SpongeBob SquarePants

Scaredy Pants / I Was a Teenage Gary

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Oct 28, 1999 on Nickelodeon

• Two horrible Season 1 episodes

Two horrible Season 1 episodes if I do say so myself.

Scaredy Pants: Not good at all. The episode could frighten little ones. 0/10

I Was A Teenage Gary: Not good at all. Spongebob turning into a Sanil was not fun ny, it was fucking horrible and sad and depressing. This horrible pair of episodes makes mediocre episode seem great. 0/10
  • Scaredy Pants was superb and I Was a Teenage Gary was perfect

Scaredy Pants: When SpongeBob is tired of getting scared by everyone on Halloween, he tries to scare everyone by dressing up as The Flying Dutchman. The problem is that his costume doesn't look anything like The Flying Dutchman. It was funny when Patrick was shaving SpongeBob to make him round and the ending. It was a great Halloween Special that is still good no matter how many times you watch it. 9/10

I Was a Teenage Gary: Squidward decides to look after Gary when SpongeBob and Patrick goes to a jellyfishing convention just so he won't have to deal with SpongeBob. He spends the whole weekend relaxing, but he forgets to feed the snail until SpongeBob gets home. There is more to this episode, but I don't want to spoil it. It was funny when Squidward eats Gary's snail food to cover up the evidence and Patrick's cameo in the ending. I liked this better than Scaredy Pants. The humor in this episode and the originality make this a perfect episode. 10/10
  • Pretty much my worst episode in my opinion.

3.5
    Scaredy Pants: That episode was okay, except for the ending, I guess. in fact I still watch this episode, the ending would be either freaky or bad, so no offense. This episode has its moments, and it did prevent me from disliking it. Welp, short and simple, I'm done reviewing this segment.

Episode Grade: C-

I Was a Teenage Gary: Now this episode is actually my worst episode, apparently. I'm pretty much a sucker for disliking bad endings. To be honest, I hated it when Spongebob wasn't normal by the end of the episode as well as turning into a snail, but if it's the concept of things, I'm fine with it. I dislike this episode enough to stop watching it. But hey, you can't argue with an episode you've hated traditionally, right? So yeah, anything unhappy or unpleasant with that has happened in that episode, I wish I'd erase that, but yeah, I don't really like this episode.

Episode Grade: F--

Final Grade: F-
  • Well um

Scaredy Pants-I've seen this at least over 5 times, and I can remember Spongebob being the Flying Dutchman and ending up dressed as a ridiculous looking ghost, but later the REAL Flying Dutchman comes and sees Spongebob's AWFUL costume which was supposed to be the flying dutchman so he takes the ghost costume off and even HE gets scared and runs sure looks weird without the costume.

6.7/10

I Was a Teenage Gary-Just watched this one on .

okay WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT

5.7/10

• Spookiest Spongebob ever!

I even think that "I was a Teenage Gary" is a Halloween movie. It's fast pace it's terrifying at times and its enjoyable! I'd also like to see a GOOD Spongebob episode made with Halloween. I felt bad for Gary at times that he starved until he just drank his water. That surprised me. "Scaredy Pants" scares me sometimes, mostly with The Flying Dutchman, although in just the first part of when he says "Enough!"

9/10

• One of the best Sponge Bob specails there is.

Ok Scaredy pants is about the Crabby Patty is having a halloween party but SpongeBob can't scare people and Halloween freaks him out so with the help of Patrick he tries and scares people. So he dresses up as the Legendary Dutchman and scares people but when the real one comes he comes to get revenge on everyone who dresses up as him and tells scarey stories. What will Spongebob and the gang do?

On I was a middle aged Gary: Spongebob hires Squidward to watch over Gary, but thinks go wrong when he doesn't feed Gary, and Spongebob is coming back.

