Sports Show with Norm MacDonald

Episode 101

Aired Tuesday 11:55 PM Apr 12, 2011 on Comedy Central

• Glad to see Norm back on TV

by Julian Spivey Seeing Norm Macdonald back on television on Tuesday's premiere of "Sports Show with Norm Macdonald" was highlight enough for the entire show. Norm Macdonald is in my mind the greatest Weekend Update anchor ever in the long, illustrious history of "Saturday Night Live" and this is the closest thing he's ever done to that. Macdonald simply belongs behind a news desk; it's evidently where he's the most comfortable.

The show began with Macdonald behind his desk simply giving one liner after one liner and it might've been the funniest part of the show. Among the best jokes were ones about Mike Tyson's app becoming one of the tops apps after just one week with Macdonald saying: "this just in, Mike Tyson's app has raped another app" (sure the joke is about 20 years old or so, but it's still hilarious), and "the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) and WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting) are merging into one sport … it's called Murder."

The show also included a funny segment, which it seems will be recurring, called "What the H?" about Tiger Woods' sex scandal. The name of the segment and the sly smirk in which Macdonald announced it with was probably the funniest part of the entire segment. The show ended with another great segment where Macdonald fired jokes in a rapid fire fashion in 90 seconds. The two funniest of these jokes were: "I don't know the difference between a hippie and a hipster, but it's fun to watch both get beat up" and "President Obama is a fantastic basketball player for President of the United States, but I think he's just mediocre for a black guy. The one part of the show that absolutely bombed miserably was a segment called "Blake Like Me," where Macdonald was supposedly made up like Los Angeles Clippers basketball star Blake Griffin and plays the game poorly. The skit was simply Griffin himself looking horrible as Macdonald dubbed his voice to Griffin's lip synching. Macdonald's delivery might be the best of any standup comedian with his sly humor and wry smirk that gives us an "aw shucks, it's just a harmless joke" feeling. It's this delivery that lets Macdonald get away with some of his more risqué humor, like the aforementioned Tyson joke. "Sports Show with Norm Macdonald" is a must watch for sports fans, and for those who maybe aren't sports fans but just like Macdonald's comedy. The series can be seen every Tuesday night at 9:30 p.m. on Comedy Central.

5.5
    I was interested in this show when it was announced. I liked David Spade's show on the network, Important Things with Demetri Martin was good. They have a good track record with veteran comedians coming in and hosting these weekly shows.

This one just did not really do it me. I am a huge sports fan, but Norm had more bad jokes than good ones here, much more. For every clever line there was him out there sounding like a blathering idiot.

I liked the segment with Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and if they have more sketches like this the show can take off. But there was just too much Norm stand-up here and frankly he does not have that much material.