SpongeBob SquarePants

SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Apr 17, 2009 on Nickelodeon

7.3
  • This is a great episode!

I thought that this was a great speacial! Why do so many people hate it? Listen guys, before you disagree with my review, give the episode a chance. Just give it a chance, it is actually good. This speacial was alot better than WhoBob WhatPants, and not rushed. Anyways, I liked that we saw the flying dutchman again. The Big One was so cool too! I would say that this is the best speacial yet! Well, that is my opinion. It was also great because it involved surfing and Spongebob learned how to surf. Overall, i thought it was a great episode.
  • As far as "Spongebob Squarepants" T.V. specials go, this one is well-worth watching! :D

Good gags, funny scenes, hidden jokes for adults, and all the other usual nuances found within "Spongebob Squarepants" are put to good use within this special. Yet the real treat is the two major guest stars found in this episode! Appropriately enough, Davy Jones of The Monkees fame makes a guest appearance as himself in Davy Jones' Locker! :lol: Even better, Johnny Depp guest stars as Johnny Kahuna Laguna or J.K.L. for short! When Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward get stranded on an island, they're going to have to find a way to learn how to surf and fast if they want to get back to Goo Lagoon and Bikini Bottom! And when Johnny Depp gets into some very neat method acting, Spongebob and Patrick will be awed and amazed at the way J.K.L. makes the ocean work for him and the dedicated students who pay attention to his teachings. Spongebob and Patrick learn that anything worth learning, is worth paying attention to. And Squidward learns to never underestimate a wave called "The Big One." Fortunately, Spongebob and his friends master riding "The Big One," get back to Goo Lagoon safely, and a big welcome back home party is thrown for their safe return. :idea: This is one great episode special, and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in humor, laughter, comedy, and entertaining family fun! 8) Enough said, true believers! ;)
  • I already saw this episode on DVD.

I personally am surprised at how this episode turned out. For once, I can say that nothing was rushed or way too childish. SpongeBob and Patrick were funny in this episode, especially in the scene where they're trying to learn how to surf (along with the narration). The surfer characters were great, and Jack Kahuna Laguna was the best. Johnny Depp did a good job at voicing him! Mr. Krabs and the Flying Dutchman gave a great performance as well and were not out-of-character (I loved the Davy Jones' Locker scene).
    Sandy paid a fair contribution to this episode as well with her small roles. They needed to include her in this episode, and I'm glad they did.
    The overall theme was basically being stranded and learning how to surf. Any show that takes place under the sea needs to have some kind of surf conflict, even if it is just a stinky mud puddle.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Squidward! He was in-sync in this episode as well, especially with his attitude towards JKL.
    Mr. Krabs' cash register Cashy should've been sacrificed, though. Why was Mr. Krabs obsessing over a cash register whose money drawer fell into the ocean, anyway?
    Oh well, this was still a very fine example of how they should make each SpongeBob special: dedicated with a special theme.
  • Best special since "Have You Seen this Snail?"

Wow! This episode turned out great! I really didn't expect it to be this good, but for once my expectations were wrong. This episode is really underrated. Sure, the jokes in it weren't too funny, but that's not really a big deal. I mean, compare the jokes in SBVSTBO to the ones in Atlantis SquarePantis. You'll notice a big difference, not only in the jokes, but also in the whole overall episode.

SpongeBob V.S. The Big One was well-written, in the sense that it's a post-Seasons 1-3 episode. It wasn't one of those specials that you just watch once and never watch again. It was the kind of special that you enjoy and want to share with your friends and family who haven't seen it.

What was really awesome about this episode was that there were no overly gross jokes in it. Now, that's how SpongeBob should be.

But, although I'm expressing how much I enjoy this episode, there are still some things about it that I didn't really care for:

One scene with JKL got kind of boring, but not boring enough for the rating to drop significantly. JKL, in most other cases, wasn't really that boring at all, thus my rating is still high.

The episode had a slight decrease in quality towards the end, but it quickly went back up to where it was before. Okay, that's enough of the stuff I don't like.

Altogether, this is really a great episode and it should be rated better. It could even be a sign that the show is going to improve, so it's best to think positive of it.

Oh, one more thing I almost forgot to menition:

The episode plot interested me so much when it was revealed that I just had to watch the audio recording of it that I found (thanks to a link that a thread on this site had). I really enjoyed the additional parts they showed that were exclusive to the dialouge recording.

