Sports Night

ABC (ended 2000)

layle1

Sports Night Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Some of the best writing I have seen for television ever.

This show is among two other shows I consider to be the best written show for television and one writer is responsible for two of those shows his name is Aaron Sorkin. Sound familiar he is also the writer for The West Wing. This show has all the charm of West Wing but never really seemed to find its audience. I am new to this show and discovered it by the other reviews on this web site. I took a chance on this show and bought the DVD's and have loved every minute of this show since. It has episodes that are written in the same fashion of West Wing episodes and to see them applied in a different setting is very cool. So If you like the fast paced walk and talk office dialogue of the west wing you will fall in love with this show as well.
  • Great show and way underrated.

I never really watched the show while it was on primetime. I only remember seeing a few episodes. One day, while at a store, I happened to pick up the complete series on DVD. I\'m glad I did. This show is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. The show ended way before it should have. Some people might be scared off by the title, because of sports, but that only made up a fraction of the show. Most of the shows dealt with the funny and interesting relationships between the various cast members. I know there is no chance of this happening, but I wish someone could bring the show back. 10 out of 10.
  • Perfection.

This is the only show I will ever grant a score of 10. It was perfect in every detail: writing, acting, execution... well, not so much in the execution. ABC pulled it from Sweeps, not allowing it to build an audience.

Back to the positive. I have never cared so much about one group of characters. Each actor was perfect (I think I\\\'m gonna wear out that word) for their role. The characters displayed charm and wit. But they were also flawed, which only made them more lovable.

I challenge you to watch \\\"The Apology\\\" or \\\"Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee\\\" or \\\"Eli\\\'s Coming\\\" or \\\"Cliff Gardner\\\" or \\\"The Cutman Cometh\\\" and see for yourself that this was the best show television has ever broadcast. It was ... perfect.
  • Sports Night followed the relationships that existed between coworkers at a fictional TV sports show.

Sports Night was a show about a sports show that wasn't about sports. Sports Night was about the relationships that existed among the people who worked together on the set of the fictional "Sports Night." The best relationship was between Dan and Casey. Though it had its ups and downs, they were always there for each other. The relationship between Casey and Dana ran along the fine line between love and hate. It would have been interesting to see how they would have ended up if the show continued a few more years. I loved the Jeremy/Natalie storyline. It was so great when he broke up with her, but she refused to be broken up with. The support staff at the station were more than extras. They had lines in most episodes, and occasionally story lines. Isaac kept an eye on everyone, and was the wise father figure that they went to when they needed advice. The obligatory conflict came from the network "axe" that continually hung over their heads. The fictional show was constantly in jeopardy of being cancelled. Likewise the real Sports Night saw the axe fall after only 45 episodes.
  • It was a sad day when this great show left the air.

It was a very sad day when Sports Night was canceled, even though the last Third of Season 2 kinda hinted at it, the finaly gave a glimer of light that it might not leave for good, just the summer. Sports Night was one of the best shows to ever go on air, because it was a "light drama", "a clever sit-com", and a pretty acurite account of what it is to work with a tight group of people. I say the last part because alot of people just work in an office or something enclosed, but when you have to work everyday with alot of people, such as jornilism, or health care you become pretty tight with your cowokers. And there is always two of them dating or a will-they-wont-they type of realationship. This show also had one of the best line up of cast, and for the most part they have gone on to bigger and better things, but any time i see one of them on "Desperate Housewife", "Six Feet Under", "West Wing", or "Num3rs" just to name a few, I get a little smile on my face cause I know that they were once on one of the greatest shows ever, even if it was only one for two great seasons.

"Quote Nevermore"
  • A show that was one of the funniest, smartest, and underappreciated shows on television.

Sports Night was without a doubt one of the best shows on television. It was hilarious, with moments that would make you laugh out loud. The thing about Sports Night was that the humor was so quick and so smart that the average viewer who tuned in looking for a generic comedy with fart jokes and stupid humor was extremely dissapointed and stopped watching. Unfortunately that turned out to be a lot of people. The show was too smart to be on television, where people weren't able to appreciate it, much like Arrested Development is now. People cannot seem to recognize a wonderful cast that clicks on all levels, great dialogue full of quick witted humor, and a truly wonderful show. So while we are left with the memory of this show (and the DVD set) lets all hope that shows like this can be accepted soon!
  • In my opinion the BEST show of all time!

