Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Covenant

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Nov 25, 1998 on Syndicado

7.2
  • Good, but misplaced in the order of episodes, if you ask me.

Why didn't "It's Only A Paper Moon" directly follow "The Siege of AR-558". Why in the world was this episode squeezed between the two?

The banter with Odo about Klingon faith in the teaser was funny. Had me chuckle a little bit. It was good to have a little joke after the depressing, yet excellent AR-558 episode.

This episode sets up the final chapter. But, it's been a long time since the "Tears of the Prophets". I'd pretty much forgotten about the Pah-Wraiths by this point. Maybe I'm just being skeptical because AR-558 was a great episode.

This episode would be a filler episode if it didn't set up things to come. Why oh why doesn't Kira just kill Dukat and do the Federation a favor? I just don't get it. She's a trained soldier. She could snap his neck in a second and try to escape.

Overall, this is a pretty good episode. It makes me want to go read the Millennium trilogy again.
  • Why it was there

Shardyk pointed out that paper moon should have directly followed siege. There had to be an episode between the two to account for Nog\'s time in the hospital. This allowed Nog the time to get unwell so that he can get well in the next episode. All together it was a good episode and does a good job of leading into the finale.
  • Dukat's Evengelical Seminary

A clever episode in which we see what goes on all to often in our society, especially these days, murderers, liars, and cheats passing themselves off as 'holy' men, and expecting everyone else to make the sacrifices that will ensure their life of comfort.
    Marc Alaimo handles the role here of a 'transformed' Dukat quite well, it could've devolved into self-parody if not handled correctly; Nana Visitor also gives a great portrayal of the disgust and revulsion all sane and logical people regard this kind of hypocrisy with. Definitely different in context to the war episodes surrounding it, but a great character piece nevertheless.