Final episode grade: B+
  • Get your surfing boards, we're reviewing Spongebob vs The Big One!

This special is about Spongebob, Patrick, and the others getting stranded on an island. And it's pretty bland indeed. So, did this episode swim, got bittern, or eaten by a shark? It got eaten by a shark, meaning it's a horrible dreaded ScumBob episode! Of course it's bad, people! It's a Season 4+ episode! Like any other new episode, there are no good jokes, horrible animation, and the plot was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb! Please do not watch this, or any episode above Season 3!
  • ugghh, another overrated, new spongebob special

weak jokes, weak plot, celebrity cameo, yup its a modern spongebob special. This episode is boring, theres no humor, and nothing happens throughout the special.
  • It's spongebob squarepants 10 years anniversary, well a way to celebrate it, is with a very special episode. Swept out to sea by a giant wave, SpongeBob and pals must learn to surf or be stranded on a remote island forever!

well eventhough this special isnt great as spongebob superb episodes, this special is way better than "WhoBob WhatPants?" and "Atlantis SquarePantis"
    this special is entertaining, and silly (duh! its spongebob), funny and charming, just like the old spongebob.

plus this episode feature johnny deep, yes johnny deep!
    johnny deep done a really good job voicing "JKL"

the episode has some really good animation too, plus the effects are awesome. gags are funny, and not really dumb at all and not forgettable. kudos the animator and writers and the crews for this special

bottom line is you should watch this special, its entertaining and funny in silly approach
  • Great, but is missing something...

I thought this was a both great and both a little bad in both ways. I was very angry for one that this was only a 30 minute speacil. I mean, they advertised this like crazy. This could have been at least a hour. They should have added more detail in. But oh well, I think it's ok. The plot was very interesting. It was cool they put in some new characters like Twitch. Althought, I didn't find him too funny. Johnny Depp played a good job with his voice part. Mr. Krabs kind of creeped me out in this episode thought. So pretty good episode, but could have been longer. B+
  • This is a bad special which is now Dadanyahan.

2.7
    SpongeBob and his friends are suddenly swept away out of Bikini Bottom after a big wave hits. Now to get back home, with the help of Jack Kahuna Laguna, SpongeBob and his friends must ride The Big One.

This episode should have been an 11 minute episode instead of a special.

I liked some parts, but the majority of this episode was boring. JKL was so cruel in this episode. If JKL just teached them right away, there will be no problems for this episode!

And lastly, Sandy, Mr. Krabs, and the Flying Dutchman shouldn't have appeared in this episode because they ruined it.
  • Terrible

This is, without a doubt, the worst special of Spongebob, and one of my least favorites of the series. In it, Spongebob and the gang get sucked out by a storm, and are all spread out throughout the ocean, Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward are on a deserted island in the ocean, Sandy is on a different island and discovers a way to save Spongebob and Patrick, and Mr. Krabs is stuck in the middle of the ocean. The whole storyline was bland, there were no laughs, and Johnny Depp as J.K. L. was the only good thing about the whole episode. 2/10 F-
  • Abysmal

this episode was very abysmal so this one will receive a 1 out of 10

• Great!

SpongeBob and his friends are suddenly swept away out of Bikini Bottom after a big wave hits. Now to get back home, with the help of JKL, SpongeBob and his friends must ride the big one. I had high hopes for this episode and they didn't let me down at all. So it starts off as Spongebob,patrick and Squid at the K K. Then it gets to hot so they go to the beach... Ok I won't spoil the rest incase you haven't seen it but, overall I thought this was a great special episode and it met my expectations.
  • Not expected, yet expected?

We have all seen that lately S[pngeBob SquarePants has been, "Floating out to Sea" But this episode shows it may be coming back.
    By this I mean they are losing there cassic touch to the show. Though this show has a better plot then usual, (for the new shows) and it also has a star appearence, Jhonny Depp. Where as another special, Atlantis Squarepantis had a guest star, David Bowie Is anyone else seeing the change?
    Well back to the episode. I loved the Plot. Swifted away by a wave and lost on island. JKL Has to teach SpongeBob Patrick, and Squidward how to surf, and the only wave that will take them back to the Goo Lagoon is "The Big One"
    They ride the wave, but one must be sacraficed, And the One was, JKL. Who jumped into the wave to save Mr. Krabs "Cashey" (His cash register)
    Yet JKL did not die, He met the gang back at the Goo Lagoon, With cashey in his hands.
    The whole gang had a party, and the episode ended then and there.
  • What the heck is wrong with this episode? Good special since Atlantis Squarepantis.