This show is always funny. I have the DVD box set and I watch it whenever I feel down or just want to laugh. I make sure everyone I know watches it. And the first episode is very very funny and it only get's better and better with ever episode... I sometimes find it hard to stop watching once I start... I love this show... my only complaint is that there are not any more episdoes!
  • SportsNight was one of the first sitcoms to veer off the path. Unforutnately, it was so far off the path that not enough people saw it. What's left is hindsight that clearly shows the great writing the show had and the cast which made the show so specia

Sports Night was Aaron Sorkin's great achievement before anyone had ever heard of West Wing. Sports Night provided a window into the world of the ESPN news room with fast-paced scripts and humour that referenced everything you could imagine. It has the witty banter of Gilmore Girls, the comedic pairing of two male friends of Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place, and the brilliance of shows that come along rarely, if ever.

Although it's a real shame this show was cancelled, the short run also meant that Sports Night never faltered and never had a chance to lose its lustre.

What remains is a painfully useless boxed DVD set with no extras and a cast that has spread out and joined new, more successful shows:

Six Feet Under
    West Wing
    Desperate Housewives

Hopefully, Sports Night will always be around in one form or another. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth the effort and money for the Complete Series on DVD.
  • *Sports Night* was a show that I found so close to perfect that it was scary,and I'm not even a sports fan.Every Tuesday Night,these wonderful sportcasters,Danny & Casey,who were more like our best friends than sportscasters,would come through the set to

I'm a biased Josh Charles fan,but *Sports Night* was a wonderful show....and,it wasn't even the sports that kept us intrigued.It was how well they covered the goings-on in the lives of everyone at the station that really kept us tuned in.And,by the time it went off,we felt like we were friends with everyone.
    We knew Casey's favourite song is *Afternoon Delight* by The Starland Vocal Band.We knew all about Dana's little *Dance of Joy*.We knew how Isaac had missed one of the most famous home runs in history by going to the restroom.And,Natalie and Jeremy were the geeks we wanted as siblings.
    By the time it ended,we were so close to these characters that we felt like they were stealing away our best friends by ending the series.
  • Sports Night never really found its target audience in a big enough way, but those who tuned in found a truly excellent show.

Sports Night was a failure waiting to happen. The writing was razor-sharp and lightning-quick, the show wasn't really about sports but rather about the people who reported it, and ABC bounced it all over the schedule, filling gaps instead of building an audience, effectively killing it. Too smart for channel-flippers to pick up after five minutes and lost among TV scheduling to its fans, Sports Night serves as an easy example of the ruthless and unfair nature of television scheduling.

Sports Night revolved around the main staff members of a nightly sports show of the same title. And while newsworthy stories often ocurred in the show, they were rarely the focus of a given episode; when they were, it was because a member of the cast was directly affected. Instead it was always about the characters and the worlds they lived in. Television shows live and die by the quality of their characters, and truly this is what makes Sports Night such a quality show. With Robert Guillaume, Felicity Huffman, Peter Krause, Sabrina Lloyd, Josh Charles, and Joshua Malina holding together the large central cast ably, each character is a fully realised human being, with their own motivations, behaviors, and opinions. And although all but Guillaume's seem to suffer from a vaguely retentive neurosis, the show somehow finds itself able to balance the fever pitch of rapid-fire dialogue with enough heart to keep it from becoming annoying or repetitive. It's easy to see the show sometimes dance the line of overkill, but it's always careful to reign it in before the dialogue turns from friend to foe.

Sports Night isn't perfect, however; early on, it's a bit overly dramatic. It seems as if Sorkin is swinging for the fences with every episode, trying to make each one laugh-out-loud funny and poignant all at the same time. Later on he settles for longer arcs that feel more natural, using guest roles by William H. Macy, Teri Polo, Ted McGinley and others to freshen the plot lines up some (especially Macy, whose performance is brilliantly understated). Throughout the two seasons that Sports Night ran it was always on the brink of being cancelled (something the show itself alluded to as the nightly sports show within a show was also always in budget and ratings trouble), and although it's easy to be bitter about the show's premature cancellation, the brilliant but underappreciated mini-genre that Sports Night found itself in is rarely afforded 47 episodes. A true television classic, and a pioneer for the ever more popular "dramedy" genre.

It is worth noting, however, that the DVD collection could have been much better; it's not cleaned up at all and it is somewhat heavily compressed. While this isn't noticeable on normal television sets, Hi-Definition onitors and screens will out some of the transfer issues. There are also absolutely no special features to speak of whatsoever, but the show is good enough that it's worth picking up despite these issues.
1 2 >