Sports Night Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Favourite Dan and Casey conversation?

JoeMacbeth

[1]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 14

What is your favourite dan and casey conversation?

I would say the one where the stand around in their underwear - hilarious!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

explorer0713

[2]Jun 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    Some of the one I imagine in my head.....

Diogo22

[3]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 15
    the "how many people do you know named Gordon" classic

Knavehart

[4]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 12
    You were with me, but then you moved on

ProphetBeal

[5]Jun 14, 2006
    Diogo22 wrote:
    the "how many people do you know named Gordon" classic

I love that one, but my fav is where Dan finds out about Sally & Casey.

Diogo22

[6]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 15
    another good one: the bomb scare episode "we wanna talk to the dogs" and the "I thought you were taking a break from moral accountability". Also on a side note, Jeremy Goodwin's speech about hunting on the 3rd episode is brilliantly written
    Edited on 06/15/2006 6:05am

the_311_saint

[7]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 10
    Favorite Dan/Casey Bit: Off-hand, probably the bit about Sally having no reflection, and how it's not time to "dally with Sally". Also the whole "You're not in the zone anymore, are you?".

JoeMacbeth

[8]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 14
    Yeah the zone and the bomb scare bits, classic!

chopsMK

[9]May 23, 2007
    • level: 5
    "It's not that my teases are better, it's that yours are vastly inferior to mine."

jamoon2006

[10]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 36
    My favorite is at the end of "The Apology," after Dan has almost broken down after relating the story of his dead brother. Any other show would have had some trite words without meaning from Casey, but instead Casey engages Dan in a debate as to whether or not the Starlight Vocal Band is cool or not. It signals a return to normalcy, and it speaks volumes about their friendship.

alsaker85

[11]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 11

Diogo22 wrote:
    Also on a side note, Jeremy Goodwin's speech about hunting on the 3rd episode is brilliantly written

Personally, that was my least favorite moment of the show. Not because I disagree with it (even though I hunt, I certainly can understand why someone wouldn't), but because there were so many falsehoods in that story.

First of all, he saw a buck, a doe, and a fawn which is "instantly recognizable as a family of a mom, dad, and baby." Except that bucks don't stick around once the deed is done. And by the time fall rolls around, the "baby" is not a baby anymore. And while it is possible to tell the difference between a young deer and doe (the nose is a bit shorter, and sometimes they're smaller, but not always), there is no way that someone as inexperienced as Jeremy would be able to tell.

And the whole thing about how the doe came to eat his twinkie out of his hand, and then other ppl showed up, and told Jeremy to move, and the deer just stood there the whole time.... utterly ridiculous.

And while I'm not a big fan of hunting shows, which only care about the kill (not about the actual skills involved in real hunting,or about being out in nature; and they probably don'teat the meatthroughout the rest of the year, the way my family does), they weren't arguing against hunting for TV, they were arguingagainst hunting in general. And while I can understand their point of view, they were making this argument through a ridiculous story that had no bearing in reality. That's called propaganda, and I expect better from Aaron Sorkin.

JonathanL

[12]Oct 21, 2007
    I like the "Eli's Coming' convo the best.

ctclark1

[13]Dec 4, 2007
    If we're talking just Dan and Casey talking to each other, the conversation about the limos is a great one. "I got to tell you, at this point the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it."

If its any conversation that Dan and Casey are prominent parts of, I'd have to say the "unglued" speech that DnC give to Dana and Natalie after the incident with Sally coming unglued. "The mighty Bengals, of Cincinnati" is another good one in that category.

IndianaMom

[14]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 54
    ctclark1 wrote:
    "I got to tell you, at this point the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it."

That's one of my favorite lines.

igotbupkis

[15]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 28
    > Also on a side note, Jeremy Goodwin's speech about hunting on the 3rd episode is brilliantly written.

As a characterization, yes, it fits his given personality quite effectively. As an anti-hunting piece, it's certainly anthropomorphic and sides far too much on the empathic and "all creatures are one" thing, and somewhat lacks rationality. It's one of the areas where Jeremy's character is not as rational as his intelligence ought to lead him to be (which isn't to say it's out of character, mind you). I've personally never grasped why animals get such devoted concern for their individual existence, but insects and plants get short shrift in such reasoning -- insects and plants just don't have the big brown eyes and the snuffly noses, so killing them isn't as big a deal as taking out the baby deer's mother.

Jeremy whines about how what they do is not "hunting", in the time-honored tradition of the plains indians, but never once claims that
    a) they didn't keep the hide and/or flesh of the animal for food
    b) he openly acks that it can't have been easy, they were all exhausted from traipsing around for the whole day looking for a deer. Just because the final kill was easy does not invalidate the effort involved in getting to that point, which, in his over-empathic response, he does not grasp.

This, by the way, is a minor weakness in Sorkin's otherwise highly effective writing. He certainly does a fine job of arguing the side he believes in, but tends to set that character up against either an ineffective counter-arguer or, as in this case, no one at all. It would be far more intellectually honest to place someone in the room to provide an effective counter-argument in favor of the actions involved (and there usually is one).

I'm put in mind of the classic final scene of "Other People's Money", wherein the corporate raider justifies his position squared off against the "grand old patrician" of the company he's attempting to acquire in a meeting of the stockholders. Both sides are presented honestly and passionately, and it is mostly up to the viewer to decide which has more merit. If Sorkin wrote this, he'd just present the patrician's side and that would be the end of it.

igotbupkis

[16]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 28
    > "It's not that my teases are better, it's that yours are vastly inferior to mine."

LOL, I'd just added that to the quotations for that ep yesterday, before having read this...