I wish people would stop complaining about these specials! Nothing wrong with this one! Also, if you disagree with me because I said I liked Atlantis Squarepantis, yer a n00b. Why say that? I'm mostly talking about the Big One.

SB VS. TBO: Pretty good special. Also a good job with some key characters. Since my SCITS review sounded offensive, this review is more to what SB fans think. Okay, Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward meet the greatest surfer ever named JKL, what they learned is to keep breathing, and stare at the fire. One problem was that only one will not return alive.

Favorite Parts: JKL(hard to remember his name) risked his life from the big one to save Spongebob and co., along with Mr. Krabs' cash register and lived.

Least Favorite Parts: Mr. Krabs is revealed to risk his life for his money! Mr. Krabs, I know being cheap is your thing, but at least risk a dollar!

If you think the previous three were good, yer awesome!

C+( Give me a B writers!)
  • Alright,I think the episode was okay.

Spongebob and all of his friends are stuck in the middle of a island and get help by a dude played by Johnny Depp.

This episode should had been a movie for some matter.That's what kind of angers me.And another part that was kind of bad was Sandy's helicopter.That part is harsh and the question I'm asking is this:Where the heck would Sandy find that ELECTRICITY?!It's kind of like that it will never happen in reality.

Now for some of the best parts is when they show that part with the dudes teaching Spongebob and Patrick to surf.That part was kind of funny.But good for me.

I kind of like this episode.It's kind of good.Grade C.
  • Time-filling

I thought this was a big time-filler. I've only seen it like once and cannot remember anything. So it was definitely bland. Not very funny. It didn't have an interesting plot. Johnny Depp, to me, was one of those guest stars that shows get just to try to get in better viewers then usual. So, I think this is one of the worser episodes of the show. It was just a lame excuse for a plot and there was basically little to no humor. As well as it being bland, this is one of several episodes that makes me want classic Spongebob to come back
  • What?

*Sigh*

I want to like it...but I just don't have it in me!
    I don't see why it they had to have Jonny Depp in there?,He didn't bring anything of great interest and the over all plotting was just plain weird.
    Like why did Sandy have to come with them?
    IT just took up space that could've been used more productively and while I'm at it...why was Mr. Kradds story line even there?
    That would have given them 6-8 minutes more time to do thing like!

1.Give the SB,Squidy Pat more time on the river.
    2.Set up some good jokes - and that's something it really needed!

That would at least have made it a little more watchable and not so boring-up your game writers and don't waste screen time on these useless subplots, please!
  • And I was looking forward to this???!?!?!

This episode should be re-titled: "Spongebob Messy Pants." It was a complete mess from start to finish. There was no rhyme or reason to it. The only decent part was at the beginning when Mr. Krabs decides to take his crew out on a wave to sell krabby patties and of course, Patrick, ends up steering them into trouble. But after that, the episode steers into deeper trouble. Nothing flowed, as the title might indicate. The big one came and went and the viewers are left saying, "Huh? What just happened?" Spongebob, Patrick and Squidward go off in one direction on an island inhabited by hippie fish that have annoying characteristics, twitching and muttering. Sandy ends up by herself on another island and does a "Gilligan's Island" routine where she single-handedly sets up a new life for herself including a 5 star hotel. Mr. Krabs is left drifting at sea clinging to the love of his life, his cash register. One wonders throughout the whole mess, when is the Big One coming? It finally comes at the end when JKL, Johnny Depp's character comes along just in time to teach the threesome how to surf to get back to Bikini Bottom. They do so and are met by a cheering crowd (who, by the way, had no idea they were even missing)..and then Spongebob is tossed a guitar so he can sing along with the band of hippie-fish that found their way to Bikini Bottom. One is left wondering, "What just happened here?" The only satisfying thing about the episode was the popcorn I ate while choking through a horrible 30 minutes.
  • Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Yes, almost worse then Atlantis Squarepantis

Isn't it ironic the episode is fine until Twitch and JKL appear?

Probably. Now this Spongebob episode was one that struck me weird. They got Davy jones and Johnny Depp to play. Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some more butt kiss 'bob episodes!

