SpongeBob SquarePants

Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Jul 14, 2009 on Nickelodeon

• perfect

In honor of the show's 10th anniversary, this documentary chronicles SpongeBob SquarePants' rise to international pop culture icon status, along with its impact on people across the globe. That includes children everywhere, President Barack Obama, and the inmates at San Quentin who enjoy singing the show's theme song. A performance by Avril Lavigne, and a commentary from creator Stephen Hillenburg, cast and crew members, and celebrity fans such as LeBron James, Ricky Gervais, and Rosario Dawson is also featured.

10 out of 10

• The greatest documentary that I have ever seen.

I don't usually watch documentaries but since I am a die hard SpongeBob fan, I wanted to watch it which aired on Nick@Nite. I thought it was great when they were showing how they make the storyboards for "SpongeBob SquarePants" and how the cast do their voicing. It was cool to see that there were some celebrities talking about SpongeBob such as Rosario Dawson, Whoopi Goldberg, David Hasselhoff, and a few more. The cast was also discussing about how everyone thinks that SpongeBob and Patrick are gay they see it but they need to stop showing SpongeBob being gay in the episodes and I hope it stops. It is amazing how everyone around the world show all of their dedication to SpongeBob. SpongeBob is such a wildly popular cartoon and I was extremely amazed when I saw all of that such as the prisoners singing the Spongebob theme song, and people getting tattoos of SpongeBob. Ernest Borgnine looks exactly like MermaidMan and I was amazed and I can see why they picked him as MermaidMan. First of all, Ernest Borgnine has been an actor for a long long long time. Second of all, Ernest Borgnine does the voice of MermaidMan because he knows that SpongeBob is the most honoring, most popular cartoon of all time. I really hope that SpongeBob lasts for a long long long time and if he ever got canceled... I would be crushed (literally). Congratulations to everyone's work on the documentary. Overall, the best documentary that I have ever seen. 10/10
  • Perfect. Just a perfect episode for 10th anniversery. Talking about the actors, about guests stars, ETC!

Perfect. Just a perfect episode for 10th anniversery. Talking about the actors, about guests stars, ETC! It talks about how spongebob, the show was created, talks about the writers, And WHO could ever forget the actors? Don't forget about the director, and guest stars, Such as the king of atlantis. Today it's the 11th anniversery!! Well, the 11th anniversery happened 2 months ago, but still! This episode Is great for people to know more about spongebob! Let me say this again: Perfect. Just a perfect episode for 10th anniversery. Talking about the actors, about guests stars, ETC! Mario620, Going OUT!
  • A very revealing and upbeat documentary!

I got to say, this documentary was awesome! It really it a fantastic job covering SpongeBob's history from its beginning to pop culture icon status. One of the things I was really glad about this documentary is that we finally get to hear from Stephen Hillenburg ever since his departure after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (and those rumors of him leaving are sadly confirmed). I also liked how they weren't afraid to cover SpongeBob's gay controversy, since I know it was a big issue that starting arising during the show's peak. However, I was a little suprised that the show's cast, crew, and analysts somewhat supported it, but okay. Anyway, this special featured a lot of intriguing facts and never-before-seen backstage home videos that made this even more of a "special." I thought it was really funny how the prison guard at San Quentin has the inmates sing the theme song, or the child who went down the sewers to watch SpongeBob, or the Burger King balloon heist (I remember hearing about that during the time). It was also groundbreaking how we got to see celebrities' opinions of the show like LeBron James, Craig Ferguson, Alec Baldwin (etc) and other enthusiasts such as the CEO of DreamWorks Animation. Also, we gotta love the fact that SpongeBob SquarePants is President Barack Obama's favorite TV character! And wow, I thought I had too much SB merchandise, check out that woman with all those SB tattoos whose room is loaded with SB things! I have never felt prouder to call myself a SpongeBob fan and happy 10th anniversary (and 25th birthday) little yellow guy who's endlessly soaking up popularity around the world!
  • One of the best documentaries I've ever seen (although others are dull and boring).

From this, I learned a lot about Spongebob that I've never knew. I didn't know Stephen Hillenburg quit and put Paul Tibbitt in charge until I first saw this. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be, but it was still the best it could be (especially for a documentary like this). I liked how they interveiwed the cast and crew and also let some celebrities give their positive opinions about Spongebob and his friends. I also liked how they arranged the events.

Overall, I thought this was great for a documentary.
    I think it best deserves an A+. Best it could be.
  • Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants: This is a Documentary commemorating Spongebob SquarePants.

Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants: Some Documentaries are bor ing and give out "Interesting" Facts. But this documentary is great very informative covering all sort of subjects. From extreme fans to Spongebob being gay which I never thought they would of shown. I also find it great to see how the voice actors record there voices. I must admit some parts dragged but overall this is possibly the greatest documentary. Definatley for one time watchers of Spongebob and hard core fans (AKA. Woman with Spongebob tattoos lol)

Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants: A well deserving 9.2
  • Perfect SpongeBob documentary.

When I heard of this documentary, I thought it would be awesome, there was no writing needed, it was just basically interviews of the cast and crew. And it was! Just like I expected! I already knew about most of the people who voice acted and wrote spongebob and stuff like that, but I learned more about them. And it showed some ultimate spongebob fans that I can relate to. I just can't get over how much I love this documentary. This is the first time I've really got to know about the extened story of spongebob. Just amazing! Wow!
  • Great Documentery

I loved this documentery!Obvioulsy they were trying to hide it from kids,due to the whole gay thing with spongebob.Meeeting the voices of the beloved charecters on this show was awesome and just seeing how they make these episodes and charecters was great aswell.The famouse basketball players appearence was intresting (he`s evrywhere nowadays).Them talking about the spongebob gay rumors was very brave and bold(nick actually let them!).I know it was pretty d@@@ hard for them to talk about it,as it was their own charecter,creation,show being insulted and mocked.I do think Spongbob is atleast Bisexual!He`s a fictional charecter so idk!Well.....all in all,a truly great documentury.
  • One of the few documentaries I can actually watch.

