Sports Night

Ordnance Tactics

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Apr 06, 1999 on ABC

• Dialogue, the way it was meant to be played.

I still quote lines from this episode. Okay, yeah, I quote lines from a lot of Sports Night Episodes, but that's beside the point.

The point is that this was a good episode. One of the things that always intrigues me about Aaron Sorkin shows was his ability to take characters to places that conventional shows don't. Don't beleive me? Watch the Entire second Season of The West Wing. In a small way, this episode does some of the same things, whether by creative choice or actuality.

With Isaac gone, tragedy had already befallen. What do you do with the tragedy? You make it worse...and you take your characters deeper. And over this episode and the next few...things just keep getting worse and worse...and then...the ultimate release...and life is good again. But you have to build the fall.

I applaud this episode for that.

I also applaud this episode for teaching me the value of exploding certain situations, and emotions. It's true. Don't make a problem worse by letting it fester...find a release, it makes the fall easier.

FXX