SpongeBob SquarePants

The Abrasive Side / Earworm

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Nov 27, 2010 on Nickelodeon

• Both episodes are terrible

I don't mean to offend anyone who may have liked at least one of these episodes, but I honestly think that BOTH are terrible. Both episodes are about SpongeBob having a "problem", where he gets a song stuck in his head or can't say no. These plots have been done before in other shows; an episode of Regular Show had the same plot as SpongeBob's song problem with Rigby only it wasn't called "Musical Doodle" it was called "It's Summer Time". And the plot about him not being able to say no? I'm pretty sure that plot's been done before too. I just can't name an example. If you can, please tell me!

0/10, the first episode had such a terrible ending is a good reason why. And by the way DreadAngelus I thought the moral to that episode was "Don't go trying to be something you're not" well that's what Sandy said anyway. But I still hate these episodes for being annoying and pointless.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 2 (originally posted last year on September 29): Nick has an upcoming show called Breadwinners that airs in 20 days. Today I found the pilot on YouTube and showed it to my family. EVERYONE HATED IT! They all said it was the worst thing they'd seen in their lives. And that includes The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (2012), Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale (2006), and Rabbids Invasion. So I won't be surprised when Breadwinners gets a 1.9 just like Marvin Marvin here at and Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale at IMDb. My Aunt said I should rate it as low as possible just to get the score down. Unfortunately, the lowest one can rate is 1, unless you are a prolific author. I have been working on that for months (6 plus months), so I can rate stuff like Marvin Marvin, Fred: The Show, and The Oogieloves a 0.0. Breadwinners is next on my "to rate 0.0 once I can" list.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 18: Breadwinners premiered yesterday. I have reviewed it. It's bad but not as bad as Sanjay and Craig.

• Abrasive Side is good, Earworm is really annoying.

5.5
    Abrasive side, had some bad messages in morals. Sandy. Brainwashing SB to maintain his weak attitude so she can take advantage of him as long as she wants to. I actually somewhat liked the concept of this episode, he bought an abrasive side of his own so they can stop taking advantage of him (well he really needs it), and the way his abrasive side talks, it's really funny IMO.

Earworm, really annoying if you ask me, after hearing a song, he can't stop singing and dancing with the rhythm. And while singing around, he causes trouble on his job and anything. It's caused by the "Earworm" inside his brain. This episode, is really annoying, and there is no good humor to back it up! What I liked in this episode is it's ending, Squidward got the earworm, he starts to sing around and then he broke down. Somewhat funny for me.
  • Great ones!

The Abrasive Side: Very funny, and loved the fact that they brought back Spongebob's Grandma and a Glove World reference. I hope they bring back Glove World again in another episode sometime in the future. The Abrasive Side of Spongebob was very funny, and the Larry insult was my favorite. The episode was a little boring at times, but was overall a success. The only thing I didn't get was why did Spongebob's Grandma get the Abrasive Side in the end. I guess she decided to order one too! :P
    8.5/10
    Earworm: Awesome episode with the ultra-catchy "Musical Doodle" song that went along with this episode. The episode got a little fuzzy on the script in the middle, especially at the end when Spongebob had an ACTUAL Earmworm in his ear when it was only supposed to be a musical "earworm". Doesn't really effect the episode though. I thought this was a lot more of a fun episode than the Abrasive Side.
    9/10
    Deranged Lemur, OVER AND OUT!
  • One was Fantastic The other eh... average

The Abrasive Side: this episode was Hilarious! i liked it so much i thought it was funny to see spongebob talk mean to people with his new abrasive face. but my favorite was when Mr Krabs kicked spongebob out for saying FREE!

Final Grade 11/10 A++++

Earworm: decent but nowhere near as funny as The Abrasive Side Because Spongebob's song got way too repetive after the second time as well as annoying I did like how spongebob wrote doodle all over the kitchen wall that was Hilarious Overall Average episode.

Final Grade 6.8/10 C-

• The Abrasive Side: Gary orders Spongebob an "Abrasive Side" to help him say no to everyone, but it takes over. Earworm: Spongebob gets a song stuck in his head and he can't get it out.

The Abrasive Side

I found this episode to be great, much better compared to it's partner. The jokes were fresh and I loved that they had lots of call backs to older episodes (Grandma - Grandma's Kisses, Glove World - Rock Bottom, "I Wouldn't hang out with you for all the money in Krabs' mattress" - The Lost Mattress) The plot was fresh as with many other season 7 episodes, I found it to be sort of like Overbooked but they managed to change it. Everyone was in character and I found Mr Krabs to be surprisingly funny in this episode. So it's a great episode that has great characterization, jokes and something we don't usually see in Spongebob: continuity.

