Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Dax

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 14, 1993 on Syndicado

7.7
  • Everything you know about the Trill is wrong! (If you watched TNG's The Host)

Just as "The Measure of a Man" is about Data but is really a Picard episode, "Dax" is about the titular character but is really a Sisko episode. Brooks, the featured actor for the first time since the pilot (also directed by David Carson), again proves worthy of being the leading man in the series, giving Commander Sisko a righteous vitality that surpasses that seen in Picard and Kirk. The late Anne Haney is his equal, guest starring as the elderly, no-nonsense judge.

The B story, a mystery that begins as a tangent of the A story and eventually joins back in, gives Odo some interesting scenes and allows the writers to conveniently duck the difficult questions the episode offers. That said, viewers still learn plenty about the Trill, which is really the whole point of "Dax". Sadly, it's the last Star Trek script with contributions from D.C. Fontana, who also contributed to the Original Series, the Animated Series, and The Next Generation.
  • Good primer to the Trill, answered a lot of questions I had. Good character development, too.

So pretty much just before this episode I was thinking, "What's the deal with trill hosts? Do they have minds of their own?" And then we get an excellent episode. Really reminded me of "The Drumhead" with the trial.

Dax's silence is one of the most interesting aspects of the episode. I really liked how he felt the honorable thing to do was to remain silent and keep Curzon's secret (and his lover's) intact. In a way, it was his infidelity; but it was also someone else's, and I suppose his sense of honor kept him from betraying that confidence.

Overall, very cool. I like the Dax/Sisko relationship. Hope to see more of that in episodes to come.
  • Among the better season 1 episodes. We learn a lot more about Dax.

As the other reviewers have noted, this is a somewhat predictable and slow courtroom drama. However, relative to some of the other "character development" episodes shoehorned into the 1st season, this one at least bothers with a slightly interesting storyline.

The best scenes in the episode are those featuring Sisko and Dax, alone. Intercharacter relationships were key to DS9, and this evolved into one of the most important. Even here, Avery Brooks and Terry Farrell have some great chemistry. Aside from Odo and Bashir, who each get secondary roles, the other characters are there mostly for the scenery.

The guest appearance by Anne Haney as a gruff, no-nonsense Bajoran judge is also welcome.
  • A reasonably effective courtroom drama which enables one of those great 'what is the nature of existence' debates that Trek so loves

'Dax' is a courtroom drama that effectively deals with some complex subject matter without excessively confusing the audience. It's well-scripted (by original series veteran DC Fontana, no less) and ably performed and the coda lends the episode a satisfying emotional resonance.

But it loses points, however, for its rather lethargic pacing. I'd be lying if I said that 'Dax' didn't drag in places, in spite of being directed by David Carson, who did such a great job with the pilot episode. But in spite of a propensity toward dullness, 'Dax' is still a solid, interesting and quietly poignant character piece that offers some neat character development for Dax - who at this point in the series is still a 'work in progess'.
  • What is it with American TV shows and trials?

Like every other show in the Star Trek franchise, the first season of Deep Space Nine starts out pretty slowly. As fans, we tell ourselves the reason for this is character development. Perhaps that is true, the writers and the actors are finding thier voices and episodes later in the season show a marked improvement over the ones that came before.

This early episode is very much about character development. Focused around the character Dax, it introduces the concept of the \"Joined Trill\" into the Star Trek universe. It also helps further explain the relationship between Dax and Sisko. In terms of charcter development, the episode might be considered important to ones that would come later, but the method used, a trial which features a lengthy debate about what it means to be a joined trill and what a joined trill\'s legal obligations are when hosts have changed, is tired.

Still, Americans are a litigious society and the court is a forum that allows a debate to occur in a setting that viewers can easily understand. It just doesn\'t make for good sci-fi or good legal drama. Tediously average. Ho-hum...
  • Like it...

After this episode, Dax became my favorite character. Her having lived so many lives can make for a very interesting situation, which is exactly what this is! Dax is being put on trial for a murder which Curzon is accused of having done, but even when there is information to clear her name, Sisko is wondering why Jadzia won't talk as he investigates the years-old murder. The ending is quite shocking, but I won't give it away. The mystery is great and isn't hard to follow.

This episode kind of introduces Dax to us, explains a little more about Trill, and in my opinion is a really good episode.