Find out what happens in this episode. I laughed at a lot of parts and i think you will like. Overall 10/10.
  • Another superb pair

Scaredy Pants: I hasn't seen this episode in like forever, so I'll remember what was it about. SpongeBob want to a scary looking ghost after being scared of stuffs. Actually, that part made my score lower because everyone was mean to SpongeBob. The parts that were funny are SpongeBob being scared of the plates, Mr. Krabs telling a story, Patrick cutting SpongeBob's head, everyone as the Flying Dutchman, and the ending. Overall, a superb Halloween episode of SpongeBob. 9/10

I was a teenage Gary: A superb episode. Squidward not feeding Gary was the reason why my score isn't a 10. Other than that, I enjoyed this episode. For some reason, the last minute and a half half very weird (SpongeBob as a snail), but it was pretty funny when Squidward was scared of SpongeSnail. Other funny parts were Squidward feeding Gary quickly, Squidward looking huge after eating the huge snail food, SpongeBob before shortly turning into a snail, SpongeBob, Squidward (both as snail), and Gary humming Blow the Man Up. Overall, a superb episode. 9/10
  • i was a teenage gary great scaredy pants not so great

scaredy pants eh this episode was okay but defindly not the best patrick was not very cool in this episode so i give it a 7.3/10 C+ i was a teenage gary great exeample of season 1 its about spongebob and patrick going jellyfishing and squidward had to take care of gary for the night and one part i liked about this episode was the plasma part were squidward stuck the plasma in spongebob;s head and he turned into a snail because of that that was so adorable so overall this was a great episode i give it a 9.6/10 A+ PS i can see why there is only one bad review for this episode kingnicky1 out
  • A pretty good episode for the first Halloween episode.

Scaredy Pants: So it's Halloween in Bikini Bottom. And as usual, Spongebob is scared of everything involving Halloween. Seeing all the fear Spongebob handles walking home is so funny. However, he's extra scared because Mr. Krabs told him the story of the Flying Dutchman, who steals souls on Halloween night. Spongebob, fed up being scared, enlists Patrick to help him be the Flying Dutchman and scare everyone. However, the kids call him the haunted mattress, which was very funny. So, Patrick shaved off Spongebob to make him look round. And so, they try to scare the neighbors as the Flying Dutchman, but they do it very badly, which was hilarious. Now, Spongebob and Patrick are now going to the Halloween party at the Krusty Krab to scare all the people there. However, Patrick got stung by a jellyfish, while holding Spongebob up to make it look like he's flying, which was hilarious. However, the real Flying Dutchman arrives to tell Spongebob that he isn't scary; but, when the Dutchman took off the sheet, it showed Spongebob's brain, which scared everyone which was really hilarious. Overall, great episode. 9 out of 10.

I was a Teenage Gary: So Spongebob and Patrick have to go out of town to a jellyfish convention, leaving Gary behind, so Squidward is in charge of taking care of Gary, which he is not happy about. Squidward ignoring Gary and tanning was funny, but heartbreaking. Squidward trying to feed a dying Gary was funny too, but again sad. So when Spongebob gets the vet, he gets snail plasma, which the doctor and Spongebob don't want to do, because they're both squeamish, which was pretty funny. All that Gary needed was water which was pretty funny. However, Spongebob gets injected with snail plasma by Squidward accidentally. So now, Spongebob likes snail food, moves slower, and finally turns into a snail. Now, Snail Spongebob is chasing Squidward in his own house, which was hilarious, until Squidward gets injected with snail plasma, and turns into a snail. So then, Gary, Spongebob, and Squidward, all as snails, sing to the moon, which angers Patrick, who throws a boot at Squidward, which as hilarious. Overall, Awesome episode. 9.5 out of 10.

• Perfect

Scaredy Pants:
    Spongebob decides to try and make a real splash at Mr. Krabs' Halloween Party, so he chooses to dress as the legendary Flying Dutchman.

I Was a Teenage Gary:
    Spongebob makes Squidward in charge of taking care of Gary. But when Squidward accidentally forgets, he and Spongebob must cure Gary before the worst happens.

