SpongeBob SquarePants

The Splinter / Slide Whistle Stooges

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM Jun 02, 2008 on Nickelodeon

4.9
  • Gross!

This episode (The Splinter) makes me puke in my mouth.
  • episode should be lower than 5.0

This is possibly the worst episode in the whole series. The inflated thumb is so disgusting and i couldn't believe they wrote this episode for a KIDS show!! And i'm the only one in my family that hates this episode!!! This episode should be banned.
  • Disgusting

2.5
    What? Is this supposed to be funny? Because if it is, the writers need to take some comedy classes. Random gross out is NOT FUNNY! IT'S GROSS! And Patrick is a HUUUUGE IDIOT! He SLAMS the splinter in SpongeBob's finger, because I DON'T KNOW! I don't get how this could be considered funny in any way possible!
  • ewwwwwwww

1.5
    well i didn't nearly puke as well but that episode was very.... disgusting....

how could the writers think it was funny?
  • One word: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE***W

This is possibly one of the grossest episodes in the entire series, there's nothing funny and it's all gross out, even worse than that toenail scene from House Fancy. Just YUCK! What were the writers thinking?
  • Yuck.

I really would like to know why the new writers expect us to laigh at this gross humor some of the new episodes have. This episode revolves around Spongebob trying to remove his spatula from the ceiling were it got stuck in, he fails at doing so and falls down the ground and gets a splinter pressured into his thumb. Throughout the entire episode, he finds several ways to remove it. I would like to point out how splinters can easily be pulled out without trying to go through all that trouble. As bad as the plot is, it gets much worse. Squidward was a complete jerk because he laughed at the pain Spongebob was going through with that splinter in his thumb. Spongebob called Patrick for help, and he thought he knew what he was doing, but Patrick being his dumb self, only made things worse by putting Spongebob's foot in his mouth and rubbing garbage on the splinter, which caused it to enlarge. Spongebob nervously shows Mr Krabs the splinter, and then he laughs at how such a small thing is putting him in so much pain, and then he pulls it out and Spongebob's thumb pukes out pus all over the Krusty Krab restaurant. This episode was just horrible. The humor consists of nothing more than gross humor, because apparently the new writers think that seeing Spongebob's thumb puke pus in the building or seeing Patrick rub garbage on Spongebob's injury making things even worse is hilarious. And at the end of the episode, we found out that splinters can simply be pulled out easily. So Spongebob went through all that trouble for nothing? The new writers really need to stop producing awful episodes like this and just get some creativity. While it still isn't as bad as The Battle for Bikini Bottom, it is best left avoided at all costs. I'm actually quite shocked how they got away with this in a kids show and that Nickelodeon hasn't banned this episode yet.
  • GROSS!!!!!

I hate the effects of the SPLINTER!!!!! And Patrick acts like a jerk TOO!!!
  • Wow what the fuck

This is DISGUSTING. He tries to pull it out pus comes out! That was UNCREATIVE of YOU

Stay away from this episode! The worst part is that patrick makes it infected by garbage and hitting it with a hammer. Patrick is DUMB and STUPID

Nick STOP airing this episode right NOW.

Green pus comes out at the end then mr krabs use a freaking umbrella

Plot was fucking terrible BE CREATIVE NICK AND MAKE BETTER PLOTS!
  • Discusting

This was probably the 2nd worst episode of this season (after Penny Foolish). It was disgusting, especially the end when the splinter finally gets pulled and puss and confetti comes out. Patrick was also an idiot to hammer a splinter in farther. This episode should seriously be banned.
  • Why do they still air this episode?