Score for The Abrasive Side: B+, 4/5, 8.5/10, Amazing Earworm

This one was kind of a let down, It wasn't bad I just thought it lacked something. The song was catchy (I found myself humming it) but I did think that after Spongebob got the song stuck in his head the writers couldn't think of an idea for the ending so they just introduced a real "Earworm". The ending was quite good but still the episode wasn't that great. I liked that they had Sandy (In both episodes) and she played quite a big roll. So it was not bad not great just a fairly average/good episode from the seventh season.

Score for Earworm: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good
  • perfect

Earworm: SpongeBob gets the song "Musical Doodle" stuck in his head, and can't stop singing it.The Abrasive Side: SpongeBob gets a product that can say "no" to others when they ask him for favors.

10 out of 10

• The first episode was hypocritical, and the second episode was annoying.

"Abrasive Side" had a good premise at first. Nobody likes being taken advantage of, and some people feel that the only way to fix the problem is trying to change their personality.

Well...that doesn't really work, and it shows in this episode.

People keep taking advantage of SpongeBob in this episode, so Gary orders him an abrasive side to try and make him more assertive. Unfortunately, the mean-spirited abrasive side begins to take over, and SpongeBob learns that he doesn't need to be a jerk to be assertive.

There was one big thing wrong with this episode: I didn't like how it was Sandy who told SpongeBob that his personality was fine the way it was. In case you've forgotten, Sandy is just as guilty of taking advantage of poor SpongeBob as anyone else in the episode (except Squidward and Patrick). From this perspective, it seems like Sandy is saying SpongeBob's personality is fine the way it is: a weak, passive personality that she can continue to manipulate and use for her own (often trivial) needs. Is that a good message? No, of course not!

In the end, nothing changed. SpongeBob never really learned how to say "no." And because Sandy (one of his manipulators) said he was fine the way he is, he probably won't anytime soon.

"Earworm" was just obnoxious. Nobody wants to hear an annoying song over and over again, let alone hear SPONGEBOB sing an annoying song over and over again. Enough said.

• I liked the first one, but the second one got on my nerves!

Okay, I admit it--they're trying a little harder to irritate the ever loving hell out of me. The first one I liked due to the sheer number of callbacks to older episodes (Grandma--Grandma's Kisses, Sandy asking Spongebob for Karate practice--harkens back to the one early episode where Spongebob is addicted to Karate...can't place the name...and The Lost Mattress). That was the only reason why I liked this episode really.

I award it a C+ for effort, but it still panders to the old folks a little.

...but the SECOND one?

I couldn't get it out of my head the first time, and Spongebob's new high voice singing the song over and over ad infinitum did not help at all. The ending was predictable and rather weird, you almost felt sorry for Squidward, him having to listen to it as many times as we did.

So I award this half an F- for irritability...
  • I loved both of the episodes but I thought "Earworm" was little better.

The Abrasive Side: I loved this episode and I thought the idea of this episode was funny. I would have given this a 10 but the beginning of this episode kind of bugged me, when everyone just cut through SpongeBob and when Patrick went to Glove World without SpongeBob. I was mad at Patrick for that because why doesn't he just wait in line instead of Spongebob? Then, Patrick will see how it feels. I also thought Sandy's favor could've wait because all SpongeBob had to do is make an acorn smoothie or something like that and Mr. Krabs' favor as well. I thought SpongeBob insulting everyone such as Patrick, Sandy, Squidward, Larry the Lobter, and Spongebob's grandma was funny. It was good to see SpongeBob's grandma again and I hope she appears more in the future. It was also funny when SpongeBob was holding onto Patrick's shorts while getting his abrasive side off and then Patrick gets a wedgie after that. Overall, despite the beginning, this was a superb episode. 9.5/10

Earworm: This was a perfect episode but the title was misleading since the earworm was only in the last 2 or 3 minutes. I thought that song "Musical Doodle" was a very catchy song and I do understand why that song is stuck in SpongeBob's head. I thought Spongebob's face while the song has made him crazy was freaking me out just a little but it was really funny when I look passed that. Also, when Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Sandy were trying to help SpongeBob get the earworm out his head, I loved all of the songs that they sang. It was funny that the earworm got out of SpongeBob's head because Squidward playing the clarinet was terrible. It was also funny when Patrick ripped SpongeBob's mouth off. The ending with the earworm going inside Squidward's head was also very funny. Overall, this was a perfect and hilarious episode of Spongebob. 10/10
  • Awesome episode with good contunity!

The Abrasive Side

* Yay, Glove World is back (I know it returns in Tunnel of Glove as well).

* I like the concept of choosing the Right Choice.

* Grandma returns as well.

* Didn't need to see that..

* Sort of reminded me of Walking Small since Spongebob was trying to say No in that as well.

* Poor Grandma.

* I thought Mr. Krabs knew what Overtime meant, since that was mentioned in older episodes?

