Sports Night Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Good Show?

seinfeld111690

[1]Jun 11, 2006
    • level: 25
    Ive heard alot about this show is it any good, really just what is it about?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Diogo22

[2]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 15
    the short answer is yes it's good, in fact it's better than good, the writting is "West Wing" quality. the longer answer is... you'll be left wanting so much more....they canceled this WAY too early. and the other drawback is... it's only a half an hour that goes by SO fast. but watch it anyway. as short as it is, is superb neverthless.

ProphetBeal

[3]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 3
    This is a great show. But is was way too short. DAMN these networks.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!"
    Howard Beal (Network)

explorer0713

[4]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 3
    Must watch. Best thing: Josh Charles

tvfan332

[5]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 37
    It's okay. Not the funniest but it's watchable.

JoeMacbeth

[6]Oct 20, 2006
    • level: 14
    Greatest show ever! 30 minute dramedy about the events on fictional sports show 'Sports Night'. BTW Josh Charles aka Dan Rydell RULZ!

alsaker85

[7]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 11
    I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and have watched the first few eps. It's entertaining, but it isn't really very funny. I haven't laughed out loud much at all, unlike with Office or Scrubs. Do the episodes get funnier as the show goes on, or do you fans mainly watch it for the Aaron Sorkin dialogue?

jamoon2006

[8]Oct 22, 2007
    • level: 36
    alsaker85 wrote:
    I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and have watched the first few eps. It's entertaining, but it isn't really very funny. I haven't laughed out loud much at all, unlike with Office or Scrubs. Do the episodes get funnier as the show goes on, or do you fans mainly watch it for the Aaron Sorkin dialogue?

It's not so much that it's a laugh-out-loud comedy. Comparing Sports Night and The Office is really comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The humor comes more from the interactions between the characters (and yes, the Sorkin dialogue.) But there is also a lot of drama that is just as well-acted and delivered as the comedy. I think the term "dramadey" is bandied about a lot, but Sports Night definitely struck the right balance between laughs and serious moments. I would give it more of a chance before you give up on it.

igotbupkis

[9]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 28
    > I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and have watched the first few eps.

>> It's not so much that it's a laugh-out-loud comedy.

a) I tend to agree, it's more of a Dramedy. Your liking of the show will depend mostly on ...1) If you like "dramedies". It's more of a drama with comic overtones than a two-fisted comedy. ...2) How much you like short, snappy dialogue
    ...3) Although Gilmore Girls was more of a "chick show" (which SN is not) the two have a lot in common in that dialogue sense. One was written for girls, the other "a bit" more for guys (via the sports element, which some girls won't appreciate, although the relationships are a lot of the show, which balances). Both had sharp, snappy, reference-laden dialogue. Think David Mamet, esp. the movie "State and Main".

b) You may need patience with learning the show's unusual comic timing/rhythm. As I noted in another thread, I think it takes about five eps to feel "comfortable" with it.

P.S., if you are a big fan of Frasier, and I assume you must be, I'd expect you'll like the show quite a bit. P.P.S. If you want to measure how big a fan of Frasier you are, you'll be able to recognize which episode of Frasier my nom-de-net references.
    Edited on 03/31/2008 4:54am
    Edited 2 total times.