Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Afterimage

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Oct 14, 1998 on Syndicado

7.7
  • A slightly emotional episode of character development

A very average episode in the context of the season. The story uses two main plot strands, essentially to develop Ezri's character by a few degrees. These strands manifest themselves as; i) the struggle to define her identity against the overwhelming pressence of the previous host lives of Dax, ii) what to do with her new complicated life.

Since both of these strands have minimal action involved, what little drama there is comes over as forced and holding little lasting impact in the grand scheme of the Dominion War. Either of these elements should have been used together with any other action packed sub-plot in order to make for a better episode imo.

As it is, the episode is really only saved by the context of which Ezri's character development takes place. Namely these are: Sisko's interference in helping Ezri decide to stay in Starfleet, Worf's internal battle to accept Jadziha's death and that part of her is in Ezri's and Garraks internal struggle to accept what he is doing to help Starfleet with intel intercepts, even if it is killing many Cardassians. The scenes that these elements provide help the dialogue rise from what could have been dreadful to quite emotionally moving in some areas.

While the safe setting of the Space Station though logical doesnt add anything visually stimulating or eye catching to proceedings.

However, overall at least this aspect of the season arc is out of the way (to some degree) after this episode. Best bit:- When Garrak goes loopy and tries to flush himself out of an airlock. *chuckle*
  • So, after been introduced briefly in the last two shows, it's about time we get to learn a bit more about Dax - Ezri Dax that is, the n-th host (it's kinda tricky to keep track of the numbers).

7.7
    After an only rudimentary presentation of the new host of Dax, Ezri Dax that is, in the previous two episodes, it is about time we learn more about this new - yet old - character addition. I wont even get into lamenting about the switch from Jadzia to Ezri, I guess at the time things went as they did, they probably looked different. But I do freely admit that when I saw this episode first, I thought: that is soooooo lame! Now that I watched season 7 several times, I am still not totally happy, but the creative mind behind the series actually managed to do a good job with Ezri, starting with this show, that of course also draws of the combo of her having to counsel the Cardassian tailor Elim Garak, who's suffering some strange forms of breakdowns ... okok, they should have paged Doctor Freud a bit to help them with the script of this particular show, as the solution to it all is a bit too obvious, yet, we get to learn a bit more insights on Ezri, where she's coming from and things that make her tick - or more, that confuse her, being an unprepared host for Dax. An enjoyable ride that shows the potential of things to come during this season!