Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Chimera

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 17, 1999 on Syndicado

7.9
  • Odo encounters another changeling, but rather than a Founder, he discovers that it's one of the Hundred, like him. Unfortunately, he may be the only one who sees the difference.

This story had potential, bringing in a character that's probably more like Odo than anyone we've seen before. The execution, however, could have been better.

On the plus side, the character of Laas is somewhat interesting, and Odo's interaction with him even moreso. It's nice to see someone who's so much like him yet so different. It's also nice to get a new changeling perspective that differs from Odo's peaceful life and view of humanoids and the Founders' fear and need to conquer all of them. Overall, though, not all that much happens, and what does is rather predictable. Thanks to the war with the Founders, no one likes Laas. Since no one's liked him all his life, Laas doesn't really like anyone. Bad things happen. The end. Oh, there is Odo's discoveries of new changeling abilities, though one wonders why the Founders didn't share this with him in his past links with them. Other than a little bit development for Odo and a halfway interesting character (and a reference to Martok that I chuckled at) this one doesn't have too much going for it.
  • A new changling arrives.....conflict ensues

This episode opens with Chief O'Brien and Odo on their way back to DS9 from somewhere (I'm not sure they mention where) when they encounter a strange new creature floating through space. Soon enough, this new creature boards their shuttle craft and it becomes apparent that we are not dealing with a new creature at all....but another changling!

This episode was all right. I'm not someone who needs a lot of action constantly. Often I enjoy the more character-driven episodes, and this one was certainly a good idea. I guess it was just lacking something.

I think the main problem with the episode is that it rammed it's main point down your throat. I understood that Odo was supposed to be feeling conflicted about his place on DS9 the first time Laas (the new shapeshifter) informed him he didn't belong there. The next thousand times were just overkill. And regardless of whether or not the Klingon attacked Laas first, Laas himself is simply too unlikeable a character to feel sympathy toward. I think ultimately that's the reason the episode's climax (the killing of the Klingon and the imprisonment of Laas) lacked the punch it should have had. They keep telling us that the great link is.....well, great, but you're still left wondering why Odo would ever want to leave Kira to spend an eternity with that downer, Laas.

"So they fear it... and their fear can turn to hate in the blink of an eye... "

Fear leads to hate, and hate leads to the darkside......no, wait, that's something else. I guess I'm done here. Until next time, folks.