* Another contuinity reference with Spongebob saying," I wouldn't hang out with you for all the money in Krab's Mattress!"

* The Abrasive Side of Spongebob sure is an Ass. Reminds me of bullies at school.

* Can't he take it off?

* That is going to leave a mark.

* I laughed at Grandma's Abrasive Side.

Grade: B

(Off-Topic: Hell Yes, Power Rangers!)

Earworm

* I have to say, the song is pretty catchy. Now I have it stuck in my head..

* Run, Squidward!

* Musical Doodle needs to be turned off.

* Gary has everything under his shell.

* Musical Doodle has taken over the sea.

* I liked how Spongebob's teeth was a Radio.

* No Onions! The old fish made be chuckle a bit.

* Tape your mouth shut Spongebob.

* Bye Bye, Spongebob.

* The lyrics are starting to make me thing this song is programed to be stuck in your head..

* So they included both versions of an Earworm. A Song Earworm and a real Worm stuck in an Ear.

* Next.

* I just knew the Earworm would leave because of Squidward's Clarinet.

* ..But it isn't gone yet!

Grade: B

Overall: B
  • ♫♪Trying to stop it is futile....♫♪

Abrasive Side: So SB's day at Glove World with PAt is ruined cause he can't say no to anyone. Gary orders somep roduct form his thagt arrives almost immediately. You see the green thing that goes on the sponges? We'll he ordered That. It's an abraisve side to make psonges more badass. So he starts to say no, but soon the abraisve side takes over him and takes all decisions. In the end, they return it to the facotry, but SB's grandma gets one.

Earworm: So SB beomces addicted to a new song called Musical Doodle and it annyos everyne ni town. Later, Krbas says that if he doens't stop chanting the song, he'll get fired. SB tries but then remember's lyrics say "trying to stop it is futile"# and tries to use the song as a good thing, but it doens't work. so Sandy, Krabs, Pat & Squid stage an intervention. You see, SB has a worm n the head who is addicted to the song. The worm goes away when Squidward plays ihs clarinet.

Overall: A solid pair. Abraisve side was funnier, butr Earworm's osng is really well.. an earworm! 9/10.
  • Hilarious episodes, especially The Abrasive Side.

The Abrasive Side: I couldn't wait to see this episode when I saw the promos because it looked really funny, and I was not let down! It was interesting to see Spongebob with a different personality, and his insults were hilarious! The joke with Sandy telling Spongebob she had an emergency and then using him just to make an acorn smoothie was also funny, and I laughed hard at Mr. Krabs freaking out over the word "overtime." My favorite part, though, was the very end. That was classic! The only parts I didn't like were the joke about Patrick's thick skin and when the abrasive side was finally torn off of Spongebob. This was a great episode overall. Final grade: A-. Earworm was also very funny, but not as good. The title was very misleading to me since the earworm only appeared in the last minute or so of the episode. I thought it was hilarious how Spongebob couldn't get the song out of his head and how he went crazy and tried not hum it to himself. I also thought the ending was funny. The only part I cringed at was Patrick tearing Spongebob's lips off. My overall grade for this episode is a B+, and both episodes were great overall despite a couple cringeworthy moments. Marebear2009, out!
  • Very funny episodes

The abrasive side: When Spongebob can't say no to anyone, he orders a product called The Abrasive side. The abrasive side soon starts making rude comments to all of his friends, so He asks Patrick to get the abrasive side off of him. This episode was very funny. I loved Mr. Krabs freaking out over the word overtime. I also loved when Squidward hugged Spongebob.

The earworm: Spongebob cant get a new song out of his head, and its starting to get in the way of his work. He discovers he has an earworm, which makes him have the song stuck in his head. His friends try to get it out by playing new songs, but only Squidward's terrible clarinet playing can get it out.

These were both great and funny episodes. I loved the musical doodle song, and I loved how Sandy had a main role in every episode.

Overall Grade: 85%/B+
  • Great Episode!

I saw this episode somewhere on the internet. It was great! It started out with SpongeBob playing karate with Sandy (and it's been a while since they last have! I think the last episode that showed both SpongeBob and Sandy playing karate was Karate Island!) Sandy hits SpongeBob and he gets a pain in his belly. Sandy rushed SpongeBob to the hospital where the doctor told SpongeBob that he had an ear worm. The ear worm was hilarious because it always ruined everything a made fun of people. the best parts being with Patrick. Whenever the worm made fun of Patrick, Patrick burst into flames (legit, he did burst into flames, but sice it's a cartoon he didn't burn or anything.) and started attacking SpongeBob. In this episode, Patrick basically appeard in small parts to hurt SpongeBob. The episode ended when Patrick ripped the earworm out of SpongeBob and tossed it far far away. Funny Episode!