I should have reviewed this sooner but the other reviews already cover it. The reason I say I should have reviewed it sooner is because they have aired this episode recently. It aired again today at 8:00 am before Sand Castles in the Sand, and I realized I should have reviewed it sooner. Well there's not really much to say other then I agree this episode is awful. And it's a mystery anyone likes this episode or that the rating is 5.4. And my vote doesn't change it, really I could have given it a 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, or 2 and the rating would still be 5.4. Sam & Cat is the same way. I gave Sam & Cat a 10 originally before changing it to 5, then 4, and now 1 and it's still rated with 7.7. So I bet even without my vote Sanjay and Craig would still be at 4.0 or maybe 4.1 considering it was at 4.1 yesterday before two new yet accurate reviews showed up.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 2 (originally posted last year on November 29): Nick has an upcoming show called Breadwinners that airs in 20 days. Today I found the pilot on YouTube and showed it to my family. EVERYONE HATED IT! They all said it was the worst thing they'd seen in their lives. And that includes The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (2012), Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale (2006), and Rabbids Invasion. So I won't be surprised when Breadwinners gets a 1.9 just like Marvin Marvin here at and Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale at IMDb. My Aunt said I should rate it as low as possible just to get the score down. Unfortunately, the lowest one can rate is 1, unless you are a prolific author. I have been working on that for months (6 plus months), so I can rate stuff like Marvin Marvin, Fred: The Show, and The Oogieloves a 0.0. Breadwinners is next on my "to rate 0.0 once I can" list.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 18: Breadwinners premiered yesterday. I have reviewed it. It's bad but not as bad as Sanjay and Craig.
  • My EYES!

This is unbelievably gross and disgusting. Getting a splinter is one thing, but then we get "Doctor" Patrick who makes things really nasty. First he uses a hammer on the splinter, which made me feel really bad for SpongeBob. Then he puts garbage onto it, getting it infected. When Mr. Krabs takes out the splinter, the pus spills out and hits Mr. Krabs. So disgusting and appalling.
  • Disgusting

This episode is very disgusting. It makes me wonder how they even got away with it without getting complaints from Parents. It does seem like it's going to be awful from the begining, but then the horror starts when you see a splinter get jammed into his finger. SpongeBob cringes and it makes the audiance cringe too. Patrick should have been kept out of this special, because he just made the splinter worse by jamming a wooden stake and a hammer on it making it swell up and ooze some pus. The grossest part is near the ending where Mr. Krabs asks to sees SpongeBob's splinter and it shows SpongeBob's thumb swollen up twice the size as his hand with redness, oozing pus, and even you even a pulsating vein. That may be gross, but that's not the worst part; the worst part is when Mr. Krabs finally pulls the splinter out of SpongeBob's thumb and a whole bunch of liquid pus comes out and some squirts on Mr. Krabs before he does get an umbrella. I feel great that the horror is gone but it doesn't make me like this episode.
  • Gross!

Really! This episode is Disgusting! So this is a Kids Show?! Really! This Episode is Disgusting! And not Funny at all!
  • Worse than an injured toenail

Out of all of the horrible episodes I've seen in Season 6 (House Fancy, Penny Foolish, Gone), this one takes the cake as the worst episode in that season. It was disgusting, cringe-worthy, and a pointless 11 minutes of someone attempting to remove a splinter. It's more disgusting than the toenail scene in my opinion. Also, Squidward was a jerk in this episode. He told Spongebob that Mr. Krabs would have to send him home because of his splinter. And to add insult to injury, Dr. Patrick reappears in this episode, but he never saves this episode. No, he just tries to remove Spongebob's splinter in a series of unfunny stunts. And to make the episode worse, we see Spongebob's splinter removed. At first, confetti pops out, but then gross pus comes out and splashes Mr. Krabs. This episode should be banned from airing on Nickelodeon and every country in the world. It should also be removed from existance.
  • Disturbing

this is the worst episode of Spongebob imo. Spongebob gets a splinter and he just keeps trying to pull it out. It's not hard to pull a stupid splinter out! Squidward was a jerk in this episode and Patrick's "treatment" only made it worse, but what REALLY disturbed me was the green pus that came out, when Mr. Krabs pulled it out.

