Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Ezri Dax

jackfloyd1973

[21]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    jadzia was funnier, ezri was hotter.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DistantWords

[22]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 7

When Ezri first came in, I wanted to really hate her since I was TOTALLY in love with Jadzeia (and was POed when she was killed). But, I could not bring myself to hate Ezri, and ended up loving her too. I ended up loving both characters, just in different ways.

But I still hate that Jadzeia had to die to bring in Ezri...

TREKOBSESSION

[23]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 2
    Ezri was not hotter...beautiful in a different way.. yes. Jaz was something else. I kind of think Terry farrell owed it to the dedicated fans to have completed her run on the show. I also think that the producers took it too far and too personal in killing her off and trying to replace her with Ezri. They didnt even show any clips of her in the final episode montage which I found rediculous, considering her contribution. Would have been nice to have put aside any contractual disputes and had Jadzia show up in the end to meet Sisko in the realm of the prophets.

cactusjack39

[24]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 30

They're both hot. I just think that Jadzia had more personality and a better body.

Batfreak99

[25]Apr 26, 2009
    I liked Ezri.

She was very different to Jadzia but still Dax.

Jadzia was one of my favorites so obviously I prefer her to Ezri. But they're both Dax and I love the Dax character so it was nice to see a brand new host and how she dealt with being joined.

I was very saddened by Jadzia's death at the end of season 6 but they kept her ''memory'' alive with constant references and through Ezri so it still felt like she was there in spirit. The last episode bugged me when she didn't feature in anyone's flashbacks. That stood out like a sore thumb in an otherwise excellent scene.

pferreira86

[26]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    I think it's rather brave yet crazy to introduce a new main character in your last season and a lot of Season 7 had to be devoted to her to develop her character. When she was first introduced I didn't dislike her as much as some of the other fans did but I think Ezri as a character suffered being crammed into one season. And that is odd considering the last season suffered from a lack of pace or focus.
    Edited on 04/27/2009 3:26am

Batfreak99

[27]Apr 27, 2009
    They definitely did too many episodes focusing on Ezri or incorporating her. It felt like the episodes before the last arc were a separate season to the last 10 eps too which was strange.

Technosquid

[28]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 3

I hated Ezri, but I don't blame the actress... she was cool in Cube.

She was almost the entire reason that I didn't like the final season very much.

Yaspaa

[29]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 79
    I was fuming at the time, Ezri's OK, she lacks the charisma of Jadzia though. Why did she leave? So she could get some poxy sitcom role, 1 more year, silly girl.

Sandorman

[30]Sep 8, 2010

Ezri Dax was the same omen that you saw in Sliders, when they replaced every character except for Rembrandt, even Quinn himself - but they didn't just kill him off and cast someone else come in as an unrelated guy, oh no, they were desperate at that point, and so they tried to hang onto the clout they had built up in the old character they lost by transplanting it into the new one, with the pathetic guise of the storyline of him being the fusion of himself and his brother. Not a good omen. No, when they replace a character and try to work in the assertion of it being the same character in a different body as a permanent replacement for that character, it signifies the beginning of the end, if not the end of the end. But I say, good riddence. Deep Space 9 was nowhere near as good as the original, next gen or voyager, though enterprise makes me angry. Not a SINGLE appearance of the Borg in all of Deep Space 9, always dominion this, gem hadar that, and it was always the same, same, same, like a 50s sitcom compared to the continuous random originality of the original series of the 60s. Quark was the only thing that ever made that show bearable, though there were a few moments. "Little Green Men", "Doctor Bashir, I presume", "Body Parts", "In the Cards", "The Magnificent Ferengi" and "Who Mourns for Morn", (and maybe "The Begotten", and maybe "Trials and Tribble-ations", but it was way too hyped) stand out above the other episodes in my opinion.

Sandorman

[31]Sep 8, 2010

Oh yeah, and the one with Rumpelstiltskin and the one where Kaiko is possessed by the enemy of the wormhole aliens who holds her body hostage. Those were pretty good too. But other than that (and unless I think of any others - but I'm not posting any more if I do), this one's kind of near the bottom of the Star Trek barrel. Actually I think it's a continual slope downward. The best was the original, then TNG, then voyager, then ds9 and then enterprise. It's just gotten so moralistic, and star fleet has developed so many shallow morals, it ticks me off, but in ds9, that's when they really emphasized how all the different alien races have these ridiculous religious beliefs. I very much doubt any species which becomes an interstellar civilization will have anything left of any religions they ever had, but we have each of them with these mutually exclusive beliefs and none of them are rational enough to give it a second thought. Sure, the Ferengi are going to the divine treasury when they die, even Nog doesn't question it. But the Klingons, they get to go to Stovocore, or however it's spelled (probably with 6 apostrophes), the Bjorans, oh with the Bjorans it's prophets this, prophets that, etcetera. It's just sad how heavily they worked ignorant primitive human superstitious natures into all the aliens, they should practically all be atheists.