10 out of 10

• Two superb Halloween episodes of "SpongeBob SquarePants"

Scaredy Pants: I thought that this was a superb Halloween themed episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". My only complaint was that everyone was being mean to SpongeBob by scaring him because they know that SpongeBob is scared easily when it comes to Halloween. Mr. Krabs telling his story about the Flying Dutchman was very funny. Patrick making SpongeBob a ghost costume was also funny. It was very funny when SpongeBob and Patrick were going to around trying to scared the people of Bikini Bottom. The kids calling SpongeBob "the haunted mattress" was also funny. SpongeBob scaring everyone at the Krusty Krab and Patrick being the ghost voice was also hilarious. The Flying Dutchman coming to the Krusty Krab and gets freaked out after he took off SpongeBob's ghost costume was hilarious because it was SpongeBob's brain that was showing including everyone else who were scared as well. Overall, a superb Halloween themed episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 9/10

I Was A Teenage Gary: I thought that this was a superb pairing along with the Halloween pairing and it was a pretty weird episode. My only complaint was how irresponsible Squidward when he was not actually taking care of Gary like he promised SpongeBob. It was very funny when Squidward was wondering why Gary looks so ill and then all Gary needed was water. SpongeBob starting to act like a snail after he accidentally gets that snail shot in his nose. It was very freaky when SpongeBob turned into a snail and then comes to Squidward's house. It was also funny when Squidward turned into a snail and then he, SpongeBob, and Gary are meowing late at night and then Patrick says "Will you clam up?" and then he hits Squidward with a boot. Overall, a superb episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". 9/10
  • Halloween Episodes

Scaredy Pants- Spongebob is tired of being scared all the time and people laughing at him, so he decides to come dressed up as the legendary Flying Dutchman. However, something goes wrong and the real Flying Dutchman comes! Will the town be able to escape his wrath? One of the funniest of season 1, and the intro of the Flying Dutchman. 10/10 A+

I was a Teenage Gary- Squidward cares for Gary while Spongebob is away at a Jellyfishing convention. However, Squidward completely neglects Gary, causing the worst to happen, and soon Spongebob begins acting like a Snail? Will his friends be able to save him? Pretty good, nice parody of horror movies, but not as good a scaredy pants. 9/10 A-

Overall, great Halloween Episodes. 9.5/10 A
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show the spongebob . he decides to dress as the flying dutchmen since its halloween in bikin bottom thing is that people are not really scared of spongebob he is more afraid then they are. and so he decides to get help from patrick and thing is patrick makes him scary by shaving his sponge off and only leaving his brain to be seen and so the flying dutch men really shows up and is mad but thing is runs when he sees spongebob brain and so does every eles and in the second part squidward is told to watch gary for a week thing is he forgets and gary is really sick when spongebob comes back this was good ep
  • Good episodes

Scaredy Pants: It's Halloween and SpongeBob tries to scare some kids as The Flying Dutchman, but the kids just laugh at his silly costume. SpongeBob gets Patrick to shave his head round, so he will look more like a ghost. He goes to the Krusty Krab to show off his costume, but everyone is more afraid of what is inside the costume. 9.3/10 A

I Was a Teenage Gary: Gary becomes sick when Squidward forgets to feed him, so a doctor has to come and give Gary some medicine. The doctor has Squidward give Gary the shot. Squidward accidentally gives the medicine to Spongebob instead of Gary, which turns Spongebob into a snail. 8/10 B
  • Solid.

Scaredy pants:
    Honestly,I never found this one so good.I never actually liked this episode.Somehow I think that if this one was made around season 5 it would be better,I don't know why exactly.It's good that Flying Dutchman had his first speaking appearance.But if it comes to Halloween episodes,I like ˝The curse of Bikini Bottom˝ way better.
    6/10

I was a teenage Gary:
    This one was better.No needless speaking,we're directly transported into plot.I never knew SB was a lefty,heh.The best thing about this episode is the fact that there was a deleted scene which contained Squidward's transformation into a snail.Too bad I've never seen it.Also,this episode was way freakier than Scaredy pants.
    8/10
  • MAMAMAMAHHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm a sucker for the creepy episodes.
    But I really hate horror movies,I guess this is my substrate.! Scaredy Pants Good start,middle and end.
    Though it's a bit more weird than creepy it's still one of my favorites of season 1.
    The Flying Dutchmen makes his first of many apparentness and I liked the brain joke at the end.! I Was a Teenage Gary
    Though still not at the height of it's parental,it still makes me laugh at how they can make fun of a movie that most of the viewers have never seen-and I'm one of them.
    Good jokes and decent plot make for a one of the better episodes of season 1.
  • Scaredy pants was better than I Was A Teenage Gary.

