TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Squidbillies Forums

Weekdays 12:00 AM on Adult SwimBetween Seasons

Why so many detractors?

kungfujesus77

[1]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 6

It seems like there are a certain number of critics who really have no place in reviewing certain shows.  For some reason they have either no interest in the genre or a total lack of understanding, both of which keep their reviews from having any merit.  Shows like Squidbillies, Perfect Hair Forever, and 12 oz. Mouse thrive on the the surreal nature of the show, and there are a lot of critics who see these shows and JUST DON'T GET IT. 

This happens for different reasons with a lot of the [as] shows: Tom Goes to the Mayor, Minoriteam, Korgoth of Barbaria, Home Movies and Metalocalpyse (both by Brendon Small, but completely different except for the style of humor).  It seems like most critics come to these shows with normal expectations, and so their reviews are pretty much decided from the beginning.

Shouldn't we have critics that get this kind of humor by now?  There are some, but I would have thought that there would be more of us by now...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Super_Orbit

[2]Aug 9, 2006
    • level: 25
    Exactly, O Lord Jesus.

kungfujesus77

[3]Aug 11, 2006
    Thank you, my son. ^_^

danigro89

[4]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 37
    For some reason critics think most of these shows are a stupid waste of time and that they don't make any sense. But they should learn that the material on Adult Swim appeals to many people, and we shouldn't have let other people tell us what we should and shouldn't watch. 

kungfujesus77

[5]Aug 12, 2006
    Exactly. The point of a lot of these shows isn't to "make sense", it's to make people laugh. Shows like Squidbillies, Perfect Hair Forever and 12 oz. Mouse aren't supposed to be terribly coherent, that's part of the humor.

Super_Orbit

[6]Aug 20, 2006
    Actually, PHF is a parody, so technechly it has the rights to be totally random.

Atheist420

[7]Sep 20, 2006
    • level: 10
    did anybody see the new episode? it was good. I forget what hapened but it was funny. i just remeber the cop going crazy

Super_Orbit

[8]Sep 24, 2006
    Yeah, ever since the second season started, people are starting to like it more. I see a lot of people of the ASMB saying:

"I hated the first season, but ever since this new episode came, I love it!"

Atheist420

[9]Sep 24, 2006
    Super_Orbit wrote:
    Yeah, ever since the second season started, people are starting to like it more. I see a lot of people of the ASMB saying:

"I hated the first season, but ever since this new episode came, I love it!"

they arent true fans, i guess. season one was too funny though. ive always liked this show. but im a sucker for a few adult swim cartoons. NEW SQUIDBILLIES AND 12 OZ MOUSE on tonite. YESSSS

TheUberTycoon22

[10]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 7
    Okay, to admit, I have never watched many of the shows listed above, mainly because they have never been shown here in Canada, or if they were, I didn't have the time to ever watch them. However, so far I have watched Squidbillies and Home Movies.

Squidbilles is an okay show, I guess. I watch it when I am bored. It comes up with a storyline that has never been used before. However, the show is only mildly funny, and is so badly animated that it's really hard to look at. (Home Movies was only partially badly animated, and also had the help of Squigglevision, and it was also very funny.) Also, no offense, but that really lazy obese girl (Lil?) is just scary to look at.

That was just my two cents.

Super_Orbit

[11]Oct 7, 2006
    Also, no offense, but that really lazy obese girl (Lil?) is just scary to look at.

That was just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Thats Krystal.

Atheist420

[12]Oct 7, 2006
    Edited on 10/07/2006 12:55pm