Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 24, 1999 on Syndicado

• Filler, but good filler!

Okay, so here's a quick run-down on this episode:

Good ole Julian and Miles are spending a little time on the Holodeck with Vic Fontaine, a singing (and advice giving) hologram that has been seen in several past episodes. All of a sudden, the program changes and the mob takes over Vic's club!

I know what you're thinking: Reset the program! Nope, can't be done or else the Vic character would lose all of his memories. And now I know what else you're thinking: there is a war with the Dominion going on, who cares about a stupid Hologram? Ouch.

Well, you're right (assuming you were thinking what I thought you were thinking). There are bigger things going on within the DS9 universe. But it is nice to have a little stand-alone episode now and then, and the Star Trek writers seem to enjoy writing episodes that take place on the Holodeck.

To be sure, there have been some great Holodeck episodes but it has also been overused a bit between DS9, TNG, and Voyager. Still, once in awhile, the writers still manage to come up with an original idea for a Holodeck episode and there's fun to be had. This is one such episode.

I couldn't get into the earlier season 7 Holodeck episode ("Take me Out to the Holosuite," I believe it was called), but this episode was pretty entertaining in it's own way. The stakes were pretty low for our heroes on the space station, but not for Fontaine, whose program is at stake. On the one hand, the viewers probably don't care for Fontaine quite as much as the characters do. On the other hand, there was some genuine suspense because I didn't know how they would end this one. In "Chimera," when Odo was talking about leaving the station, the viewer knew he wouldn't. Vic isn't an essential character though, and DS9 is the darkest of the Trek world. I didn't think it was impossible that they would destroy the program (Voyager's Doctor, he ain't).

Much of the episode is a spoof of (or perhaps an homage) to the original Ocean's Eleven and the music is quite good. And if you enjoy a good heist (I know I do!), you'll probably enjoy this episode quite a bit. And, if you're still not sold, we get to hear our Captain Sisko sing in this episode......and he's really not too bad!