Scaredy pants was a pure classic! Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob a scary Halloween story about The Flying Dutchman(named after the boat of the same name) who likes to steal childeren's candy and steal their souls. SpongeBob is sick of being scared every single Halloween and tries to be scary. Patrick helps him get round like an actual ghost and he goes to the halloween party and scares the crap out of everyone. But Patrick gets stung by a jellyfish and Spongebob's real clothes are showing ,so they found out it's really SpongeBob. The actual Flying Dutchmen comes to haunt them because SpongeBob had an offensive costume on The Flying Dutchmind. He takes off SpongeBob's costume and gets scared of his brain and everyone runs away.I liked how this episode used The Flying Dutchman as a legend in here. Grade: A+

I Was A Teenage Gary was sorta disturbing imo. Gary looks so weird when he's sick. We also get to see SpongeBob turning into a snail and acting like Gary. eew! This episode was just as disturbing as Wormy.

grade: C

Total grade: A-

Happy Halloween!
  • Finally! I'm in the mood to review. This is a good time of year to review these episodes.

Scaredy Pants, in my opinion, is one of season one's best episodes. Patrick played a great part! I loved when he said "Oooooohhhh.....I don't know who I am!" while he walked like a zombie and when he wiped the sweat off his forehead with a part of Spongebob. Of course, I also loved it when he ran away screaming at the very end! Hahahahahahahahaha! I wouldn't recommend this episode for very young viewers, however, because of the scene where Sponge's brain is showing. Now, as for the latter episode, I didn't like it as much as Scaredy Pants, but I don't know why so many people don't like it. I didn't find it scary at all (except for maybe the title card music), just funny! I remember when I first saw this episode at the age of 9 I thought it was so hilarious when Spongebob turned into a snail and started meowing at Squidward and Squid ran around screaming, and to this day that part still cracks me up! The only thing I really didn't like about this episode was the fact that Gary got sick, and, um, maybe it could've ended a little better. Overall, though, these are great episodes, and it's too bad they only air once a year. Marebear2009, out!
  • halloween episode!!!

Scaredy Pants:

Spongebob wants to wear a costume to a Halloween party at the Krusty Krab. So he decides to be a ghost, but when he fails to be scary Bob and Patrick decide to make Spongebob the Flying Dutchman. Of course, this works out until the real Flying Dutchman shows up! And the he takes off Spongebob's sheet, revealing his organs in the process! Sponges don't have organs, making it even funnier! Plus, Patrick's costume was great

4.8 out of 5 stars

.................................................

A Was A Teenage Gary:

Meh. Gary has to go to the vet. Spongebob takes the shot home but when trying to give it to Gary he accidentally is shot instead, slowly but surely turing into a snail. Then Spongebob annoys Squidward some more (as a snail), and Squid ends up turing into a snail.
    The weaker of the two episodes. 3.3 out of 5 stars
  • Scaredy Pants was alright, I Was a Teenage Gary was similar, but not as good.

7.9
    Scaredy Pants: An OK episode. It had some good parts, like how nobody understood Sandy's costume, but nothing that great or memorable. I did, however, like the Dutchman's performance. He was creepy at first, but at the same time not really unlikeable. Alright episode.

Score: B- 8.1/10

I Was a Teenage Gary: An average, but weird episode. I liked the beginning scenes, but it got quite weird afterwards. I know this is a Halloween episode, but it was still very bizzare, maybe a bit too much. I kinda fell sorry for Gary, he only gets about one episode a season, and the one he's in turns out to be poorly recieved. It's an OK episode, but did get a little too crazy.

Score: C+ 7.7/10
  • A good Halloween special.

Scaredy Pants:A great episode.I thought the story was well written and it had funny scenes like Sandy's costume and Spongebob trying to scare everyone by pretending to be the Flying Dutchman, but fails because Patrick gets stung by a jellyfish.I also liked the ending, even if it was a little disgusting.

I Was A Teenage Gary:Not as good,but underrated.This episode actually felt more like a Halloween special.It's about Squidward forgetting to feed Gary while Spongebob is away and Gary gets sick.Then they have to inject him with snail plasma but Squidward accidently injects Spongebob instead, and Spongebob becomes a snail. Later, Squidward gets injected too and the same thing happens to him too. This episode was weird, but it had its good moments and I also liked how the storyline moved. I didn't like the ending though.

