SpongeBob SquarePants

Saturday 10:00 AM on Nickelodeon Premiered May 01, 1999 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Reviews (1591)

• This score is for seasons 1-3 only

Back in the early 00's, SpongeBob was one of the best cartoons that have ever existed. The characters were all likable and hilarious (Especially Patrick), the animation looked great (and it still does), but what I loved most about the older seasons was not just the humor, the humor was mostly jokes that both adults and kids can enjoy, mostly due to so much originality in the writing and the storylines that led to great humor as an outcome. Even adults would find the humor funny too, because there were so many quotes and scenes that we could repeat multiple times, yet never get tired or bored of the joke, because they work so well. My only problems is that in occasional episodes, you can expect the characters to be out of character and mean spirited, like the episode where Patrick has his parents over and constantly teases SpongeBob, which is why my score for the older seasons is slightly low. Besides that flaw, SpongeBob was still the best show to date back in the early 2000's, and even nowadays I still enjoy watching them on my own time. Now, onto the newer seasons... Ever since Stephen Hillenburg left, the show has lost a lot of it's charm that the old episodes had. The old episodes had original plots that lead to great humor and great morals for children. The new episodes focus on either The Krusty Krab vs. The Chum Bucket (mostly), Squidward Abuse, Mr. Krabs's greediness, or Sandy's science experiments. Also, the characters aren't the same as they used to be, and the gags in the new episodes for the most part are gross out humor jokes or offensive jokes like blowing whistles near hospital patients at risk of dying. On the bright side, the animation still looks amazing, if not better than the older seasons, there are still some good episodes airing without the cons I mentioned, and I enjoy the new hawaiian music the creators have worked on. But overall the new episodes really aren't the same as the older ones. They aren't terrible like most people say they are, but they're alright IMO. If I were to rate the older seasons I would rate them 9.5/10, but the newer seasons get a 6/10. I will use the older seasons rating for this review because I love them so damn much!