We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Sports Night Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

The 9/11 Eps

igotbupkis

[1]May 4, 2008
    • level: 28
    Anyone else besides me think it would have been very interesting to see the show(s) which might have resulted had SN still been on the air for the 2001-2002 season? Since the show was set in NYC, Sorkin would clearly have given them some interesting things to say, and, althought they weren't "in" the WTC (although the graphics very regularly show the WTC, there are in-show comments made during the course of the two seasons which place it possibly nearby but definitely elsewhere), the notion that they were nearby would have made for some interesting episodes.

Just curious if anyone else had thought about this little but significant "What If?"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jamoon2006

[2]May 6, 2008
    • level: 36

While I think that a 9/11 episode (or episodes) would have been interesting to see, I don't know how good they would have been compared to the rest of the series. I remember Aaron Sorkin's much ballyhooed 9/11 "special episode" of The West Wing which was easily the worst episode of the show up to that point. An hour of characters reminding us "Not all Muslims are terrorists! Americans are bad, too!" I found it insulting that Mr. Sorkin felt he needed to teach us not to hate. I fear a Sports Night episode on the subject would be similar. Not that the cast couldn't have risen above it, but I think it would be so didactic that the entertainment would be drowned out.

Sorkin is a great writer but crashes and burns when he tackles really heavy subjects. Complex issues on SN and TWW were usually distilled down to a "We're right, you're not" viewpoint (and I am someone who almost always shared his take on the subject...I just wish it was presented in a better manner.) It's funny that the mantra of so many of his characters is "If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you," when there is no room for disagreement in viewpoints on his shows.

lovemj

[3]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 14
    igotbupkis wrote:
    Anyone else besides me think it would have been very interesting to see the show(s) which might have resulted had SN still been on the air for the 2001-2002 season? Since the show was set in NYC, Sorkin would clearly have given them some interesting things to say, and, althought they weren't "in" the WTC (although the graphics very regularly show the WTC, there are in-show comments made during the course of the two seasons which place it possibly nearby but definitely elsewhere), the notion that they were nearby would have made for some interesting episodes.

Just curious if anyone else had thought about this little but significant "What If?"

If you haven't seen The West Wing episode "Isaac and Ishmael," you really should. It was written, filmed, edited and aired in the 3 week period after 9/11. Some people did not like it (i.e. jamoon2006), while other people did. Interestingly enough, I have a friend who just re-watched it this year (as part of a marathon of WW episodes). When he first saw it (right after 9/11), he hated it. Now he said he loves it.

Personally, I thought it was well done, but remember disagreeing with portions of it at the time. Nevertheless, I think it is, at a minimum, a thought provoking episode. Even if you disagree with Sorkins slant on the issue (especially given that it had to have been written within about a week of 9/11), you still have to respect the way he presented his views.

igotbupkis

[4]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 28
    > It's funny that the mantra of so many of his characters is "If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you,"

This is a common liberal flaw -- giving lip service to dissenting ideas, then smashing them at every opportunity.

One reason there are so few rational conservatives on TV shows -- usually they are the straw-man religious fanats and racial/sexual bigots... because clearly those are the only type who could have such ideas.

One reason The Left has steadily been losing ground to The Right for the last 30-odd years (I believe the recent turn away to the left is more self-inflicted than ideational) is that they -- The Left -- simply cannot grasp that their opponents are as intelligent and rational as they are -- much less more so -- or that anyone who would vote against their points are anything but "neanderthal religious redneck sexist and racist bigots".