Overall, this an enjoyable Halloween episode. It's too bad they only air it once a year.
  • I love both episodes!

Scaredy pants:
    Cool! I thought that spongebob did look scary when he was unmasked. This was really funny. I especially loved it when those kids were saying " look! Its the haunted mattress!". I liked this episode, and it was kind of scary. Final grade: A+

I was a teenage gary:
    What can I say, awesome. I thought it was a little scary too. I liked the part where spongebob the snail, was chasing squidward. When patrick threw the shoe at the snail version of squidward, that was funny. This was an episode no one should hate! Final grade: A+. Really good
  • Scaredy Pants was awesome! I Was a Teenage Gary, not so much.

Scaredy Pants is this show's first (and still only) Halloween episode! It features the Halloween holiday and all the special events going on like trick-or-treating and having Halloween parties! People are dressed up in costumes but, in Bikini Bottom, there is the scariest ghost of them all, known as The Flying Dutchman! He actually comes and spooks everybody when SpongeBob is discovered through his ghost costume! Because that broke the straw on the camel's back of how embarassing and pathetic that costume was at scaring people. The Dutchman is tired of seeing everybody dress up like him and imitate him! At first he didn't mind it much until after the tragic thing happened with poor SpongeBob! But it ends with everybody being super scared of him! Even The Flying Dutchman! After everyone sees Spongebob's brain! Yikes! Talk about freaky! Anyway this was a good episode featuring Spongebob and Patrick on their scariness adventure! Okay now the next episode wasn't that good, but I actually kinda liked it. Squidward needs to feed Gary (and make sure he drinks water) while SpongeBob is away for three days. Squidward forgets and it turns into a disaster, especially when SpongeBob and at the end, Squidward himself both get infected with snail plasma. The ending was pretty funny though, I liked Gary, SpongeBob, and Squidward meowing on the fence at night! The funniest part was when Patrick said "Will you clam up!" and threw a shoe knocking down poor Squidward!
  • Well, whilst one episode was fantastic, the other was an extreme disaster.

Scaredy Pants:
    A hillarious episode where SpongeBob tries to make himself look scary for Halloween, but this doesn't go too well, and SpongeBob ends up being scared of even Patrick's costume, which is not even scary! In the end, Patrick cuts off lots of SpongeBob, and puts a sheet over the top to make him scary. He goes to the Krusty Krab party, and everyone is scared until they find out it's SpongeBob. Then, when the Flying Dutchman has taken off the sheet, they all find out that SpongeBob has no real "sponge" left. All you can see is his brain! :o It was a bit disgusting, but this is one of the best of the season.

A

I Was A Teenage Gary:
    After neglecting Gary when SpongeBob & Patrick were away, Squidward injects some snail needle thing to make Gary better, but he ends up injecting SpongeBob, and he turns into a snail. Then Squidward gets injected too, and they're all snails. Absolute rubbish.

F-
  • Great Halloween pairing, because "teenage Gary" was sort of scary. Scaredy Pants is much better though.

Scaredy Pants: SpongeBob is not very thrilled about the fact that he is easily scared by everyone during Halloween and every time he tries to scare someone they laugh at him. Patrick tries to help him when SpongeBob asks to have his head shaved to look circular, this way when he puts on a sheet he won't look like "the haunted mattress" (the way some kids called him) and he'll look like a regular ghost. They show up at a Halloween party at the Krusty Krab where everyone is, and pretend to be The Flying Dutchman in order to scare everybody. At first the guys get people scared, just until a jellyfish stunks Patrick making him run around screaming, which totally spoiled his scaring plans. People notice that SpongeBob is not The Flying Dutchman and laugh at him, just until the real Flying Dutchman shows up and swears to take everybody's souls off because SpongeBob's costume offended him. He takes off the sheet from SpongeBob and runs off scared, and so does every one else. We see SpongeBob with his brain exposed, just a little bit of him, his face, and square pants are left. He is happy to scare everyone. Patrick thought that Bob's brain was a "pink hat" but when he realizes that it's actually his brain he runs off scared as well. SpongeBob says "Don't worry. It grows back!" This was a great Halloween episode, even though it wasn't really scary, but hilarious. 8.8/10