I got to admit, I kind of found it funny when after the splinter was pulled out by Mr. Krab, and a bunch of confetti came out. Other than that, this episode was horrible
  • I cringed

I hated everything about this episode, its grotesque and graphic puss/blood emphasis on a splinter prompts anyone to cringe and shut this shit off
  • this episode is gross

this episode isn't funny, or entertaining, just plain disgusting
  • I'm going to be sick

I want to know who green lighted this episode of Spongebob in the first place. In this episode, Spongebob gets a splinter in his thumb and tries everything to remove it. I have to point out that splinters are not like that at all. I know this is a cartoon and logic is usually thrown out, but Spongebob pulled it and it wouldn't come out at all. Splinters can be removed by pulling it, but for the sake of the plot, it keeps going. Squidward was an absolute jerk in this episode, all he constantly does is make fun of Spongebob and lies to him about what would happen if the splinter isn't pulled out. Then when Patrick came to "help" he just does a series of unfunny and very gross stuff to remove the splinter, so he's has no purpose. As the splinter stays in Spongebob, the thumb gets bigger. Thumbs don't do that when they have a splinter in them and it comes off as being really gross. Mr. Krabs eventually finds out and pulls the splinter out, and all of this green pus comes out and floods the restaurant. It's just very disgusting and guaranteed to make anyone sick. To end it all, Squidward injures himself when his shift ended 2 minutes ago. I normally have no problem with gross stuff on a show, but this episode went overboard with crude humor and the ending was just sickening. I have a pretty strong stomach, but stuff like this does NOT belong in Spongebob at all. Whoever the creator of this episode was I hope that person is fired or never allowed to create another episode again. These writers need to avoid coming up with junk like this and start being creative. Stay far away from this episode
  • Spongebob gets a splinter, and it serves to be a problem his work.

What did I disliked in this episode? The writers' laziness.

The humor in here sucks most of the time, really stupid and annoying. Squidward is annoying in here. Why can't Spongebob just pull that splinter away? Mr.Krabs pulled that thing out like a pro. It's rather stupid, our thumbs don't swell like that when we get splinter on them (but they can swell, if they are very dirty and infected, pus will also come out but not as infected and hideous Spongebob as) plus, it's quite obvious. The reason they've done that because they can't think of anything next. However I laughed a little when Patrick started to put garbage on that sponge's thumb, but afterwards, it gets gross! And It made me laugh when Mr.Krabs pulled the splinter, a confetti came out. That made me laugh. But also, afterwards (I'm not joking) it gets gross again, pus flowed like a river inside the restaurant! OGH. Really gross and went too far on gross humor. It TRIES to be like Ren & Stimpy, but this is Spongebob Squarepants, not Ren & Stimpy!
  • Absolutely disgusting

Its episodes like these that make me question who approved of this. This episode made me vomit. It was absolutely disgusting. SpongeBob gets a splinter by doing something absolutely stupid to get his spatula from the ceiling. He gets a splinter and Squidward acts like a huge jerk and lies to SpongeBob about what Mr Krabs would do if he found out about the splinter. Then, Patrick does a series of gross and NOT FUNNY things to try to get the splinter out and it makes things even worse. Finally, Mr Krabs removes the splinter and Squidward hurts himself with a cash register just so he can get worker's compensation, but it turns out that his shift was over two minutes ago. Bottom line: everyone was stupid and the splinter itself was completely appaulling. Splinters are nothing like what they showed on this episode and it is one of the worst episodes of any show I have ever seen.
  • Awful SpongeBob episode

This is my first negative review on a SpongeBob episode. I thought it was a not that good episode of SpongeBob. It was a bad start of the week of the premieres back in June 08. First, let me put the funny scenes in this episode. I thought the beginning was great especially when SpongeBob went on Squidward's head. However, after SpongeBob, things get worse. After Squidward found out about this, he threaten to tell Mr. Krabs and send him home. I thought Squidwsrd s big jerk in this episode. He hardly annoys me, but in this one, a lot. Also, Patrick's role was unneed, especially when he licked SpongeBob's feet. What was that about?? I know Patrick's dumb, but he was absolutely stupid in that scene. Overall, a terrible and unwatchable episode of SpongeBob. I only think the beginning is watchable before SpongeBob got that splinter. I think this got to be the worst episodes on the show ever (andso does season 6).1/10

• I don't blame you people if you hate this episode. I admit that it is a disgusting episode BUT since this is a cartoon... it doesn't make me cringe that much

