Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Call to Arms (1)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Jun 16, 1997 on Syndicado

• Good Guys lose battle but war has just begun.

This to me is one of the best darn episode ever because it was the first shot in a plot arc that has constantly developed thoughout the further sesons of the series. It was also the first time we ever seen a war in the Star Trek universe. We've seen the chracters in the franchise fight battles but they never really fought a real war. The Dominion were defenantly worthy opponents they were sort of the Nazis in the Star Trek universe.

This episode unfolds slowly and has a sense of intensity in the air. From the conversation about the Dominions activities occupying planets, surround Deep Space Nine slowly but surely, and the peace treaty about to come to an end; it gives you a feeling of being overwelmed or being crushed by a hand whos grip is tightening. We see some final resolutions and final decisions before the first shot in the war is fired. From Leta and Rom both getting married, Worf joining his Klingon faction while being seperated by his significant other Jadzia. Jake remain on Deep Space Nine to carry our his war corespondant role. Odo and Kira decideing to confront their feelings when Odo asks Kira out for dinner. But most of all our beloved characters forced to exile themselves from Deep Space Nine to regroup with Starfleet to prepare for a long war. The battle sequence in the whole show is spectacular just seeing the station open up all it's defenses by firing barages of proton torpedoes and lazers at any Dominion ships that try to blow them away, it's similar to watching a medevil castle raid. But at the same time a little disheartening knowing that despite the good guys efforts, takeover of Deep Space Nine is inevitable; similar to the Battle at Hoth in "Empire Strikes Back". Sisko gives a powerful and slightly somber speach and also left his baseball as a message to both Dukat and Weyoun saying that the game is far from over.