I Was A Teenage Gary: SpongeBob and Patrick are going to a jellyfishing convention on Ukulele Bottom but SpongeBob doesn't have anybody to take care of his pet snail Gary. SO e asks Squidward, who at first refuses but then realizes that SpongeBob and Patrick would be gone for three days and he'd do anything to have a weekend away from them, so he agrees to take care of Gary. He spends the three days tanning, and completely forgets about Gary, just until a couple seconds before SpongeBob arrives home. He hurries up to SpongeBob's house to find a sick Gary. He tries to feed the snail the six cans of snail food Bob left, but Gary is too sick to eat, so Squidward eats the snail food so SpongeBob wouldn't suspect about Squid's negligence. Bob notices that there's something wrong with Gary, so he begs Squidward to help him. They call a doctor that provides them with an ejection of snail plasma, but he won't inject Gary because he's too "squeamish". SpongeBob assures that he is squeamish too and asks Squidward to inject Gary for him. Squidward accidently injects SpongeBob instead. Bob is scares but Squid tells him he'll be just fine. Later on, SpongeBob starts to morphadizes into a snail! He haunts Squidward (by meowing) seeking help, Squidward is terrified and runs around his house trying to scape from "Snail-Bob" until he is as well injected with the snail plasma needle that was around Squid's house. He as well transforms into a snail. The episode ends when the three snails: Gary, Spongebob and Squidward, are meowing an annoying tune and Patrick throws a boot at Squidward asking to "Clam up". This episode started hilariously but the way it turned out was a bit disappointing and too science fiction-like. 7.9/10
  • Hahaha!

Both episodes were really funny. But for me, I was a teenage Haryw as funnier than Scaredy Cat.

Funny!

Scaredy Pants: It's Halloween and Spongebob is afraid. Patrick tries to help him by making him scary. So he dresses as the Flying Dutchman for Halloween. They are also trying to scare the guests in the Krusty Krab party. The ending is realy great! :D.

I was A Teenage Gary: Squidward agrees to take care of Gary for 3 days while Sponge and Pat are gone. But he forgets! So Sponge calls the doctor and gives him the plasma. Squidward accidentaly puts snail plasma on Spongebob's nose.
  • Snail.

I was a teenage gary is one of the most boring episodes to date. But , Scaredy Pants aka.... Halloween Special was a very funny and good episode. It was 1 of the first episodes that I ever saw. Oh yeah , it was the forth episode that I have seen. It is a very good episode , and it is the first Spongebob Squarepants Special Episode. It only airs on Halloween. I wish that it would be aired much more often. But , what can I do? This episode is exactly why I started watching SB Squarepants or just SB.
  • I was a teen age gary is my favorite episode it it so funny!

I think that This TV special of sponge bob was the best ever maid!!!It is my favorite episode Of this series because its so funny!! My fav part is when sponge bob gets turned in to a snail! ! !sponge bob looks so funny. . .When i first saw this episode i though I would die laughnig it was so funny. . .Haa Haa Haa Haa . . .best ever maid! ! !so funny!I think that who ever maid this episode should be a king that was the best episode ive ever seen! ! !the best episode ever maid to thumbs way up
  • Almost the best out there

These have to be one of the closest episodes paired up to be the best. These episodes really made a mark on my impression rating. These are classics that should never be forgotten for any reason. Scaredy Pants was funny because everything scared spongebob bad and it was just funny to watch him be made fun of. I Was a Teenage Gary is an episode that if I could I would bronze it and place it in a safe never to be touched. It sucks because episodes this good are only shown a couple times a year and that just is a rip off.
  • Halloween episode!

Scaredy pants -
    This episode is about Mr. Krabs telling scary stories about the flying dutchman to Spongebob and he scares him so, spongebob wants to get revenge he and patrick make a costume to scare everyone. So spongebob shaves off a little of his sponge body to look round and has boots to look like a ghost so he scares one person then another and another for his last victims he goes to the krusty krab's halloween party climbs on the roof and comes in from the ceiling but, patrick gets stung by a jellyfish and so spongebob loses control and everyone figures out it's spongebob. Then the flying dutchman shows up and tells spongebob how to be scary. This episode is funny!
< 1 2