Lets admit it, Spongebob is dead. Nothing can revive it now, probably. Not even appearances from David Bowie or Johnny Depp. I wasn't expecting this at all to be good. But whatever.

So we see Spongebob selling some patties on another greedy Mr. Krabs scheme when they all get hit by a wave and get stranded. The episode is fine until this point. Now we see Twitch trying to guide them back to Bikini Bottom. They tell him to go to JKL. Now, first LRH now JKL? What the hell is with these guest character abbreviations?

After a shameful horrible stick in of "Beeline for the treeline," we finally see a... something come out of a hut. No, the house isn't growing a .... It's JKL giant surfboard, because as we know giant surfboards symbolize incredible surfers. He teaches them to surf back on the Big one and gets eaten. What a horrible character. But no! He's alive even though he said someone had to get sacrificed. Epic fail.
  • Wonderful episode

This was one of the gratest episodesbut i dont know if it makes my top ten.It was alot of funny moments like squidward saying who are you to sandy!And Sandy opening up a five star restaurant!!!Anyway the big one was pretty brave sacrificing himself for spongebob and his friends.He did look a little weird and his voice!Anyway this special was awsome exspecially the patrick fat joke!While being a smidge underrated it 9is still a great episode in my eyes.

rng vj v vjb vjbj vj jbv v b jvbnv j bvjgjnb jb b bj vj b vj bj bj b
  • I bought the dvd too, and it rocked!

Spongebob and Squidward were hot at work so Mr.Krabs took his buisness to Goo Lagoon. Then a wave comes up and Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, Sandy wash up on a island (but Sandy's not with them), and Mr.krabs was in the middle of Dutchman's triangle. So Spongebob finds surfers who were washed up on the island and they told them a legendary surfer named JKL (Jack Kahuna Laguna) can get help them get back home.
    This was an awesome special. My favorite parts was when Patrick was staring at JKL and said 'I kinda like staring at him' and the Davy Jones Locker part.
  • I'm seriously not kidding when I say this: The Best SpongeBob special ever!

I was impressed by this episode. Of course, it had a few bad things, such as Sandy being on a seperate island than them, but other than that mistake it was a perfect episode. It was a little rushed, yes, but it was still great, and definetly not as rushed as WhoBob WhatPants. Even my best friend (who BTW, is obsessed with SpongeBob) agrees with me that it's an awesome special. I loved the scene where all they did was stare at the fire. That was hilarious. Also, I liked this quote; JKL: "They call it the big one." Patrick: "Hey! That's what they used to call me!" There were many other funny parts of this episode, but I'm just too lazy to list the rest. And guess what, guys? We got an old writer back! Paul Tibbit wrote this episode, which was his first one in a while since MM and BB 6, I think. Anyway, I think it was an awesome special, and personally, it was the best special I've ever seen!
  • Cant wait to see it!

I saw the commercial a lot of times. I better not be disappointed (like I was with dunces and dragons and have you seen this snail?). It had better be good. The plot sounds pretty good. I hear spongebob and his friends get stranded on some strange island, and they learn that the only way back is to surf there. But, spongebob and his friends dont know how to surf, and some guy called "the big one" (one of my favorite actors johnny depp is guest staring!). But one of them will not return. Who will it be, or will everyone make it back there? Find out on april 17th at 8/7 central. It had better be good.
  • Pretty cool special!

I thought this SpongeBob special was awesome! It was a great finale to season 6! SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward get trapped on a deserted island with a guy named JKL, and to go back to Bikini Bottom, they have to surf a wave known as the Big One. I thought it was pretty epic, and I never expected JKL to come back after he sacrificed himself. I also thought it was kind of weird when the flying dutchman met that actual guy under goo lagoon. I really loved this awesome special and would like to see more specials like this.
  • Not one of my favorites at all, but average, not that great. 8(

Personally, I thought this speacial was pretty stupid. I cannot believe that it was only a 30 minute specia;, it could have been 1 hour a least! The writers could have done a lot better with this episode. The plot was kinda cheesy to me, and Sandy randomly appearing in the beginning was kinda out of the blue, but whatever. The only funny part was when Mr. Krabs said, "Either buy a patty, or get off me wave!" And another funny part was when Squidward was like to Sandy, "Who are you?" He was pretending not to know her. lol. But it was weird how Dutchman couldn't reckognise Mr. Krabs, and he's seen him like a hundred times.
  • This has been bugging me a while, but I gotta do it. This is called a CRITICAL REVIEW. I will be analyzing it without any objectives at all. This episode had potential, but it was never met among other things that I will discuss in this review.