Okay, so first of all, I really hate documentaries unless they're about something interesting to me. Otherwise, I get extremely bored. This wasn't one of those boring ones, however. It was actually quite interesting to me.

I never imagined that inmates would actually be singing the SpongeBob theme song. When I saw that, I was thinking, "What the heck? Wow." Then I laughed a little.

There were other things I'd never have guessed in this documentary and also some that I already knew. But most of it was, in fact, stuff I didn't know, and that's one of the things that kept it interesting.

If you ever get a chance to watch this documentary, you should. You could learn quite a lot from doing so.

Final grade: A-
  • Thanks, SpongeBob, for 10 years of maximum awesomeness!

All hail SpongeBob! And this is exactly what this documentary made us shout! This was so good, I could even get emotional! lol, it made me feel so glad and happy of being a SpongeBob SquarePants fan, even more than ever! It was really informational and highly entertaining, and even funny! I loved seeing Stephen Hillenburg talk widely about the show for the first time after the movie, glad to know he's still alive :roll: I'm a big fan of the whole voice acting thing, and this documentary didn't let me down on that field, loved seeing Tom Kenny, Rodger Bumpass, Mr. Lawrence and even Ernest Borgnine! I like seeing professionals evaluate the show, and do it on a positive way, helps me bring the point of "Hey, World, SpongeBob is amazing" easier. The looks at the many SpongeBob references in pop culture was amazing, some times we forget of how popular this show is. I wa spretty surprised they discussed the whole gay controversy, but I guess it's part of the show's humor, but I was surprised. Overall, this was a television treat, too good, I can't wait to see it at least 10 more times! Thanks for making this! Let's make MORE now! =D
  • This is one of the best documentaries I have ever watched! A SpongeBob one at that!

This documentary was a good one hour special. This revealed a lot of secrets of SpongeBob and the crew that works on it. This documentary was cool for how they showed how much the voice actors and the crew love to work on the show. The lady with the tats was weird but awesome at the same time. A lot of Squidward's fans come from jails or prisons. The funny part about this documentary is that they put funny clips right after a certain part of a documentary to go with it. Like for instance after revealing that SpogneBob and Patrick had a "Gay"scene they showed the clip of where SpongeBob and Patrick were hugging each other with each others own color on their underwear.

Everyone always looked happy whenever they got a new season to make. I love how the crew loves working on the SpongeBob series which is great. I also found out that Patchy IS SpongeBob's number one fan.

All in all this was a good documentary and I enjoyed every minute of it it offered. I hope they release this on DVD, I would so be willing to buy it!
  • Cool documentary!

This documentary made an awful lot of sense. It actually said everything I knew about Sponge Bob, except I didn't know Borack Obama was a Sponge Bob fan, didn't remember that teenagers stole a Sponge Bob balloon and put it on top of Burger King, and why does a jail manager tell inmates to sing the theme song? I was like lol wtf? They even told us how they do storyboard. Ecxept, I've gotta admit, how come they mentioned the Sponge Bob being gay thing? That wasn't too nescessary. The thing that made more interest was that they got the actors, writers, and the most important creator, Stephen Hillenburg! Also, the coincidence is, the documentary aired on Spongey's birthday! Happy 23rd birthday Sponge Bob!!! I gave you a present... a fork!
  • Awesome documentary! Spoilers!

I saw it online, luckily. It was a great and informal documentary with long lost and unused footage. Too bad it prevented kids to see it because it mentioned adult shows, and used the words gay and h******ual. But hey, it was a great footage. First we peek in the reason Spongebob became a phenomomon since 1999. We also see interviews from the cast, writers, the creator himself, the voice director, and people who worked for Nickelodeon, also some famous people. We also see random SB clips and footage from Spongebob fans, and Stephen's old comic strips. Then, we see two biggest secrets: First one: Spongebob considered a h******ual agenda.(I totally disagree with that, so don't get me wrong)Lastly, Stephen's decision after the movie: will the show go on without Steve? He decided to step up and give the job to Paul Tibbit. It went on, and on, and the crew still had fun with running the show. It showed Spongebob's worldwide appearances and different languages, and other sorts of important news on our favorite sea sponge. At the end, Squidward's clip wraps it up: "Boy, I'm glad that's over." Very informal and exciting documentary. By the way, Happy Tenth Anniversary Spongebob Squarepants!

A+(does not count as a favorite episode).
  • All I can say is awesome!

This special was one of the best things I've seen out of SpongeBob. I mean it told me many new things that I didn't know before. I really enjoyed all of the interviews with the cast and crew of SpongeBob. I also liked how they tackled a lot of things that this show has gone through, including those stupid gay rumors, which surprised me, actually. But for some reason, I laughed when Tom Kenny said he loved the gay rumors. I don't know why. But I laughed out loud at the American Idol scene, even though I've seen it before. This special actually made me love SpongeBob even more, which I didn't think was possible. But it did! And now I can say that I am honored to be a SpongeBob fan, not that I wasn't before! This is definetly something I'd recommend to anyone whose a SpongeBob fan! Final Grade: Definetly an A+. Teen_Tomboy, out!