pferreira86

[32]Sep 12, 2010

I understand where you're coming from, DS9 isn't for everyone due to it's lack of exploration but I couldn't disagree more. The writing was terrific compared to Voyager, not just terrific but it actually made sense! Deep Space Nine's writing was intelligent and as for Enterprise...if you've seen at least a season worth of episodes you can't honestly say it's not a little bit more exciting than Enterprise. Wink

jrsgalaxy

[33]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 14

DS9 was the dark side of the Federation at times. It didn't feature Picard always surrending to avoid conflicts. Sisko was the oppsoite of Picard and always attacked hard. They tried something new in developing a series with an overlaying story arc instead of stand alone episodes which I think worked great. Of all the Treks I think this one was the most creative and stood alone. I think Star Trek jumped the shark with Voyager though. Trying to please too many people at once made the show suffer from quality acting, writing and story plots. They wanted to be different in every aspect from a female Captain and Alien Cook. What were the coincidences that they bring on Neelix who knows how to cook and yes they need a cook. But because he's a native he knows the lay of the lands and what's edible and what's poisonous. Utter rubbage. I'm sure buying star charts for inhabited planets and the computer analyzing the day's haul would've been to far fetched. This show was supposed to be about exploration more than any other Trek due to the fact that they had neverbeen in this uadrant before. It ws supposed to be the Ultimate Voyage. But hey lets take out the exploration and adventure equation out of the show and focus on Neelix . Voyager had the best potential of all and was wasted. DS9 on the other hand capitalized on it.

archangelwho

[34]Jul 16, 2011
    • level: 18

lobomensch wrote:
    The Worf/Deanna couple was a stupid idea from the start. People that polar opposite of each other never get together, despite what soap writers want people to believe. I refuse to believe for one moment that a mild-mannered empath would set up house with someone with violent moods and a simmering temper, and be exposed to that on a daily basis.

This has alays been my point. Just think of all Deanna would had to face day and night, asleep or awake. It would have drove her mad sooner or later.

ChipsTheButler

[35]Jul 21, 2011
    • level: 9
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    What were the coincidences that they bring on Neelix who knows how to cook and yes they need a cook. But because he's a native he knows the lay of the lands and what's edible and what's poisonous. Utter rubbage. I'm sure buying star charts for inhabited planets and the computer analyzing the day's haul would've been to far fetched.

Neelix knew how to cook in the same sense that Sisko knew how to cook- it wasn't his main job (Neelix traded junk for a living) but he did it well (in his opinion). He took up the job of cook without the captain's permission because he saw a need and considered himself nearly useless as only a guide- and guides always know more than a basic star chart will. Go to another country and chat to a local for 5 minutes and you'll learn more than your Lonely Planet will tell you.

But yeah, the mess hall was supposed to be a dining area for the Captain and dignitaries, and Neelix took it without permission. It pissed Janeway off royally, but she understood where he was coming from once he explained. Well, she was a bit of a pushover.

I agree with your argument that Voyager didn't use its whole potential, but disagree with some of the finer points of what you are saying.

KingofIPirates

[36]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 32
    Never really cared much for either Dax, but I prefered Ezri simply for one incredibly amusing line she delivered perfectly.

pferreira86

[37]Jan 2, 2012

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Never really cared much for either Dax, but I prefered Ezri simply for one incredibly amusing line she delivered perfectly.
    What was that?

CircleCityEric

[38]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 10

Personally, I think Ezri Dax was an underrated character. The only thing I dislike about her was that she was only created to help round out the last season of Deep Space Nine. If she'd been introduced earlier (as a specimen of a Trill in Starfleet who wasn't interested in being joined), or if the show had gone on another year, either instance would've allowed for her character to be expanded upon. (Plus, it would've been less of a sharp deterrence from the death of Jadzia.)

In any case, I liked how she was able during that 10-hour conclusion arc to assert her own position on different issues, including the belief she expressed to Worf that the Klingon empire was dying and deserved to die. That's something neither of her predecessors would've said, whether they believed it or not.

Perhaps, one of the reasons why I like Ezri is that her arc almost seems like a throwback to the Voyager arc concerning Seven of Nine. When Seven of Nine was disconnected from the Borg collective, she was forced to adjust to an existence she wasn't at all prepared for. During the episode "The Gift," she was angry, frightened, confused, unable to pull herself together, up until the last scene of the episode when she was first seen wearing clothes and her own hair. The same can also be said for Ezri during "Shadows and Symbols" and "Afterimage," when we watch her struggling to do her duty while cycling through displays of five (out of eight) previous hosts' personalities. After a rough scrape with Worf and a very immature outburst from Garak, Ezri tries resigning and instead receives a dose of reverse psychology from Captain Sisko. Respectively, both characters had the same uphill struggle, and by the end of each series, both characters were at the top of the mountain, breathing freely.

CircleCityEric

[40]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 10

I bet the line was something like, "I hate to burst your bubble Worf, but it really wasn't that good."