Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Babel

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Jan 24, 1993 on Syndicado

7.9
  • A fun episode where everyone slowly contracts the same virus, causing them to speak nonsense.

"Babel" is very similar to the second episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" except that the virus affecting the crew this time makes them speak nonsense instead of producing intoxication symptoms as we saw in TNG. I have to admit that I admire the actors' abilities to speak such strange sentences so well. I found myself wondering if they had trouble with the lines that could have led to multiple takes.

The Jake and Benjamin Sisko relationship gets an opportunity in this episode to develop as the commander worries about his son. Avery Brooks handles those scenes well and easily shows believable concern. This is just a hint at how vital the relationship will become in the show.

This episode also had one of the few early angry, aggressive Major Kira scenes that I didn't have a problem with. Generally, I was not a fan of her character early on. However, in this episode I think she was truly out of options leaving her with no choice but to intentionally infect the one person that could produce an antidote.