Sports Night

The Sword of Orion

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Mar 23, 1999 on ABC

• If all my reviews sound the same, it's because this show was top quality and consistently solid. This episode was no exception, because it was just as awesome as the rest of them!

This was a stellar episode. Yes, that's a pun on the title of the episode which is an allusion to the constellation and of course to the fictional sailboat that Jeremy is obsessing over in an attempt to grapple with the sudden divorce of his parents.

That's one of the things I love about this show, how it can feed you a plotline or two and you coast along thinking you know what it's about then it turns 360 degrees on you and it becomes...well, a whole new ballgame. This time, the ball game was a boat race, but that's beside the point.

On top of Jeremy's moral issues, we have Dan's attempts to get Rebecca to see a...well, a ballgame. Basically I found those scenes to particularly good. Witty and fun...and packing enough of an emotional punch to delve deeper into these lives and relationships.

This was a good episode. A great episode, but to me...everything in the first season was wonderful and great.

This one stands out in my mind as one of the best of the best.