Spongebob vs. The Big One. My God how annoying it became. I'll admit I'm not real huge on SB. I've found some quite good, but this episode changed my opinion completly. First off this episode felt quite rushed. The episode moved from Bob, Pat, and Squid to Sandy, to Krabs so fast it was hard to keep up. It was like they wrote it and recorded it all on speed. Second was the plot holes. Since it moved so fast, a lot of the plot was left out. Like......well there was to many to name. It was like some let Micheal Bay write the script. All it was missing was massive explosions. There were plenty of things they could've done to this episode. First get rid of the subplots involving Sandy and Mr. Krabs. They weren't really necessary to the episode at all. Second make it a hour long episode. This would've provided ample time to fix the plot holes and focus more and Bob, Pat, and Squid's training to get off the Island. That's really it. Now about my score.... Now the episode alone deserves a solid 5 by itself, but I can't give it that. This solely is because of Nick's marketing campaign for it. The ads were ok. It was the fact they had a solid weekend devoted to it and all they did was cram it down our throats. I swear every other episode was this episode. It was ridiculous.

So, in the end, Spongebob vs. The Big One, it all of its lackluster glory, deserves a 1. Nothing else.
  • Amazing special, one of the best ones ever! It doesn't deserve those low ratings.

Oh yes! All hail what can mark the big comeback of heaven's little wonder that is SpongeBob SquarePants! First of all: great, original plot. I really liked how they remembered Sandy existed and tried to give her a spot of the episode, that was good, she is always great in my opinion. Also liked most of Mr. Krabs's parts, specially when he realized he was on Dutchman's Triangle, and that eerie music played while the background turns into pink jelly, I always lol at that part! Twitch and the other surfer dudes were great minor characters on the episode. But the best debut character was none other than Jack Kahuna Laguna. Johnny Depp did a fantastic job voicing him *applauds* Loved Davy Jones's appearance, I really wasn't expecting that "for a daydream believer and a homecoming queen" xD Liked the song "Down the River" too, there's something soothing about it "I make a beeline for the tree line" nice. Overall, one of the best post-movie episodes and special, great humor, all the characters were great. I just love it!
  • Spongebob SquarePants Vs. The Big One: It's a very hot day at the Krusty Krab so Mr Krabs takes everyone to the beach. After a massive wave SB, Mr K, Squidward, Sandy and Patrick get washed in different direction and the only way to get back is to surf.

Spongebob Squarepants Vs. The Big One: Why all the low scores this special is in my opinion the best special since Where's gary (Better than Dunces and Dragons, Friend or Foe, Atlantis Squarepantis, Pest of the west and WhoBob WhatPants) The idea of this episode is so new and fresh and all the characters are hilarious. I loved the song when they were on the surf boards and Johnny Depp's Character is great. The Flying Dutchman makes (His only Season 6) apperance which is great. But by far the best part is when Dutchy sank to the bottom of the sea and met Davie Jones (From the Monkeys) Spongebob Squarepants Vs. The Big One: 9.0
  • I thought it was half good half bad.

It was a lot better than Who Bob What Pants, and most of the other specials. I hope the directors learn to make more episodes with better plots and jokes like this. I mostly thought it was OK, but still an awesome episode compared to the newer ones they're making. Though JKL Didn't really sound a lot like Johnny Depp. Most of the funny parts has to do with JKL. I'm hoping to get the DVD soon. The most funny part in my opinion was the Davy Jones part with the live-action person. Some others might think this special was really bad, but I thought it was great.
  • A Letdown...

Okay, erm, let's see. Here are some things that im quite happy with:
    -Pirate guy (Johnny Depp) appears in this show which is unusual but cool at the same time.
    -I could easily see the plot in this episode
    -There were some comedy that made me laugh
    The once that i was really disappointed with:
    -Really Boring
    -there's not much point in this whole episode
    -I thought they were going to make a new spongebob song in the end ):
    -I found in the ending a little too rush plus i wish that the surf guru died. That's the meaning of sacrifice.
    Yea, so if you hate spongebob or somewhat going to, recommended not to watch this episode. Sorry spongebob.
< 1 2