In my opinion, this episode really isn't bad. I don't blame people if you hate this episode thought because I understand that this is a disgusting episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants". I thought the beginning when SpongeBob was excited for work and prepares everything to make a krabby patty was funny. I thought it was funny when SpongeBob put his spatula on his nose and acts like a seal because he flips the krabby patties with the spatula on his nose. I thought it was funny when Mr. Krabs was sniffing the floor and finds the two quarters on a customer's pocket. It was also funny when Patrick dressed up as a doctor and tried to help SpongeBob with the splinter but made it much worse. The reason my score is low is because this episode did disgust me and because Squidward was trying to scare SpongeBob by saying that Mr. Krabs would take him home early. I know Squidward doesn't like SpongeBob but that is no reason for him to do that. I thought it was disgusting when Patrick infected SpongeBob's splinter and made it much worse. It was also disgusting when Mr. Krabs pulled the splinter out of SpongeBob's thumb and green stuff comes out of it (ewwwwwww.... I have to admit that those things I mentioned right there are disgusting). It was also funny when Squidward hit himself in the head with the cash register. Overall, I really really really don't blame you people if you hate this episode so much but I didn't think it was bad... I give it an average but good score. 7/10

Note: marebear2009 requested me to review this episode.
  • Sure, gross can be funny sometimes, but the writers went way too far with crude humor this time.

In this episode, Spongebob gets him spatula stuck in the ceiling in a stupid way, and he gets it unstuck and then slips on the floor and gives himself a splinter. Sounds funny, right? Wrong! This has to be one of the worst episodes of Spongebob ever! Not only was there nothing funny about it, but there were so many disgusting things about it. First of all, in real life when people get splinters in their thumbs, they (the thumbs, not the people), don't swell up to a million times their normal size, and confetti and pus don't spit out when you pull out a splinter. What in the world made the writers think this was a good idea? Second of all, it doesn't make any since whatsoever that Spongebob had such difficulty pulling out the splinter, but Mr. Krabs pulled it out on a heartbeat. I don't ever want to see another episode like this again, and I definitely think the writers went way overboard with gross humor in this one.
  • at least it was not as bad as i thought

5.5
    this was a bad episode however it was not as bad as i thought like i said as the first screen of the review i do agree however that spongebob getting a splinter was preety gross and the patrick part of the episode coudve been alot less grosser than that it wasnt really funny to be honest i also didnt like it when spongebob jumped on the wall to try to get his splinter out that wasnt really all that funny either so in conclusion in my opinon this episode is not as bad as people say it is but its still not that great i give it a 5.5 kingnicky1 out
  • Disgusting and just plain stupid.

Can someone please tell me who greenlighted this episode? 'Cause they need some sense knocked into them. Who in their right mind would find this episode appealing?

First of all, SpongeBob is once again obsessed with not having to leave the Krusty Krab any earlier than he has to. Squidward was pretty much a jerk, too. Freaking out SpongeBob like that, and all because of a splinter in his thumb. Not only that, he ended up TELLING Mr. Krabs about the splinter after completely freaking SpongeBob out! Patrick was no better; he didn't help at all, and when SpongeBob pointed that out to him, Patrick responded by being condescending! Since when did Patrick become such a snob? Not very appealing.

Speaking of unappealing, I've had splinters before. Sure, they can hurt, but they don't really prevent someone from doing their job, and they don't swell up to be that big...or spray pus and confetti. That was uncalled for. I didn't get particularly grossed out by any of that, but I can certainly see how someone could.

The ending wasn't funny either; when Mr. Krabs says that SpongeBob probably would have gotten worker's compensation for getting hurt on the job, Squidward responds by beating himself up with the cash register...only to find out that his shift ended two minutes before. Ha ha ha. Not.

Don't bother with this episode. It's just...bleh.

• A painful episode that goes nowhere.

4.8
    Before I start let me tell you somthing.

There has been some issuses with the episdoe page. I think it was that the new episodes were put in one page because they were seprate. Well, I reviewed them seprate but when they were put together I had to put my review together. Next time I should be careful with two seprate episodes that aired the same day. Now since there's a real episode, I will review it. So, before this episode there was no piont in reading this. Next time, I think the episodes needs to be toghether if they aured on the same day. Okay? Sorry, again.

