SpongeBob SquarePants

Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Jul 14, 2009 on Nickelodeon

• A very revealing and upbeat documentary!

I got to say, this documentary was awesome! It really it a fantastic job covering SpongeBob's history from its beginning to pop culture icon status. One of the things I was really glad about this documentary is that we finally get to hear from Stephen Hillenburg ever since his departure after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (and those rumors of him leaving are sadly confirmed). I also liked how they weren't afraid to cover SpongeBob's gay controversy, since I know it was a big issue that starting arising during the show's peak. However, I was a little suprised that the show's cast, crew, and analysts somewhat supported it, but okay. Anyway, this special featured a lot of intriguing facts and never-before-seen backstage home videos that made this even more of a "special." I thought it was really funny how the prison guard at San Quentin has the inmates sing the theme song, or the child who went down the sewers to watch SpongeBob, or the Burger King balloon heist (I remember hearing about that during the time). It was also groundbreaking how we got to see celebrities' opinions of the show like LeBron James, Craig Ferguson, Alec Baldwin (etc) and other enthusiasts such as the CEO of DreamWorks Animation. Also, we gotta love the fact that SpongeBob SquarePants is President Barack Obama's favorite TV character! And wow, I thought I had too much SB merchandise, check out that woman with all those SB tattoos whose room is loaded with SB things! I have never felt prouder to call myself a SpongeBob fan and happy 10th anniversary (and 25th birthday) little yellow guy who's endlessly soaking up popularity around the world!