SpongeBob SquarePants

Whale of a Birthday / Karate Island

Aired Weekdays 5:00 PM May 12, 2006 on Nickelodeon

6.7
  • Whale of a Birthday excellent but Karate Island was just poor (you'll see why)

This episode had an awfully lower score because of the Karate Island (most likely). But I don't really see them bashing both episodes since Whale of a Birthday was excellent. I do understand that Karate Island wasn't that good and my review on that episode won't be positive either. That's the other reason why my average is dropped.

Whale of a Birthday: I thought this was an excellent episode. This Pearl centered episode beat Chaperon and Bossy Boots although Tunnel of Glove (a later Pearl episode) was a little better and funnier imo. Anyway, the storyline was great to watch while there isn't that much funny scenes. I only laughed at SpongeBob trying to buy everything for Pearl (which the list was very long), especially when he bought a fish and was dressed as a girl, Squidward singing the remix of "It's about you," and the last line. Score 10/10

Karate Island: I thought this was a poor episode of SpongeBob. I can really understand why there's too much hate for this episode. Because of the Best Day Ever marathon, this was voted as the best episode ever. Not the "best day ever," but this episode was never my cup of tea, not even when I saw it for the first time. Krusty Towers should have won. The episode was getting really boring. I only laughed pretty much most of the stuffs in the first few minutes (SpongeBob on Gary's shell, "You think I'm special?" and the video) and a few parts after that. So the episode being the best episode ever is the reason why it is so hated...don't really hate it, but I was bored watching it. Score 4/10