modern a chance. Judge SpongeBob by good and bad, not BY FREAKING ERA.

SpongeBob SquarePants is without a doubt one of the greatest cartoons to exist. While many people think the show has declined in quality, I disagree. A lot. I've been watching SpongeBob for about a decade now and I've loved it since I was a kid. I've seen every episode in premovie and almost every single one in post-movie. I love this series, and I'll talk about why. The animation of this show is really great, especially Seasons 6 and up. The plots are actually original and manage to contain some really great gags. The comedy of this show is what really shines, they may reuse gags sometimes, but it's not really noticeable. I personally dislike those who judge this show based on time of era. PREMOVIE HAD FREAKING TERRIBLE EPISODES TOO -- AND SOME OF THE WORST AND MOST BORING SPECIALS OF ALL TIME. Modern SpongeBob may sputter outs duds sometimes, but that's my personal opinion.

Want a good laugh? Watch this show. It's truly fantastic.
  • Painful repetition for all ages

3.5
    Yes! No matter what age you are, you will be surely annoyed by how many times the same episode is aired on this channel.
  • I miss the old one FANS PLEASE READ WHAT I AM SAYING

5.5
    This used to be a very popular cartoon (somewhat still is) that was talked about around a very large group of an old and young demographic. Slid after the movie was a hit. have not watched it since October 27th 2010. It made new comedy, jokes, plot lines not seen in other cartoons. It had mature jokes that a 12 year old and even a 35 year old could laugh at. It was fresh, every episode used to be an adventure. After 2004 it slowly creeped into poor quality. It was a "glory days" Nickelodeon type of cartoon. Its not anymore. Its a bit dead. Even the recent 2nd film proved that point even more, it just not good anymore.
  • Not as good as the old episodes

When I was a kid, SpongeBob was completely different. Maybe it was better, maybe it wasn't. No matter what your opinion is on SpongeBob today, we all know that it has changed. It's just my opinion, but the older episodes are much better than the current ones. I find the newer episodes a little more vulgar and uncomfortable than the older ones. The older episodes have a charm that I just can't explain, and I'm sure than any other long time fan of the show would agree with me. I can't speak for everyone. If you want to introduce your kids to SpongeBob for the first time, then perhaps it would be best to find some of the old episodes online to show them. I do, however, understand that children's cartoons have changed over time. Maybe this generation of kids wouldn't appreciate the old cartoons like I did growing up. The current cartoons just seem to have less love put into them. But hey, that's just my opinion. At least I can remember the show for what it was.
  • i hate him always did from day one

Sponge bob id one of the crappiest shows on Nick theirs no plot no story and sponge bobs laugh is annoying as heck i don;t watch it but i do like Squiidward, Patrick cause he stupid plankton MR Crabs and hate every one else besides the peeps i just mentioned
  • Still an Amazing Show.

Spongebob is amazing and forever WILL be amazing. Sure, it has had some terrible episodes and declined a little. But every show has those episodes and moments. If you watch the earlier Spongebob episodes, you will laugh hard. It is filled with amazing humor, fun characters, and an amazing environment. If you want to look at Spongebob's golden years. Watch seasons 1-3. You'll see what I mean.
  • spongebob

Love this show. Best cartoon ever. 21 don't care lol. My #1 show .
  • Has improved.

I'll be the first to admit that I still laugh along with the old episodes. Seasons 1-3 were golden, and I still have a DVD of seasons 1-2 to this day. It started to become bad around seasons 5-7, although some of the recent seasons have improved drastically. There is some good humor in there again, not boring and dry concepts like seasons 6-7. I am not a fan of the newer animations, but I guess that just goes along with the switch to HD.
  • 50 years from now, this show will be known as a classic gem

Literally has been one of my favorite television shows since I was still in diapers. The comedy of the show is so well-thought out that not only kids get a kick out of it, but adults as well. Yes, the show has been going downhill recently, but no other children's cartoon can ever reach the popularity that this one has built.
  • Iconic for a good reason.

I love this show.
  • Seasons 1-4 were good 5+ were HORRIBLE!

Spongebob old: Cared for people,funny,happy go lucky. Spongebob new:Annoying,makes you mad,creepy.

Squidward old:Grumpy,annoyed,tries to have fun/peace. Squidward new:Same.

Patrick:Slow,funny,has his smart moments. Patrick new:Brain Dead,a jerk,annoying.

Mr. Krabs old:Cared for workers,liked money,rich. Mr. Krabs new: Drives people to suicide,jerk,cannot pay a $1.

Sandy old:smart,likes karate. Sandy new:Barley get to see her anymore.

Plankton old:Evil,Smart. Plankton new:Same

Season 8: Some bad and some good, compare to season 5

Season 9: Stepping up, becoming better

Sponge Out of Water: Great but not better than the first

Season 10: Hopefully the funny comedy will finally come back

Good series, bad flaws in later years, but there's time to fix everything!

• The old seasons were the best, but the show declined!

The show has been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) ever since the movie! But the old episodes were always a hit! Also, this is the only show I still watch these days besides Liv and Maddie. I mostly watch for reruns of the classics, but sometimes I watch one just to criticize it. I recently watched one called The Sewers of Bikini Bottom and it was awful! It was also paired with another episode I didn't like (Patrick! The Game). I rate this show a 9.5 for the good episodes. If all episodes were as good as Band Geeks, Texas, Chocolate with Nuts, and other classics, I'd give it a perfect 10. This is the only show still on TV besides Liv and Maddie that's worth watching. At least I can still watch the classics.
  • Horrible, Bad for kids

SpongeBob ruins kids brains and lowers grades in school. Plus it's such a stupid show with barely any story.
  • Great again.

The new episodes are like the old ones. The animation is back, the crew, and the plot. Some episodes are actually better than the old ones.
  • SpongeBob is about a gay sponge who kills people and murders people thanks to Squidward's poop

Sup. SPONGEBOB SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he is gay and evil and you better watch better shows like Postcards from Baxter, Sanjay and Craig, and Breadwinners. Everyone on this show is on crack and I love it so much it is a bay show cancel it nickelodeon.
  • The newer seasons don`t Reach the expectations of the show .

That is the problem i love spongebob as much as the next guy but the writes are changing the character out looked. for one of your example spongebob is usually always in his face until it physically sounds like a is Mr krabs is getting cheaper and cheaper till the point were he breaks in houses and goes to court repeatedly and almost never suffer any consequences i`m not criticizing it just that after Hillenburg left it honestly started to go down hill ,yeah i know it has some good episodes but some can really be annoying like that song chorus when sang like he was some sponge Jesus or what ever but in the long run spongebob will go off-air if it doesn`t improved
  • Like the Sponge stopped caring about life.

Agrees with the comments below. Just not as good as before the original movie came out. Sad.
  • Oh lord, I dont like the new stuff...

The new episodes are not fun to watch anymore, I just watched it with little cousin and it isn't thank great as It was long ago.
  • This cartoon has always been consistent!

Ever since it first premiered in 99 it captured the hearts of millions! It is the longest running Nicktoon ever! That alone means it is consistently delivering! Voice acting: 10

Older seasons were better but the newer ones are still on par!

Plots: 10

Characters: All are lovable! 10

Suggestions: Try to make this the longest running cartoon ever!
  • My attitude to this cartoon

A thoughtful and inventive cartoon about a hopelessly optimistic sea sponge like watching it.