Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Destiny

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 13, 1995 on Syndicado

• Decent Filler Episode

Prophecies of doom have been popular throughout the history of man, because they come prepackaged with the perfect elements for drama: there's a warning, a ticking clock, and the question of its legitimacy. For fiction writers, prophecies are particularly irresistible because there's total control; they can manipulate the story however they want, because they control how it all turns out.

This episode has fun with a Nostradamus-like prophecy (which is never actually said in full and seems to subtly change throughout the episode). It might have even come from the wormhole aliens, which is a creative use of their previously established nature of existing outside of our linear time. (It's also nice to see Sisko's "Emmisary" status worked into the narrative of the story instead of simply being a As the plot unfolds, the writers avoid the predictable traps for stories of this type. (Like having everyone disbelieve an old prophetic warning because they think the superstition is silly, only to have it come true in the end; or having the protagonist do everything he can to stop a prophecy from happening, which only makes it come true in the end. The problem in either case is that we know the writer is pulling the strings and directing the story, and that negates any meaning or message from it The drama in "Destiny" doesn't really revolve around the outcome of the prophecy but instead how our characters react to it).

Interestingly, the writers cut Kai Winn a break by choosing another to be the antagonist. Louise Fletcher would have been fantastic as a proponent of the prophecy (especially if Winn had an ulterior motive) and her character would have needed no introduction or back-story development. On the other hand, it's probably better to keep her character from being overused and overexposed.

The episode does include a tacked on B story (tied into the A story) for Chief O'Brien; he and a Cardassian scientist have to deal with their cultural differences. The "story" doesn't go anywhere, but it's cute for what it is.
  • Siddig El Fadil does appear.

6.9
    Siddig El Fadil does appear - he says someone got sick drinking bad liquor that was \"on the house\" at Quarks.

It\'s crazy that this is the only way to send in a correction. I only watched half of this episode and saw the doctor. This show was on when I was in college, while I was a single mother with three children, so I never really saw it much.
  • Coming to terms with Bajor.

Upon first viewing this is an entertaining but not particularly noteworthy episode. It's only once you know what comes after that you realize its significance.

Up until this point, Sisko's "Emissary" title (bestowed by Kai Opaka in the show's first episode) was just that. It earned him respect from Bajorans, even those who disliked him; but he was an emissary in the sense of a diplomat, not a religious figure. After "Destiny", neither we nor the characters on the show could pretend that there was something much more significant behind the title.

When we hear about the prophecy, it's pretty obvious we know it will come true. But it's still significant in the re-evaluations it forces upon the main characters. Kira admits to herself that Sisko is not just her friend and commanding officer, but also a religious icon she worships. Sisko can no longer pretend he's just an ambassador.

There are nice little touches here - O'Brien's near-romance with a sexy Cardassian scientist, Sisko's nice vipers, the rogue Bajoran Vedek.

Worth watching even after you know how it turns out.