Now the review:

This thing about SpongeBob getting a splinter was a rip-off of Blackend Sponge where SpongeBob got a black eye. The episode starts to get stalled when Squidward tells SpongeBob that he will be sent home early if the splinter isn't off. That seem to be like most of the episode. So, SpongeBob asked Patrick for help, but he made everything worse. Finally, the splinter comes off, right when Mr. Krabs comes in. I also didn't understand the ending. What a pointless episode this was. And un-original. Please, writers, next time, don't think in the gutter, think in the clouds. I don't know but Season 6 is losing it.

FINAL GRADE: D-
  • A very, very, very badly written episode about Spongebob having a splinter. Very stupid in all ways. If you love Spongebob, please don't read my review.

Alright, let's start it off from the beginning. Spongebob working in the Krusty Krab, making Krabby Patties, and saying how much he loves them. Sound fimiliar? I think they done that in at least 20 episodes. Then Spongebob does something stupid and gets his spatula stuck on the celing of the kitchen, and tries to get it by topping boxes and boxes of dangerous swords and tarter sauce. Another thing that pissed me off was the fact that Spongebob, yet again, was crying like a big baby. Did the writers do it on purpose, or they want people to think he's a homosexual. Then,for some reason, Squidward was teasing Spongebob(again, doesn't this sound fimiliar?) and saying he'd have to be sent home early because of some lame splinter. If Spongebob was such a vivid reader of the manual, wouldn't he know that he wouldn't really be sent home because of a simple injury? And for some reason, they added Mr.Krabs sniffing people's pocket for money. So, in order not to be sent home, he decided to call good ol' "Dr." Patrick, who does something even stupider than usual,and further slams in the splinter and covers it with garbage in order to "put down the swelling" I believe. Of course, Spongebob retuns to the Krusty Krab with a badly infected thumb. Mr.Krabs easily removes this, and for some reason, spits out confetti, and then some disgusting pus, which Mr.Krabs gets drenched in. After this, Mr.Krab is relieved not to pay "worker's compensate" or something, and Squidward, who finishes the episode off with even more stupidity, slams his head with the register, in order to get the compensate, learning that his shift ending two minutes ago(Which is strange,due to the fact Squidward can't wait to leave the place.) All in all, I'm sad to see Spongebob go downhill with recycled story plots that aren't written well, stupidy, and useless crying. The only thing that could've made it worse if a stupid song was being sung about Spongebob having a splinter.
  • Knew it, pointless.

6.3
    The Splinter: This episode was pointless, why would a stupid object be a big deal? Believe it, the writers are not going to stop their habits. So Spongebob gets a splinter? Squidward acted like a jerk in this episode! He torchured Spongebob about what's going to happen, he put Spongebob's KK materials in the drain, he lied to him, like he would always do, still, he got out of character! Its just a splinter! Big deal anyway! So Spongebob asks Patrick for help, but Patrick barely helped Spongebob at all. Writers, SB and Patrick are friends and Patrick is suppose to help! The ending was better, but still pointless! Like how Krabby Road, Not Normal, Gone, Nautical Novice, and Spongicus did not happen!

Episode Grade: SPF-70(C-)
  • it was a pretty good episode but the should have gone with a better title

7.3
    spongebob got his spatuala stuck in the ceilling and stacked a bunch of things on top of eachother to reach it he was nearly impaled by many swords and knifes by he sliped away by using he spatula to hang high above the area (by accident) but he then slipped on a puddle of sauce and got a large splinter in his finger. he told squidward who then told him that he would have to leave work early which he hates to do. so he got patrick to "help" him but instead, he made it deeper and infected it. mr krabs evantually found out and fixed the problem. overall this was a pretty good episode and i look forward to seeing another episode like this.
  • Dont let others force you to avoid this episode.

This episode was very good. I dont see anything disgusting about it. This was a great episode. Dont listen to anyone who says that this episode is bad. Spongebob plan to get his spatula was very clever. It was a good plan. Others say it was "retarded". like this episode, and I dont see anything gross about it. My advice: dont listen to anything the haters of this episode say. They are just delusional. This is #39 on my top 50 favorite episodes list. This episode was superb, and I give this episode a thumbs up. Remember: Dont let others turn you away from this episode.
< 1 2